Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    AHE uq, AHE tq
    Suspension
    buckles

new smiling hanger

Hello hammockers,

Wanted to say hello from Mendocino county, CA. I'm a 65 yo lifetime enjoyer of being outdoors and communing with nature. A boy scout back in the 60's, when I learned to tie a few knots. While I used to backpack a lot, now it's only occasionally. Lightweight gear is nice, but less important than effective and durable gear. Mostly I canoe/kayak and car camp these days. After casually hanging for naps while on hikes, for many years, I decided to give hammock camping a try, as often the ground is a rocky & unlevel challenge for tents. A couple of nights in an eno double (which has been fine for naps) and I was having serious doubts about being able to get a good night's sleep, being a side sleeper with some neck damage.

After reading several posts on this forum I decided to give a bridge warbonnet dbl layer ridge runner a try, it looks quite promising for side sleep camping. It's scheduled to arrive in a couple days, yeah. For now I'll use a camp pad for insulation along with my warm, synthetic bag, and likely get a nice underquilt, later. WW has the down, light lynx uq. But I'm hesitant to get a down insulation that possibly could get wet on rivers/lakes adventures (even though gear is kept in dry bags; accidents happen). I've usually used synthetic sleeping bags for this reason. Any advice on down or synthetic uq for a ridge runner in wet conditions would be appreciated. Wishing you happy hanging.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

You've made a solid choice with the Ridgerunner...I have several and love them, as they allow me to sleep in my rotisserie fashion, sleeping on one side and then the other throughout the night. The double layer allows you to put a nice wide pad inside to give you a fantastic platform for comfortable sleeping. I have experience with a Nemo Tensor Insulated wide pad, which is 25" and works beautifully. I use it in the summer when I'm not needing the warmth of down insulation under me.

I can't comment on the down / synthetic question other than to say the only place I know to get a bridge / Ridgerunner-specific synthetic UQ is Arrowhead Equipment. They make the "Ridge Creek" UQs for the Ridgerunner and are supposed to be top notch. My UQs are from Loco Libre and all down. His stuff is superb but you've got to be patient with his long (like 15+ week) lead times.

Have fun here and in the trees! It's a great hobby.

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket
    I second the use of the Nemo Tensor wide/long with the RR, especially if you have the double layer. No concerns with wet conditions here. If you're particularly concerned about wet conditions, I think Canadark is right about AHE being the only synthetic option for a bridge hammock. If you're looking into down, then you will probably want to make sure that it's hydrophobic to decrease water absorption. WB uses this type of down, and other vendors do as well, so I'd make sure to ask about that depending on the vendor.

Hammock
    WBRR, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    AHE uq, AHE tq
    Suspension
    buckles
    Smiling to your kind reply and sharing your wbrr expertise, Canadark. The double layer sounded helpful for securing a pad, as I've experienced slipping on pads while on uneven ground in a tent. First, I'll see how well a couple old foam sleeping pads insulate in moderate temps, before investing in those warmer options. Sounds like you're warm and cozy in those custom quilts. I'll post more when I'm up and relaxing.

Hammock
    WBRR, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    AHE uq, AHE tq
    Suspension
    buckles
    Thank you, Sherlock for providing more understanding about underquilts. I'll look into hydrophobic down options. I mean, if it works for geese it should work for me.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Wife & I both use RR bridge hammocks. I have the synthetic from Aerrohead. 25°. I got her the 20° down from Warbonnet. Both are very good quality. The down is a little warmer but also runs a little over $100 more than the synthetic. She want camp in the real Cold (for her that's 32° F) that's when I use both & stack them to get down low as I want.

AHE has very fast turn around time and a well made quilt if you decide to go synthetic. I planned to get a down UQ to replace my Jarbridge but one night in a pea soup fog and a day and night of drizzle made me question down.

Hammock
    WBRR, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    AHE uq, AHE tq
    Suspension
    buckles
    Wonderful that you both hang in rr's. I imagine having a range of quilts add versatility towards enjoyment, whether hiking, biking, paddling or car camping. Great planning.

Hammock
    WBRR, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    AHE uq, AHE tq
    Suspension
    buckles
    Thanks for the helpful info. It's ordered and on the way. I've been satisfied with synthetic bags since the 80's. I can appreciate the lightness, compatibility and longevity of good down. Not so good getting wet, although I hear some treated down manages to recover from wetness better than before.

• + New Posts