one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR

Pole Mods

I have some .344 poles that I use for an exterior mod and I'm thinking of ordering some for the interior, can I just use the same diameter?

I've also been wondering about abrasion on the tarp. I've heard that a lot of people don't like the poles against the tarp on the outside and always put them over a ridgeline. Do the interior mod poles not do the same to the inside as what is feared on the outside?

Images
    I have internal poles from both UGQ and SLD and they are the diameter you mentioned. I once had a set of Warbonnet external poles, which were a little thinner, as I recall.

I've never worried much about abrasion, but keep in mind with external poles, all the loads are applied to the small areas where the pole contacts the ridge seam (and to the panel pulls, irrespective of whether you run the pole over the ridgeline or not). With internal poles, loads are distributed along almost the full length of the poles.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think the interior poles are more stable - less (if any) potential for rubbing. I don’t have a set yet, but I’m getting there. A lot of setups I’ve seen have some kind of interior loop/keeper for the top arch of the pole. Like a nylon loop the pole goes through or some line, from the end of the tarp to the poles,that acts as a tether - especially if the poles are angled towards the tarp center a bit.

There are things the you can show “in the lab”, vs the effect during practical use. Unfortunately, my tarps don’t get used nearly as much as I’d like. And as I have more than one, it also reduces the number of times a year it might be exposed to any wear. At most, someday I might have to reapply a little seam seal. That said, I run my exterior poles over the ridgeline. It gives a better lift angle. But I wouldn’t hesitate to use interior poles if I had the setup. If I used my tarp/poles so often that they wore out, I’d be a happy boy.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Thanks for the confirmation on pole size.

As far as wearing stuff out, I will definitely wear mine out. Unlike most of you my rig does not have room for a gear closet. If I'm not using it then I won't give it space.
    I don't think my hammock has been down since December (except when we change camp locations) and the tarp lives in a skin above it and is used almost daily now that the winter is over and the desert sun is pushing temps back up into the 80's

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    All I can say is I'LL NEVER OWN ANOTHER TARP WITH SIDE PULL OUTS! First time I used the poles, over the ridge line, on my superfly I left my site for awhile and when I got back the tarp was on the hammock, still staked down, but the yellow ridge line with hardware had broke and the poles had almost rubbed thru my tarp. I have no idea how the ridge line broke, something I did, sun got to hot, wind gust or bad ridge line. I would post pictures but not smart enough. I repaired my tarp with silicone so I still use and I DEFINITELY use a stronger type ridge line. Never had another problem.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I've played a little with internal and external poles. Then decided, why bother. If im in the hammock, im going to sleep. Ill use a pole or tie out for porch mode if I'm sitting out a storm.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I'm hoping that they work for us. I practically live out of my hammock. Between our two rigs and the hammock/tarp setup, which is just part of our living space, the hammock space is the most comfortable. That makes the tarp up pretty much daily for shade.
    I do have poles that I could use in our base camp but nothing that I would take kayaking or bikepacking.
    The goal is that I can use these to open it up into a porch mode while using it for shade, as well as to open it up more when we sleep double under it on those adventures.
    Trees are pretty much not an option as a way to tie up one side in that mod as well don't have that many of them around until we go north later in the season.

I also pretty much don't trust the tarp set up while we are out of camp. Because of that I had Jared at SLD make us some waterproof sleeves for the hammocks and when we leave camp everything gets skinned.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Ok now that I have the poles to do an interior pole mod, and have used them a few times, what it the trick to putting them in w/o feeling like I'm going to poke a hole through my tarp in the process?
    I'm sure after enough times setting them up I'd figure a good way . . . but I'd be happy to shortcut that learning curve.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    You will love internal poles for the ability to quickly and easily go from hunker-down mode with lots of width where it counts to full-on porch mode without needing to move a stake or use any extra lines. Use something like linelocs or namaclaws on your tieouts and it has that gee-whiz cool factor as the poles do all the work. The other little thing I appreciate in a tight camp set-up is that your tieouts go from long diagonal trip hazards that have to be moved when going full porch mode to shorter and entirely vertical.

Not sure how to help with your pole attachment set up but mine are diy attached by threading a keychain type slip-ring through the same grosgrain loop that has my corner beastie Ds on the "inside" of the Ds. The end of my poles have plastic wire nuts screwed on with "wings" that are too big to fit through the split rings. I set the tarp up, loosely stake the corners out about 3 feet from the ridgeline and can stand in the center and usually just guide one pole tip into the slip ring that is typically self aligned pretty well, bend the other end in a big U and slip it in the same way, rotate the center of the pole arc up to the internal ridgeline and attach. Turn around and do the same for the other end. Super simple. If it is windy I might have to work from the pole end, back to center and down to the other end while maintaining tension but it is the same concept and not a big deal.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    You will love internal poles for the ability to quickly and easily go from hunker-down mode with lots of width where it counts to full-on porch mode without needing to move a stake or use any extra lines. Use something like linelocs or namaclaws on your tieouts and it has that gee-whiz cool factor as the poles do all the work. The other little thing I appreciate in a tight camp set-up is that your tieouts go from long diagonal trip hazards that have to be moved when going full porch mode to shorter and entirely vertical.

Not sure how to help with your pole attachment set up but mine are diy attached by threading a keychain type slip-ring through the same grosgrain loop that has my corner beastie Ds on the "inside" of the Ds. The end of my poles have plastic wire nuts screwed on with "wings" that are too big to fit through the split rings. I set the tarp up, loosely stake the corners out about 3 feet from the ridgeline and can stand in the center and usually just guide one pole tip into the slip ring that is typically self aligned pretty well, bend the other end in a big U and slip it in the same way, rotate the center of the pole arc up to the internal ridgeline and attach. Turn around and do the same for the other end. Super simple. If it is windy I might have to work from the pole end, back to center and down to the other end while maintaining tension but it is the same concept and not a big deal.
    Thanks! Something you said made it click for me. I realized that most people probably have the poles shock corded together and mine are loose. That causes me to assemble them from one side until I'm past halfway and then connect the shorter leg . . . all under the tarp.
    Part of that is because I was just using hardware that was already on the tarp and they are hooks that I hook up inside the pole ends. So endings w/ shock cord attachments didn't seem like they were going to work for me.

I can see that it's time for a fittings redesign.
    And I am loving this style of set up. Hanging under it right now on a day of off & on rain w/ it up in Porch Mode. Came back from a photography adventure (since kayaking got rained out) and just grabbed the linelocks, lifted both and the side opens right up.
    The poles break down and go right in my hatch, . . . so shade, view, and hanging on a sandy beach w/ no one else in sight is one step closer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast