Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    I currently use the myers 1.4 gpf dyneema straps because they are so light weight but do have the issues with the rolling/roping common to the dyneema straps, I don't have any issues at all with marlin spikes though. I also have the blue poly straps which perform best and seem to keep their shape and handle most any knots but are twice as heavy. (Not that it's that much) The roping issue only bothers me around the tree portion and so I've been pondering sewing a short piece of the blue poly to the dyneema strap doubling the thickness and stability just at the tree end to create a kind of hybrid. Not sure if it's really worth the trouble but it would still save a couple of ounces over using just the blue poly. I know the poly has more stretch but the dyneema would still be taking the stress. By the way Jeff Myers gives a good tip on flattening out the dyneema straps using a coin or washer that works really well.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchm View Post
    I currently use the myers 1.4 gpf dyneema straps because they are so light weight but do have the issues with the rolling/roping common to the dyneema straps, I don't have any issues at all with marlin spikes though. I also have the blue poly straps which perform best and seem to keep their shape and handle most any knots but are twice as heavy. (Not that it's that much) The roping issue only bothers me around the tree portion and so I've been pondering sewing a short piece of the blue poly to the dyneema strap doubling the thickness and stability just at the tree end to create a kind of hybrid. Not sure if it's really worth the trouble but it would still save a couple of ounces over using just the blue poly. I know the poly has more stretch but the dyneema would still be taking the stress. By the way Jeff Myers gives a good tip on flattening out the dyneema straps using a coin or washer that works really well.
    I played with this concept a bit but in the end you have the issue of unpredictability of tree circumference and distances, so it is very hard to optimize the wider tree webbing portion and the lighter webbing segment.

Maybe better to just get some 1" wide Kevlar huggers, maybe one 3' and one 5' (or 4' and 6' etc) depending on the typical tree size where you backpack, and then maybe two 6' dyneema webbing sections.

However, I'm done with all that and now just use two 10ft Kevlar 3.3 straps and call it good. Add in a 3' dogbone for a little extra reach in case a really big tree is encountered.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    The kevlar 3.3 does look like a simple and solid option.

Hammock
    HG Zippered Bugnet
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweave+fish hks
    I’m thinking the same thing. Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Man View Post
    I’m thinking the same thing. Thanks everyone for the great feedback.
    Indeed, but it is still out of stock everywhere I have looked and it has been that way for a while. I don't know what the issue is but I've got an e-mail alert set for availability at Dutchware.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Indeed, but it is still out of stock everywhere I have looked and it has been that way for a while. I don't know what the issue is but I've got an e-mail alert set for availability at Dutchware.
    Hey, don't know if you already know but Dutchware have some straps and huggers available in 3.3 but only with sewn-on dutch clips. 8' and 12' straps, 4' and 7' huggers. Not many left though.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thanks for the heads-up! I did order a pair at $42 (!) but I can remove the Dutch clips and hopefully some DIY'er will buy them and offset the loss a bit.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    cmoulder, I want to also thank you for the idea that I don't need 15 feet of the blue poly! For some reason it just never occurred to me to cut them down to 10 feet. Now the blue poly are only 2.8 ounces for 10' length! I can live with that! I always carry a UCR for addtional length and fine adjustments anyway.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    cmoulder, I want to also thank you for the idea that I don't need 15 feet of the blue poly! For some reason it just never occurred to me to cut them down to 10 feet. Now the blue poly are only 2.8 ounces for 10' length! I can live with that! I always carry a UCR for addtional length and fine adjustments anyway.
    lol yeah I was kinda skeered of coming up short when I first got into this hanging thing in Nov '17 and started with 15' straps (well, whoopies first, then straps) but over time realized that I always had a whole bunch of extra strap dangling. Have never had an issue with 10' or even 8' straps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12