Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    And then UGQ put a tab and snaps on the zipped footbox of their TQ's to close that hole. I have their 20°, sleep barefoot, and have never felt a draft.

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket
    I would say if you're buying from the cottage vendors, their temperature ratings are more comfort, not survival, because they're actually thinking we might use their quilts at those temperatures. That being said, it still helps to know if you're a warm or cold sleeper to know if you should adjust that. I can sleep comfortably with a 20°F set down to 20°F, so if you're never planning on going out colder than 30°, get a 30° set, and if you're anticipating unusually colder temps on a trip bring something else to supplement, just to make sure your head, hands, feet, and core stay warm. I had this happen on a recent trip where a couple nights were colder than expected and I was *partially* warm, but still comfortable enough to sleep, and I don't plan on being in colder temps so that works for me.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB mountainfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    I would say if you're buying from the cottage vendors, their temperature ratings are more comfort, not survival, because they're actually thinking we might use their quilts at those temperatures. That being said, it still helps to know if you're a warm or cold sleeper to know if you should adjust that. I can sleep comfortably with a 20°F set down to 20°F, so if you're never planning on going out colder than 30°, get a 30° set, and if you're anticipating unusually colder temps on a trip bring something else to supplement, just to make sure your head, hands, feet, and core stay warm. I had this happen on a recent trip where a couple nights were colder than expected and I was *partially* warm, but still comfortable enough to sleep, and I don't plan on being in colder temps so that works for me.
    This makes the most sense to me. I don’t want to be dismissive of any advice I’ve been given, but 30 degrees is about the bottom for me. So if their comfort rated I should be fine with that. That being said I do easily get cold when sleeping even if it’s warm and just windy, so that does give me some pause to lean towards the 20 degree.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I like my 20° under quilts here in TN their perfect. Use them summer & winter.

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmil78 View Post
    This makes the most sense to me. I don’t want to be dismissive of any advice I’ve been given, but 30 degrees is about the bottom for me. So if their comfort rated I should be fine with that. That being said I do easily get cold when sleeping even if it’s warm and just windy, so that does give me some pause to lean towards the 20 degree.
    When you say that you easily get cold when it's warm and windy, do you mean without any insulation underneath? You're already losing body heat without any insulation, some people get cool even in warm summer months at night, and if it's windy, then that's accelerating your heat loss. If you're generally a cold sleeper than you may want to be on the cautious side with your quilts, it really depends on your body and the conditions that you anticipate. I have been able to use a 20°F set from teens to 60's and I'm looking for a warmer set myself now just to lighten the load for summer hikes, but I could use my current set for most of the year if I needed to. I've found down has a fairly wide temperature range of comfort.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB mountainfly
    Sorry, didn’t mean to be vague....cold with no insulation. I’m still back and forth in my mind on what I need but have about two weeks before the bonus check hits so plenty of time to get it sorted.

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket
    I will say I’ve never regretted having more insulation than necessary, but certainly less, so if you’re going to err on one side, that’s the side I’d err on, whatever that temp rating is, 30, 20, etc.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB mountainfly
    Can’t argue that logic....20 degree it is! Thank you all so much for the info and perspectives.

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    Check out the Trail Winder from Simply Light Designs. In my opinion its more comfortable and easier to adjust than a standard UQ. Plus its its great at blocking the wind.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/produ...winder-asym-uq
    Last edited by chromedome; 03-27-2021 at 10:48.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB mountainfly
    B99B3BA7-051D-4FA0-8D24-D4F3665EB726.jpegOk, looked at everything recommended and decided upon a 30 degree top/bottom. Asked some friends I usually camp with and nighttime temps are around mid 40s (once high 30s) so I feel like I’ll be fine. I realize most aspects of selecting a quilt are subjective, but does anyone see something I should rethink, or take into account that I might not be seeing ( or know to look for)?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast