Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter hammocking: Super toasty during night, cold in early morning

Hi hammock friends!

Sorry if posting in wrong forum

I have winter hammocked a couple of nights last months and mostly enjoy it.

I usually wake up super warm and sweaty in the middle of the night. And then I fall a sleep again a couple of hrs waking up cold and freezing.

Now I'm thinking maybe this happened because I was sweating earlier during the night? Anyone Recognizes this? Thinking whatever I should challenge my self with less insulation.

Thanks

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It's not unique to hammock camping. I just got back from a trip with my son's scout troop and several of them had the same issue in tents. They were wearing 3-4 layers of clothes and had extra blankets inside 20-30 degree sleeping bags, most of them on closed cell foam pads (R4 range). Overnight temps were around 24-26

Well, they had that problem the first night. The second night, they actually listened to us leaders and all slept better with fewer (like, just one) layers of clothes and properly venting their bags if they started sweating.

I was using an SLD Trail Lair with a 20 degree SLD Trail Winder UQ and a HG 20 degree economy Burrow. I had a little bit of CBS both nights because the UQ was either too loose or two tight.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    dfgh45, If I have to get up to pee at night, my body “helps” with the motivation by stopping the heat production so that’s a possible “non-hammock” situation.

CVKealey’s comment about the UQ possibly being too tight is a little strange. Because HG’s UQ’s have a differential cut. That means - when installed properly, the bottom layer is cut fuller than the top. So putting the UQ tight to the hammock will not compress the loft. In one his videos, Shug suggests that when out of the hammock, the UQ should be tight enough to raise it a bit.

But not all UQ’s are made with a differential cut. If it is not, then setup is more critical because you want it tight enough to stop heat robbing draft but not so tight that it compresses the down.

For me, the first night out - after being away from it for awhile - is always and adjustment. So I try to sleep in the hammock at least a couple times a week at home. Also lets me try out various combinations of TQ/UQ/UQP’s If I get cold, I just come inside.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    It's not unique to hammock camping. I just got back from a trip with my son's scout troop and several of them had the same issue in tents. They were wearing 3-4 layers of clothes and had extra blankets inside 20-30 degree sleeping bags, most of them on closed cell foam pads (R4 range). Overnight temps were around 24-26

Well, they had that problem the first night. The second night, they actually listened to us leaders and all slept better with fewer (like, just one) layers of clothes and properly venting their bags if they started sweating.

I was using an SLD Trail Lair with a 20 degree SLD Trail Winder UQ and a HG 20 degree economy Burrow. I had a little bit of CBS both nights because the UQ was either too loose or two tight.

That Trail Winder isn't going to be too tight. All the insulation is on the outside, so go ahead and snug it up.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    That Trail Winder isn't going to be too tight. All the insulation is on the outside, so go ahead and snug it up.
    That's what I thought, but I definitely felt some cold spots, basically right under my butt or hip (if on my side). Maybe the 5.0 oz. Apex just wasn't up to the 24-26 degree temps. I should have taken my Incubator.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I have his 20° and been in the teens w/ it. I'm not sure, w/o searching up a chart, what the 5oz is but I have heard the quilts w/ a lower temp rating are able to pass below that temp and still be warm much easier than ones that are in the 40-50° range.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I have his 20° and been in the teens w/ it. I'm not sure, w/o searching up a chart, what the 5oz is but I have heard the quilts w/ a lower temp rating are able to pass below that temp and still be warm much easier than ones that are in the 40-50° range.
    I bought it used and was told it's the 20 degree version. I thought that was 5 oz Apex, but it's actually 6 oz. If you don't mind me asking, what is the weight of yours? And sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    I bought it used and was told it's the 20 degree version. I thought that was 5 oz Apex, but it's actually 6 oz. If you don't mind me asking, what is the weight of yours? And sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

I do not have a scale, so can't tell you.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Do you gather up the sides? W/ the TW I have found that if I don't gather the sides (there is shock cord w/ cordlocks in the sides) then I will get some major heat loss. Once the sides are gathered up enough to keep the quilt spread side to side I find it very warm.

Hope that makes sense.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Circling back to the original poster's question:

dfgh45, it might be helpful if you could give a little more info about what gear you're using for insulation, and whether or not you're making any changes in the middle of the night - for example, when you wake up extremely hot, do you remove layers, vent your insulation, etc.?

I've had the opposite effect happen many times, especially in winter. Often I've felt a little cold after getting into the hammock, or at least a few cold spots, even after getting up and making a few adjustments. In those situations I usually have fallen asleep thinking that either it'll sort itself out or I'll wake up even colder and take care of it at that point, only to wake up hours later toasty and warm. In those circumstances I've figured that it is likely that for some reason, possibly my base layers being a touch damp (or too many clothing layers), it takes a little bit longer for my body heat to radiate out and warm up my insulation but that once it happens (after I've fallen asleep) I'm fine for the rest of the time.

The few times that I've woken up very warm, fallen back asleep and then woken up chilly, it's been because when I woke up and realized I was sweating I did something to 'fix' it, like remove a layer, or loosen the top/neck cinch on my top quilt a bit too much, or even fold the top quilt down and take my arms out.

I've woken up extremely warm plenty of times - I tend to overshoot my needed insulation ratings just to be cautious - but I don't ever remember a time when I've woken up warm and sweating, done nothing to change my setup, and then fallen back asleep and woken up again later cold.

Edit: despite my personal experience, here's a prior thread that has many pages of discussion on a similar topic, that might help or provide some info and insight:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...he-early-hours
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 03-22-2021 at 08:38.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast