Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    That's why everyone wants to see a DCF Thunderfly...some day
    I've already been pondering a MYOG version. If someone will just make it, well then it's "take my money" time!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiedog View Post
    Your experience is sort of selling me on the Thunderfly even more, since it provides the same width coverage, but the beak style doors are less of a nuisance, even when fully deployed.
    My issue with managing the doors is the fact that you have to remember to undo them before sliding the snakeskin back over the tarp, because the tiebacks are elastic. If you forget to do this, the tarp turns into a large scrunchie, and then you have to open everything back up and undo the tiebacks. So it's really user error, but still something I tend to forget at least 30% of the time!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I don't have any elastic on mine. The two triangles on each door simply clip together, then you use whatever cordage you want to tie out to the tree. When I pull the snakeskin back over the tarp, sometimes I have them loose, other times clipped together and it doesn't make any difference.

Maybe you are referring to elastic with something like the superfly, which most people use on doors? I could see that becoming a scrunchie but never tired it with them clipped together.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I almost always have my doors hooked together, from one end to the other, on the inside and skin them that way w/ no issues. I most not be understanding what you mean.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Maybe you are referring to elastic with something like the superfly, which most people use on doors? I could see that becoming a scrunchie but never tired it with them clipped together.
    Yep, I was referring to a tarp w/ full doors.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I totally understand your mindset of getting two silpoly tarps for the same $$. There is definitely logic to that. FWIW, I've used my HG DCF tarp w/doors in some pretty nasty winds and below freezing temps, and it has performed just fine for me. IMO, taking the time to learn how to properly pitch a tarp for various conditions goes a lot further in terms of real-world success than just relying on tarp size. A well-pitched smaller tarp can perform better than a poorly pitched large tarp. That's not to say there aren't benefits to having a tarp w/ more side coverage. They are more forgiving if you happen to have a less-than-ideal pitch.

In all honesty, I kinda wish my tarp didn't have doors, as I never use them. I'm one of those crazy people who like to feel the wind when they sleep. So the doors are just another thing I have to deal with when setting up/taking down my tarp. But there is no right or wrong line of thinking, just what you think will work best for you.
    I have actually removed doors from tarps for customers. They wanted the ease of setup and the initial 'needing a tent' feel went away. Everyone has their something..

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    I have actually removed doors from tarps for customers. They wanted the ease of setup and the initial 'needing a tent' feel went away. Everyone has their something..
    Yeah, I've contemplated trading mine for the hex model. I've never felt the need to be enclosed inside my tarp, but thought doors would be nice to have "just in case." I suppose with DCF, it's not much of a weight savings between the hex & door models.

Now if I could get a hex model with the same width as the Palace, that would be ideal!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I can hardly remember ever using full doors. During winter on one side only I guess. But the small "flaps" on a mini/thunderfly make a HUGE difference. Rain and wind is always variable and doesn't take much to magically float inside. Light mist is the worst. But those flaps seem to keep it all out without obstructing the view.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    For us out here in the desert we get some serious winds, 10-15 mph is considered normal, up to 30 mph common. It's also common that the wind will kick up right as its starting to rain and push it sideways for a bit before dying down.
    For me doors are almost a necessity. I often have one end mostly closed and the other up in half porch mode. Or one side out like a leanto, doors included, and the other up in p-m. Even w/ my tarp being 12,' w/o doors I would have been wet a few times already this year.

And no, its not because I don't know how to use a tarp. I've tarp camped most of my life. Sure, if I wanted it right on my hammock ridgeline, but in our short tree environment that would often mean I almost have to crawl into it. We're happy when we can get butts 6" off the ground in the hammocks.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone! What I intentionally failed to mention was I had already impulse purchased a seconhand Zpacks DCF tarp w/ doors . I didn't want the "you already own it, just stick with it" line of thinking to get in the way. Thanks to the confirmation of several helpful comments, I took the plunge and sold the dcf tarp. With those funds, I'll now be able to purchase a Minifly, Superfly, and a Dream Freebird. With the weight savings of no zipper/net on the Freebird, my winter setup of a Superfly + Freebird will be nearly the same weight as my Darien + Zpacks tarp would have been, with the benefit of better coverage. Plus, all that gear seems more fun than a single piece right now

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12