WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles

Thoughts on under/top quilts

Yesterday I had the chance to test my 20 deg Wooki with my top quilt which is a 40 deg Western Mountaineering MytLite bag that has a separate zippered footbox that I have used for about 15 years. I had my Thunderfly staked out pretty tight with the beaks really tightened down. The weather was horrible outside - very windy, sleet, rain 37 degs outside ambient temperature. I was toasty with no issues, wind gust blew the sides in a bit from time to time and occasionlly a gust would find its way inside and kind of balloon the tarp, but no issues.

Kudos once again to Brandon and the folks at Warbonnet! I bought one of the early Blackbirds from him waaaaaay back and they have never let me down!

Now a question: I'm thinking about purchasing a new topquilt and recycling the MytLite to my 14 year old son. It is older and has some wear and tear on it and, like most of us, I am a gear junky and have withdrawals if I am not buying something new for my collection every few months...So, my question to you all relates to comfort with top quilts. To me, when I got the Wooki, I pretty much have determined that the top quilt is LESS important from a warmth and comfort persepctive as the Wooki makes such a huge difference. I am tempted to go with the lightest top quilt that Warbonnet makes as for the most part I have never been cold with my current set up, but with a lighter, maybe 50 deg topquilt, I may use it more as most of my hammocking is in weather that is above 45-50 degrees.

Do you all have the same experience with the bottom quilt making that much of a difference as compared to the top quilt? Just curious....

MityLite is an excellent and super versatile bag/quilt that is going to be hard to beat. I recommend looking at the Feathered Friends Flicker lineup, which is about the only product that is in the same league as the MityLite as an all-around utility player, IMHO...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, I feel you can push the top quilt to lower temps since you can always layer up clothes. However, that under quilt is harder to supplement. My 40/40 HG Burrow/Phoenix (3/4 length) works just fine into the low 50s. However once it drops to the 40s, and if there's a breeze, I better have a foam pad or something for the footbox because I will feel the cold. I know, because I didn't bring the pad and had a less than ideal night sleeping.

Since the Wooki is full length, you probably could get by with a 50F rated top quilt. If you don't plan on camping in less than 45F weather...but, what if you do? Buy more gear!

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Streamliner
    Tarp
    MAC Cat
    Insulation
    Simply Light UQ
    Suspension
    SLD whoopies
    Buy more gear hell yeah

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m about to pull the trigger on a SL BlackBird and 20° Wookie. Did you have any overstuff added to yours?

I was worried a little about that 20° in warmer temps, but even in the summer, at tree line altitude in can get nippy in the mountains. And I have ¾ 40° UQ’s for the really warm/hot season.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    One thing to consider is most 50* top quilts are sewn through with 1" loft, while 40* is typically a 1" baffle with 1.5" total loft. The baffle will make the 40* feel more than 10* warmer as soon as the wind and cold humidity pick up, based on my experience.

Personally I avoid sewn through quilts unless its a true summer quilt that will never be pushed below the mid 50's. (I move hot but sleep cold, so consider that too)

Its all preference, but I would go with a 40* as you have more buffer against bad weather/wind and a 40* quilt is still very light - around or under a pound depending on if its a premium or regular version. JMO.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I totally agree, mcimes. Isn’t it crazy how those little needle holes become teensy tunnels of cold air at lower temps. Baffles all the way.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For me, 50deg TQ and UQ actually work at 50°F but I surely would not want to take them to lower temps.

So if 50°F is the lowest temp you will encounter, by all means get them. I consider mine a sort of 'specialty set' for warm seasons and I use them a lot as part of my borderline SUL (~6.5lb base) backpacking kit.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For me, 50deg TQ and UQ actually work at 50°F but I surely would not want to take them to lower temps.

So if 50°F is the lowest temp you will encounter, by all means get them. I consider mine a sort of 'specialty set' for warm seasons and I use them a lot as part of my borderline SUL (~6.5lb base) backpacking kit.
    Yeah, for me, the 20 deg Wooki makes sub 40 ambient temps comfortable sleeping even with the 40 deg MytyLite.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Kayt ... in a sewn through it isn't the needle holes that create the issue, it is that at those points there is zero insulation .... the needle holes are there on every quilt, baffled included .. they aren't an issue.

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast