DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket

Shipping?

I just ordered a Mountainfly a couple days ago, and the website only gave UPS ground as an option, but the shipping page mentions USPS. I was shocked to see how expensive the shipping was- almost $25 for a 1lb tarp. For comparison, I just shipped my HG DCF tarp w/$300 insurance added for $11.

I sent an email to Warbonnet right afterwards to see if this is normal, or possibly a mistake. I'm hopeful they'll respond on Monday and everything will get sorted out. But I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience when ordering through their website. This is my first time ordering from WB, and I'm really looking forward to my new tarp!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    [QUOTE=rweb82;2048697]I just ordered a Mountainfly a couple days ago, and the website only gave UPS ground as an option, but the shipping page mentions USPS. I was shocked to see how expensive the shipping was- almost $25 for a 1lb tarp. For comparison, I just shipped my HG DCF tarp w/$300 insurance added for $11.

I sent an email to Warbonnet right afterwards to see if this is normal, or possibly a mistake. I'm hopeful they'll respond on Monday and everything will get sorted out. But I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience when ordering through their website. This is my first time ordering from WB, and I'm really looking forward to my new tarp!
    I just received my minifly from from them and experienced the same thing. My shipping was $18.85. I’m on the east coast so thought maybe there system automatically chose it based on location. I was shocked though when I got shipping notification it said 2 days. Ended up taking 3. Not bad at all. Maybe they’ve had it with complaints on usps?
    kris
    Last edited by Kmazuro; 03-21-2021 at 08:25.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I bought a Superfly during the 2020 Memorial Day sale...20% off saved $27, but the shipping was $15.15 to central Florida.

I bought an Eldorado during the 2019 Memorial Day sale...$75, with $14.50 shipping.

My first purchase was Black Friday 2018, a Thunderfly for $108, with $7.85 shipping.

During one of the Hammock Gear big sales, I mentioned if UPS or FedEx would be cheaper over USPS and Harry chimed in with USPS being the cheapest. I would still like the option though, because during all the USPS delays/issues during the holidays I would've probably gone with UPS/FedEx. I guess we're just spoiled with Amazon Prime.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    The last tarp I bought from them was in 2019. Shipping was $12.75 to GA. Bought another tarp in 2018 and Priority Mail was only $7.60. The times they are a changin!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Thanks for all the replies. I live in Illinois, so I think shipping should be cheaper than going from CO to GA or FL.

Last edited by rweb82; 03-21-2021 at 11:17.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    So I went and looked at the shipping costs on the USPS website, from zip code 80439 to 32832: $15.50 for the priority mail, 2 day, medium flat rate box. $8.45 for the small and $21.90 for the large.

I went to the UPS site, did the UPS Simple Rate Medium, $150 value, 80439/commercial to 32832/residential: $38.30 for 2 day air, $29.95 for 3 day select, $19.60 for UPS Ground.

Finally, FedEx Retail rate, medium box, 2lbs: $46.33 FedEx 2 day/by 8pm and $35.36 for FedEx Express Saver. FedEx OneRate (?), medium box, 2 lbs: $26.60 FedEx 2 day/by 8pm, and $12.65 for FedEx Express Saver.

Man, I guess I am spoiled by Amazon Prime.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, JrB, HG
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Shipping?

Just bought a wookie a few weeks ago and shipping was $24 to SC with UPS as the only option. Would have been nice to have a USPS option available.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I live in Illinois, so I think shipping should be cheaper than going from CO to GA or FL.

One of the advantages of USPS is that postage is the same irrespective of distance. Even shipping to Alaska or Hawaii costs exactly the same as shipping something to your next door neighbor. (I often wonder why people only include shipping to the "lower 48" in the For Sale forum). Not so for UPS where distance is one of the factors. UPS can be cheaper than USPS for a retail customer to ship larger boxes, but for shipping a package sized for something like a tarp, I've almost always found USPS to be cheaper.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-21-2021 at 13:40.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Just so I understand, was the shipping charge from the company higher than the rate charged by the carrier? Boxes, tape and people's time to get it done all cost money, too.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    One of the advantages of USPS is that postage is the same irrespective of distance. Even shipping to Alaska or Hawaii costs exactly the same as shipping something to your next door neighbor. (I often wonder why people only include shipping to the "lower 48" in the For Sale forum). Not so for UPS where distance is one of the factors. UPS can be cheaper than USPS for a retail customer to ship larger boxes, but for shipping a package sized for something like a tarp, I've almost always found USPS to be cheaper.
    That's not true. I ship from new Jersey (just outside Philadelphia) and the further west I go the higher the rate with usps. Alaska and Hawaii are even higher. And forget it if the box has a side over 12". My rate is based on an average, so locally I usually pay a little less than rate, but if I ship to Washington I might pay double. Shipping has gotten to be a major issue, especially since the carriers no longer provide the service we have been used to. It's very frustrating to pay these rates and watch a package sit for a week at my regional post office. Unfortunately I've found that fedex is my fastest, most reliable option, but they are at least 50% higher than usps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast