Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Specific case for 11' length vs 12'+

I came upon this perfect spot a few days ago. I just barely squeezed my 11' tarp in but it worked great. Soft, thick, clean pine needles.

Then I went and tripped on a line and tore the tarp. Just glad I was leaving! It's good to know it already has a new home where I assume someone will repair it or get some kind of use out of it.

Images
    Sorry about your tarp, but also very interesting to note where and how it failed: right on the stitching.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    OneClick, I’m sorry for your loss. When you mentioned “...barely squeezed…”, it reminded me that there is no rule that says the tarp ridgeline has to be level. In fact, once I start, I can think of several scenarios were the tilted tarp ridgeline would be preferred. The tilt would allow the tarp to be set up between trees too close for a horizontal ridgeline.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Is that 20D material? Silpoly?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Is that 20D material? Silpoly?
    Yes and yes.

I may just repurchase the same thing, without the pullouts this time (never used them on such a narrow tarp).

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Yes and yes.

I may just repurchase the same thing, without the pullouts this time (never used them on such a narrow tarp).
    I'd probably do the same thing with a product I'm familiar with and whose features I like otherwise. Maybe get some dayglo yellow guy line.

I suppose you could repair that. Might be ugly but would probably still function fine.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'd probably do the same thing with a product I'm familiar with and whose features I like otherwise. Maybe get some dayglo yellow guy line.

I suppose you could repair that. Might be ugly but would probably still function fine.
    I never trip on them...or I should say I would regardless of the color.

In this situation I had all 4 corners undone and the tarp was just hanging there ready to put the snackskin on. One of the corners got caught on my shoe and when I walked to the other tree I heard the pop. So it wasn't even pulled at the usual angle as it would have been during a normal setup. So I'm confident in the material and workmanship. It was just a random accident.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Sorry for your loss OC.Although I prefer a 12 footer I almost always carry an 11 when I go because there have been too many times where the perfect trees just Barely accomodated my 11 footer.But if I know where I am going will handle my 12 I will likely take it.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I never trip on them...or I should say I would regardless of the color.

In this situation I had all 4 corners undone and the tarp was just hanging there ready to put the snackskin on. One of the corners got caught on my shoe and when I walked to the other tree I heard the pop. So it wasn't even pulled at the usual angle as it would have been during a normal setup. So I'm confident in the material and workmanship. It was just a random accident.
    That’s really sad. I have a thunderfly and a mountainfly and I can appreciate how upsetting losing one of them would be. You’ve got my condolences, for sure

I have to ask, did/do you use any sort of shock cord to connect your guy line to the tarp, to provide ‘give’ in that sort of situation? Either like the shock cord for a dutchware tarp fly connection, or a shock cord tensioning mod to your guy line?

If not, does this situation make you consider moving to that sort of adaption?

I’ve been pondering the idea of adding such a shock cord mod to my tarps, specifically for situations where my kid or I might catch a tie out with our shoe when maneuvering around the tarp... I’ve kicked them a few times when making my nocturnal bathroom breaks, and I’m worried about damaging a tarp in this way.

I’d love to hear what you are thinking now that you’ve had this experience.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I never used shock cord and think it's totally useless. If you get these tarps even moderately taut, there's no reason to re-tighten. Maybe way back when with old silnylon tent flys I remember giving them a quick tug in the rain, but never with my hammock tarps.

With shock cord, it's never really tight enough to begin with IMO. Then when/if it does sag, you just have more stretchy stuff giving in the wind and under its own weight.

In this case, I didn't even have the tarp deployed so I'm not sure what happened. I obviously tripped on the line, maybe both at the same time? It was just hanging loosely with both tarp sides touching, so maybe one corner caught the hardware of the other. I don't know, but it's probably as simple as me pulling it 180° in the wrong direction. I was walking toward the opposite tree so it was pulling against the usual angle in which I would guy it out.

Long story short, I have no hesitation in buying the exact same tarp with the same guyline setup. And after 9 years, this is the only major gear damage I recall so I don't feel too bad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast