Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Add an extra loop under them like Myers does and they tend to work better. I have one end of my tarp done that way on the ridgeline and the other as just a standard pussik. The one w/ the extra loop functions much better.
    Yeah, +1 to that. I’ve started including zipper pulls into them when I tie them, and they do seem to be holding.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Double post. Sorry.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I got away from knots because I went to smaller line, zing-it. I dont like tying or untying and adjusting especially when cold and wet. Ive found a preference for the Line Locks because of their speed and simplicity and since they remain attached to the tarp with the line in place, I never have to look for them.
    The tarp ridge line is different. I use a single with prussic (spelling) knots. I have a ring worm on one end to catch the line after looping the tree. The other end has a Dutch fly to lock it off. The tarp is connected and positioned with the prussic. Subject to change when I find something I like better.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

What Knot System/Guyline Tensioner Do You Use For Your Tarp?

Yesterday, I changed my tarp guylines. Saw Jeff Myers of Myers Tech YouTube of a pull loop and prusik loop combined to add Ease of Use.
    The pull loop is a small continuous loop, just large enough to fit my hand.
    I made pull loop with a knot, used alpine butterfly loop, but could have used an overhand knot or double overhand knot. Easy enough!

Then I made a second continuous loop about same size as pull loop-maybe a bit smaller. This would be prusik loop.

Lay guyline in a straight line.
    Put pull loop on top of guyline, with only one side of pull loop touching guyline.

Tie prusik loop around both guyline and pull loop at same time. I used 6 wraps. Zingit 2.2 used for all parts.

Tighten and dress prusik loop. Tighten by bending guyline into a U shape or horseshoe shape. Then after prusik loop is tight. Straighten guy line back to a straight line.

Attached prusik loop to tarp loops with a larkshead, after above assembly, same way kids join rubber bands together!

Use pull loop to effortlessly slide prusik to any desired place on guyline. Tighten by horseshoeing guyline while tightening prusik loop.

Even with a tight prusik, the pull loop will easily pull prusik in either direction.

Also MrPickl has used this pull loop on his hammock straps to adjust his tarp ridgeline.

Long description, watch Jeff Myers YouTube to see this idea in short order.

NO KNOTS TIED IN PINEY Woods except a quick Siberian hitch attach to trees to replace stakes.

This will help me set up and take down faster!
    Also I’ve put on longer guylines, so I won’t have to tie on extensions when trees and bushes are too far away.

Both these changes will help old Phantom keep up with you guys!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 03-21-2021 at 14:11.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

What Knot System/Guyline Tensioner Do You Use For Your Tarp?

Early addition to my last post

I’m gonna replace tarp ridgeline and put prusik with pull loop for ease of use.

I will put pull loop touching tarp ridgeline.
    When I add prusik, it will not be a closed loop.

After I tie prusik around both pull loop and tarp ridgeline, then I will close prusik into a loop, AFTER one strand goes through tarp loop.
    Probably will close prusik loop with a double overhand knot.

Tarp set up good in woods. Worked great!
    Only after many uses, will I know if pull loop combined with prusik loop is right for me.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 03-21-2021 at 19:03.

It varies depending on what I've been reading is the latest and greatest method

Actually, I've modified what/how I tie things over the years but there are some constants. As per TUH, a knot should do three things: be easy to tie; do the job; be easy to untie.

Firstly any line that is permanent is attached using a Bowline. I used it to tie-in when rock climbing and in 30 years I never had a problem with it so if it's good enough for my life it's good enough to hold up a piece of nylon. Lines that might get moved are attached to the tarp using a Sheet Bend (I suppose technically it's a Becket Hitch since it's attaching to a loop), once set it holds well. At the other end things are a bit more varied and ultimately depend on what it's being attached to and ground conditions. In good firm soil where I can place a peg/stake wherever I want then I'll use a Marlinspike on the stake. If placement is compromised by rocks, roots, etc. then I'll pass a bight around the stake and if there's enough line use a McArthy Hitch back at the tarp or either a taut line or Farrimond Hitch if I can't get back to the tarp.

Ridge line is a CRL, Bowline, round the tree, through a carabiner, carabiner at the other end, round the second tree, back through the carabiner and lock off using a slippery hitch. I then centre the tarp, adjusting the slippery hitch as required. Then I tie a Farrimond Hitch close to the SH before releasing the SH and tightening up using the Farrimond. This method means I can get things reasonably taut without using up the slack to adjust the Farrimond. It also means the tarp is supported whilst I tie the Farrimond.

I've got the material to make a tarp, I'm just waiting for the sewing machine to be repaired, but I might add Linelocs to the tie-out points "just in case". Minimal extra weight for a bit of flexibility.

As ever practice - the only knot I've tied more than the Bowline is the one tying my shoelaces. I can tie the Bowline with my eyes shut wearing winter gloves, the muscle memory is strong with that one.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL UQ, WB Diamond
    Suspension
    Whoopie or BH
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    Then I tie a Farrimond Hitch close to the SH before releasing the SH and tightening up using the Farrimond. This method means I can get things reasonably taut without using up the slack to adjust the Farrimond. It also means the tarp is supported whilst I tie the Farrimond.
    Thank you for this tip on using the slippery hitch. I sometimes use a Farrimond for guy lines, but had issues using it with the tarp ridgeline, possibly due to the pull of the tarp.

For tarps, I like using a variety of knots & also throw in some bling. MSH, Farrimond, truckers hitch, & McCarthey are in my rotation. Each setup determines my knot of the day.

I have settled on the Beckett for my hammock suspension.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    As Phantom Grappler would say, just for the 'halibut' I recently re-rigged my hex tarp with Ironwire just to test it.

The quick report is that it holds knots well, seems to be slightly more supple than Glow/Guywire and I think it is a bit more dense... will weigh later to confirm this. It isn't reflective but the bright yellow color really stands out. Of course it's made in several different colors, although for some reason Lawson's stock is down to almost zero in everything. Hmm.

I've not used it on an actual overnighter yet but plan to do so this Fri-Sat, so I'll see if it maintains tension overnight. Weather is supposed to be very nice, so no wind and rain to put it thru the wringer.

Ironwire_guyline_01.jpg Ironwire_guyline_02_SMALL.jpg Ironwire_guyline_03_SMALL.jpg
    Ironwire_guyline_04_SMALL.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    As Phantom Grappler would say, just for the 'halibut' I recently re-rigged my hex tarp with Ironwire just to test it.

The quick report is that it holds knots well, seems to be slightly more supple than Glow/Guywire and I think it is a bit more dense... will weigh later to confirm this. It isn't reflective but the bright yellow color really stands out. Of course it's made in several different colors, although for some reason Lawson's stock is down to almost zero in everything. Hmm.

I've not used it on an actual overnighter yet but plan to do so this Fri-Sat, so I'll see if it maintains tension overnight. Weather is supposed to be very nice, so no wind and rain to put it thru the wringer.

Ironwire_guyline_01.jpg Ironwire_guyline_02_SMALL.jpg Ironwire_guyline_03_SMALL.jpg
    Ironwire_guyline_04_SMALL.jpg
    Excited to hear the report, keep us posted!

How are you suspending your bag from the tree? Is that just a spare piece of line tied to your bag or is it worked into your tarp suspension in some way?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grimm0614 View Post
    Excited to hear the report, keep us posted!

How are you suspending your bag from the tree? Is that just a spare piece of line tied to your bag or is it worked into your tarp suspension in some way?
    Lol that's about 6' of Zing-it, girth hitched to the pack and tied with a double-slipped reef knot... which is the knot you probably use for tying your shoes!

It's another one of those things where there's a piece of hardware for the job when a simple knot will do the trick!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345