Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    I just re-rigged my DCF tarp with Lineloc Vs and Zline. I thought for sure I would be Mr Knots & Lashings so I ordered the tarp with rings. Two trips out in the cold and wet and I realized that Linelocs are worth the tiny bit of extra weight so as to knot have to fiddle with knots. I also did the RL for the same reason, but have to work out a replacement for the two Dutch biners I'm currently using to connect to the tree.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I also did the RL for the same reason, but have to work out a replacement for the two Dutch biners I'm currently using to connect to the tree.
    As I'm sure you know, there's a million things you could try, but these might be worth a look.

https://hammockgear.com/titanium-clip/

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    As I'm sure you know, there's a million things you could try, but these might be worth a look.

https://hammockgear.com/titanium-clip/
    Yes, I have them on my HG Silpoly tarp. The Dutch biners are a shade lighter, I think. There's also a way to make the loop-around-the-tree connection with Evo loops.

Images
    Ok, I assumed you were talking about these...

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/dutch-biners/

... which are rated for hammock loads, and roughly 3x heavier than the little HG clips.

I use 7/64" Amsteel evo loops in my hammock strap to tree connection, so for sure the same concept could be used (and scaled down with Dynaglide, Zing-It, etc) for separate tarp ridge tie connections to the tree.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    I'm not a long distance hiker so I just put figure 9 line locks on each of my tent pegs and on my main tarp lines. I got a dozen of them for next to nothing on Alibaba. I have zing-it lines and they lock right in. Makes for thoughtless set up and easy re-adjustments. Keeping hardware off the lines themselves dramatically reduces tangles.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Ok, I assumed you were talking about these...

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/dutch-biners/

... which are rated for hammock loads, and roughly 3x heavier than the little HG clips.

I use 7/64" Amsteel evo loops in my hammock strap to tree connection, so for sure the same concept could be used (and scaled down with Dynaglide, Zing-It, etc) for separate tarp ridge tie connections to the tree.
    <<Embarassed Emoji>> Yes those are the biners I'm using, and I thought they were lighter! But then again, I never weighed the HG clips by themselves. Thanks

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I use simple knots and hitches rather than hardware.
    Knots that can be tied in middle of rope without having to fish the end of rope through for each step of knot (knots tied in the bight, is another name for what I’ve described), are my top choices.
    Another related quality of these knots, is they can be untied very easily, often by pulling the rip cord or “the working end”. Some of these quick release knots disappear completely when rip cord is yanked.
    Another bonus is my favorite knots are low risk for jamming. But they do their job without fail.

Alpine butterfly loop
    Siberian hitch backed up with monkey braid, that helps stabilize Siberian hitch. Some call it a chain stitch
    Farrimond friction hitch, only slip and grip hitch that can be tied without access to either end of rope. Makes it faster to tie, and a snap to untie.

Slipped Zeppelin bend, can support loaded hammock without slipping or jamming, in addition to being quick release. Can tie strap to amsteel.

Multiple pile hitch, good on round stakes, does not slip off the top, which often loses the stake.
    When breaking camp, it can be slipped off bottom of stake and leave no knot to untie.

YouTube
    David Hughes
    Phantom Grapplers Recommended Ties part 1 and part 2

And if you ain’t into knots, there’s some fantastic hardware available to make camping fun and easy!

You guys are awesome! I think I am gonna try to use a perfection loop or bowline knot to attach the guyline permanently to the tarp, and then use a taut line hitch to attach the guyline to the stake, although I am using zing-it, so I am slightly worried about knot retention. If that doesn't work for me, I think I will buy some line-locs!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use lawson glowire with a bowline larksheaded to my tarp corners. From there I either marlinspike to the stake or mccarthy/truckers hitch to the line.

Only time I end up using Dutchware hardware is on my winter tarp setup where I can use his Ringworms a bit easier with my gloves on.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    snel6424, I might have missed the description of your tarp ridge line (split or continuous) if you gave one. My current setup uses a continuous ridge line with tarp connected to it with Nama Claws. I used to have a continuous loop that would look like an oval going around the trees with the tarp making up one side of the oval. The line and tarp center line would be pulled together with the line clipped into a mini-biner at the tarp ends. So I guess it would look more like a dog bone from above. The problem with that was it was difficult to work with snake skins AND the tarp itself would have to absorb forces put on the ridge line. I’d put a split ring between the tarp end D-rings and the line. The spilt ring acted as a “fuse” - would bend/distort before the tarp would be damaged.

Now my line goes straight from tree to tree and the tarp hangs from it on Nama Claws. In that sense, it’s more like a hammock with a structural Ridge Line (SRL).

I’m still working out my guy lines. I made some that have shock cord stretch with the range limited by fixed line (Nite-ese reflective). My problem is, when I started out, I invested a lot in that Nite-ese line before I realized it was less than ideal. Problem is, the little reflector chips make it difficult to slide though hardware (for adjustments) or to work easily with sliding knots - like a taut hitch. I mean it works - just not as easy as it would if the line was smoother. But I can’t just throw them away

I’ll have to find some other use for them (tie the guy lines together to make ridge lines?) and replace them with easier to use reflective line.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast