Raven
    Tarp
    HMG Journey
    Insulation
    HMG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling

HG incubator 30- temp and wind question

Long time lurker, first time poster. I’m taking my first trip with my hammock set up in mid May. Night time temps on average reach down to low 40’s that time of year. Outside of my backyard, I have not battle tested my UQ against that cold of temp or with significant wind. Curious if the collective out there has any thoughts: will my hammockgear Econ incubator 30 degree be okay in that temperature range? How is the wind resistance? If it helps to know my set up: dream raven, HG journey tarp (has doors), planning on bringing Enlightened Equip rev 30 for TQ. Thanks for any advice.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Elvis the king, Welcome to the forum.

Were it me, I’m more than pretty sure I’D be warm. I don’t have your gear, but my experience has been that I am fine with a 10 degree cushion - a 30° UQ on a 40° night. I mitigate the wind by using an UnderQuilt Protector (UQP) - like a second hammock (lighter material) that hangs under the main hammock and UQ to block convection heat loss. You can accomplish the same thing with your tarps doors and guying the tarp closer to the ground if you feel it’s going to storm.

I used to orient my tarp so it was broadside to the wind but now I try to rig it parallel to the wind. That way, there is less surface area (the doors) for the wind to blow against and the trees at each end help block the wind too.

If there is anyway you can try your setup out at home, first - even if the temps wlll be warmer - you’ll get an idea of how well it will work for you.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Raven
    Tarp
    HMG Journey
    Insulation
    HMG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Thanks cougarmeat, good stuff. I’ve backpacked with quilts that didn’t come close to their temp rating so was just curious if people had experience with the incubator to see the temp accuracy. From what I’ve read it’s pretty conservatively rated. If it gets cold enough here I plan to test it out myself.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I only have HG quilts, both 20*. I have slept below freezing (not sure how much lower than freezing as I didnt have a thermometer, but there was a good layer of ice in my water bottle so im guessing it was 25-28ish with minimal wind. I was quite comfortable.

I also had my 20 set out in 30* weather, but with a strong wind all night. I also had the help of a tarp with doors and a UQP to reduce drafts, but again was toasty warm.

As far as I can tell, HG temp ratings are "comfort" ratings (not "survival" ratings which are totally worthless. Who buys a bag or quilt to "survive" the night. I actually prefer sleep which requires 'comfort' )

With a 10* buffer, you'll be plenty warm, no problems.
    With no buffer you'll be warm if you have your setup dialed in (no drafts or gaps in the UQ fit, adequate wind protection, decent wool base layers, etc).
    If you know what you're doing you can push it below rating supplementing with another base layer as needed

• + New Posts