Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Experience with integrated net hammock zipper failure

I had what I’d call a zipper failure. The zipper locked up - unable to zip or unzip. Happened to me at Hangcon one year and the mosquitos were stupid thick.

The hammock had just been released and later versions changed the zipper (to the next size up if I remember).

Vendor replaced my hammock with the newer one.

It has made me take a wait-and-see approach to newly released gear.

I did try hammocks with a separate bugnet as a way to shave weight but gave that up. I enjoy the convenience of an integrated bug net too much.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    My guess is: extremely rare. But, as SilvrSurfr's post confirms, it does happen. Now, consider that long back country trip( say deep into the Wind River Mountain wilderness areas of WY). Where not only am I risking a shortened trip, but I am several days hike from my car or even a bail out spot. So if the mosquitoes are raging, even if I bail out I am stuck with a couple of miserable nights before I can get to my car. That is the stated reason why old Ed Speer chose Velcro as the closure for his Pea Pod. He was of the opinion that- apparently based on his extensive experience with long trips far from quick bail outs- that sooner or later zippers fail. The same is the reason for the bottom entry style Hennessy hammocks.

Then again, how catastrophic does it really have to be if the zipper fails and can't be repaired? And how difficult are they to repair? Before the wonders of picaridin and permethrin, back in DEET only days, I spent 30 days straight in super bad mossy country with no net, other than a head net. No netted tent or hammock, just a tarp. Now I would count that as miserable, and was longing for a netted shelter, but I did not have to end the trip. Which would have been crazy to even consider because that was the normal way those trips were done. We all knew the mossies would be bad, but tarps, DEET and head nets it was. I would probably never choose to do a net free 30 day summer trip again, but the point is: if the zipper fails, do I really have to bail? Or can it be repaired?

And one of the main contributors to the misery was the nasty DEET itself. But, I have now done trips with no nets in bad mossy country with no real issues, and no bites, just using permethrin and picaridin. The main blessing of the picaridin is I find it so much more pleasant to use than DEET. I did one multi day trip to the Sawtooth mountains of ID first week of Sept. When I have done these trips this time of year in the nearby Winds of WY, I have never had Mossy trouble(but they will carry you off in June), so I was surprised to find them swarming in the Sawtooths. I had no net, just my Claytor No Net with a Speer Pea Pod, and it was not cold enough most nights to really close up the pod. I found myself being envious of my friend's college age son who had borrowed one of my HH Super Shelters for his bottom entry HH. I had net envy, because I was paranoid about bites every night. But between the permethrin and picaridin, I had no reason to worry: not a single bite.

So, I'm not sure if I need to be that much concerned with the zipper for a net malfunctioning? Then again, some non zip net system is available and easy enough to use, so why not?
    Yes, when it's buggy I'm using a net of some sort. Early season, not too hot and not too buggy, I've used the HUG net on the Half-Wit with no problems, and it is surprisingly effective. There's sometimes a bit of a gap on the bottom of the net but it seems the bugs can't find it. So far, anyway.

I have to use DEET... I've tried Picaridin (and some other stuff with essential oils and other chemicals) and it doesn't work for me. If all else fails I carry a head net with which I could (and sometimes do) combine with a wind jacket, or when sleeping keep a very light quilt pulled up as far as practicable.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I had what I’d call a zipper failure. The zipper locked up - unable to zip or unzip. Happened to me at Hangcon one year and the mosquitos were stupid thick.

The hammock had just been released and later versions changed the zipper (to the next size up if I remember).

Vendor replaced my hammock with the newer one.

It has made me take a wait-and-see approach to newly released gear.

I did try hammocks with a separate bugnet as a way to shave weight but gave that up. I enjoy the convenience of an integrated bug net too much.
    Yeah, I tried the separate net early on and just found the integrated SO much better.

But I appreciate that one night of misery can alter one's perception.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I had a Hennessy with zippers for a season in the beginning of my hammock days
    Spent many a night in that hammock and I am not a lightweight, nor did I know about any type of zipper placement or stresses placed upon them
    Never a problem, I guess ignorance is bliss
    Since then I have switched to a fronkey style beignet (dutchware) I think
    And could not be happier
    Literally 100's of night with it
    Easy peasy in and out
    Easy changing pants shirts bug free, just stand up in it
    No problem with quilt connection
    I just grab my quilt throw it in the hammock, stand up inside the net reach over clip one end to my cl on hammock
    And repeat on the other
    When I do motorcycle trips I use a lazy slugger tube and encase all my gear in one...
    To exit the fronkey I just slip my foot out of the hammock around the shock cord, then my second foot and just sit up
    I hated the zippers
    Unsure which weighs less zippers or fronkey style
    But I will not go back to zippers
    About half the year i leave the bugnet home

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    As for zipper failures- they do happen, but seem to be very rare. I know Frozen (Outdoor Adventures on YouTube) thru-hiked the AT with his Dream Hammock Darien, and had zero issues with the zipper. I've never experienced an issue with any of the zippers on my hammocks as well (knock on wood).

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Thanks, and I can see how one would have to re-think the process. And then if it's windy... hmmm.
    This version from SLD has one end that supposedly opens enough to slide over a hammock w/ quilts installed.
    I've been considering it as an upgrade to my fronkey mostly because I often want to slide it off to one end during daytime chilling and for the ease of installing the UQ.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...entry-sock-net

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    This version from SLD has one end that supposedly opens enough to slide over a hammock w/ quilts installed.
    I've been considering it as an upgrade to my fronkey mostly because I often want to slide it off to one end during daytime chilling and for the ease of installing the UQ.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...entry-sock-net
    Thanks, that does seem like a clever and simple innovation to the concept, for those who would want this feature.

Images
    LOL, what a coincidence. I just went to a FB hammock hanger page and first post I see is: "Needing the zipper fixed on my grand trunk skeeter beater pro...anyone in the group fix zippers??? Thanks..".

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    ...........................I have to use DEET... I've tried Picaridin (and some other stuff with essential oils and other chemicals) and it doesn't work for me. .............
    What a bummer! It is- for me- so much less unpleasant than DEET. And works for me, plus I don't mind spraying it on clothes sometimes. But, I most often use it along with permethrin treated clothing, so maybe without that aid it would not be as effective as DEET? But, in testing I have seen it worked just as well, but maybe not for everyone? Obviously, considering your results.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-16-2021 at 13:09.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    LOL, what a coincidence. I just went to a FB hammock hanger page and first post I see is: "Needing the zipper fixed on my grand trunk skeeter beater pro...anyone in the group fix zippers??? Thanks..".

What a bummer! It is- for me- so much less unpleasant than DEET. And works for me, plus I don't mind spraying it on clothes sometimes. But, I most often use it along with permethrin treated clothing, so maybe without that aid it would not be as effective as DEET? But, in testing I have seen it worked just as well, but maybe not for everyone? Obviously, considering your results.
    Coincidence

Just saw that post too20210316_141951.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

Yes, I really don't know why. But I had an interesting experience a few years back in the Pharaoh Wilderness in August. My good friends Jimmy and Lisa were using Picaridin and there was some variety of voracious, carnivorous flies that were taking chunks of meat out of us. Picaridin didn't faze them in the least. Fresh DEET would fend them off but as soon as it was diluted by perspiration they would wade right back in and start chomping on us again. Although the headnets worked great it was hot and humid so I was wearing shorts and t-shirt. At night, I got bit right through my Borah bug bivy (I was ground tarping then) and ended up with some huge welts on my neck that took weeks to go away.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast