Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    One of the main reasons I chose the 12' HG DCF tarp is so I can pitch it with a little more overhang on the head-end side, which is great for hanging my pack from the CL overnight. And because it's 12' long, there's still plenty of coverage on the foot-end side. However, my issue with the 12' length is that I can only pitch it so low. Since the DCF tarp is narrow, side coverage could possibly become an issue, though I haven't had an issue yet.

So now I'm considering possibly getting an 11' Thunderfly or Mountainfly, so I can pitch the tarp low, but still use the mini doors on the head-end side to give some extra overhang for my pack. But a part of me would also hate to get rid of my DCF tarp.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I never used shock cord and think it's totally useless. If you get these tarps even moderately taut, there's no reason to re-tighten. Maybe way back when with old silnylon tent flys I remember giving them a quick tug in the rain, but never with my hammock tarps.

With shock cord, it's never really tight enough to begin with IMO. Then when/if it does sag, you just have more stretchy stuff giving in the wind and under its own weight.

In this case, I didn't even have the tarp deployed so I'm not sure what happened. I obviously tripped on the line, maybe both at the same time? It was just hanging loosely with both tarp sides touching, so maybe one corner caught the hardware of the other. I don't know, but it's probably as simple as me pulling it 180° in the wrong direction. I was walking toward the opposite tree so it was pulling against the usual angle in which I would guy it out.

Long story short, I have no hesitation in buying the exact same tarp with the same guyline setup. And after 9 years, this is the only major gear damage I recall so I don't feel too bad.
    Thanks for this. I’m still playing with my exact set up, trying different guy line systems, tensioners and the like.

I love my thunderfly, and I agree, I would have no issue buying another if and when it wears out.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    One benefit from a little shock cord is it allows the tarp to move a bit and “spill” a wind load. But it is a little fussy - you either hold your breath and just have a shock cord link. Or you back the shock cord up with a slightly longer length of guyline to limit the stretch length of the shock cord. That’s lots of knots and loops. But it’s sort of a one time effort.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12