Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What Knot System/Guyline Tensioner Do You Use For Your Tarp?

Hello everyone! As I am slowly acquiring everything I need to move away from the tent life, I am learning the ins and outs of sleeping in a hammock. My question is this: what system do you use for your tarp guylines? On my tent, it came with a 3 hole plastic guyline tensioner (similar to these, but with smaller holes). I never had a problem with them, but feel they're not the most elegant solution. I am interested in hearing what you use for your guylines.

Things I have considered so far: Z-pack linelocs, prusik knots, some kind of knot like the beckett hitch (IDK I am still learning knots). I actually bought few of the Simply Light Designs plastic 3 hole guyline tensioners, but the holes are quite a bit bigger than the ones that came with my tent.

Ideally, I want my guylines to stay attached to my tent, so that pretty much eliminates things like the Dutchware tarpworm.

Marlin spike hitch zing-it to ground stake, pull to desired tension and plant stake at 90 degree angle to the angle of the line.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tennistime99 View Post
    Marlin spike hitch zing-it to ground stake, pull to desired tension and plant stake at 90 degree angle to the angle of the line.

Couldn't have said it better. This is where I settled after trying lots of different gizmos and creatures. I still have a tarp or two with Lineloc 3 hardware attached, but the method above is cheapest, lightest, simple, and very effective.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like and still use tarp tensioner made with a piece of guyline and shockcord.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snel6424 View Post
    Ideally, I want my guylines to stay attached to my tent, so that pretty much eliminates things like the Dutchware tarpworm.
    In the most common usage of Tarpworms, the guylines are left attached to the tarp. You might be thinking of Hookworms, which are typically used with guylines that stay with the stakes, and the hardware 'hooks' into loops of cord at the tarp corners.

Both are very effective, don't slip, and can be used with the smallest of lines, but they can also be a little fiddly for fat, cold, or gloved fingers.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-15-2021 at 22:38.

Images
    I use a midshipmans sliding knot to put an adjustable loop on the end of the line. I also put a shockcord rubberband on the tarp corners for automatic stretch.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tennistime99 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Couldn't have said it better. This is where I settled after trying lots of different gizmos and creatures. I still have a tarp or two with Lineloc 3 hardware attached, but the method above is cheapest, lightest, simple, and very effective.
    +1 for me. I also incorporate 1/8" shock cord just like Shug does. Never needed hardware tensioners. My only variation is that I don't permanently affix my lines to my tarp. I have a couple of different tarps and I like using the same guylines for whichever tarp I'm taking. So I attached hooks to the tarp end of my guylines. It makes them easy to connect to any of my tarps.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The knots I use for tarps are 1) Midshipman's hitch to tie tarp ridge line to tree, 2) Prusik to tie tarp to ridge line, 3) Blake's hitch loops (adjustable) to tie to corner guy points, and 4) Clove hitch to tie guy line to stakes. Prusik and Blake's are fixed so those are tied once and done. That's it... fully adjustable and zero hardware.

What is absolutely necessary is a cord that works well with knots, such as Lawson Glowire or Guywire. Not Zing-it or other Dyneema cords.

Hammock webbing (Kevlar) to CL I use a slipped Lapp Hitch. At the tree, either slipped Buntline hitch or Evo loops. Again, no hardware.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    I use a taut line hitch on all my guy lines.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I've tried a few option over the past few yrs and settled on Line Locks. They are attached to the tarp with masonline and the tie-outs are threaded. The soft round edges post no threat to the tarp fabric and they are easy to adjust with or without gloves. Easy to work by feel, in the dark and they don't freeze. Also cheap, I got 20 or 30 for about 10$.

Sent from my couch

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast