Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5

AT lightweight synthetic top quilt recommendations

I’m starting a NOBO AT flip flop hike from central virginia in a month. For the first part I’ll use 20 degree TQ and UQ due to anticipated low temps. I’d then like to switch to a 40 degree yeti UQ and a synthetic top quilt at about 40 degrees; I want it to unzip as it will get warm going south and I can use it draped like a blanket, before I switch back to 20 degrees for the Smokies in the fall. I like the specs on the MLD Spirit 48, but the anticipated turnaround time is now 14 weeks, too far out to be useful. A custom EE revelation 40 is a possibility at about 17 ounces total weight, with a wait time of about 8 weeks now. I’d like to go as light as possible to keep my base weight down. Does anyone know of any other possibilities? I looked at arrowhead, which has a solid reputation, but they use 30d nylon shells and don’t list total weights.

Senior Member Wilderness Seeker's Avatar
    Hammock
    SLD TL, AMOK
    Tarp
    SLD TH, WB SF
    Insulation
    JRB GL3,GL4,HSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Take a look at Cedar Ridge Outdoors, https://cedarridgegear.com/store/Topquilts-c72521357, I have their synergy synthetic top quilt and like it. of-course a bit heavier than down but packs almost as small.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Thank you, it’s a great looking quilt. At 32 oz it would be fine for shorter trips, but to keep my pack base weight down I need something under 20 oz, which is probably why I’m having trouble finding many choices.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For a light 40deg synthetic with the features you're interested in take a look at the Enlightened Equipment Revolution APEX (10D shell), which weighs 17.8oz.

Looks like the ready-to-ship is out of stock right now but it'd be worth contacting them about availability.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I think that’s the best option and they’re a big outfit so the wait times are reasonable. Do you think a down quilt at 40 is fine for late spring/summer hammocking? I may be overly concerned with moisture on my thru hike, and down is typically lighter. Thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I think that’s the best option and they’re a big outfit so the wait times are reasonable. Do you think a down quilt at 40 is fine for late spring/summer hammocking? I may be overly concerned with moisture on my thru hike, and down is typically lighter. Thanks.
    It really is a tough call because treated (DownTek) down quilts really do perform quite well in fairly wet conditions. I've never done a thru hike but I've done weeklong hikes during which there was a lot of rain and fairly high humidity and they fared *much* better than I thought they would, definitely better than non-DWR quilts and sleeping bags I've used in the past. However, it is possible that time of year to encounter a really crappy stretch of weather with cold rain, drizzle and fog for several days straight, in which case a synthetic would still be my choice. This actually happened to me some years back during a 3-night trip in October in the Seneca Creek/Spruce Knob (WV) area, and I was darn happy to have my EE Prodigy (precursor to the Revelation APEX, identical construction) because everything was just sopping wet almost all the time. I'm convinced that no down quilt, treated or not, would have performed optimally in those conditions. I've also done a 6-night trip to the Laurel Highlands trail in PA that featured a lot of rain and fairly high relative humidity — although not nearly as bad as WV — and treated down quilts were fine on that trip.

There are some regulars on HF who are thru hikers with TONS of experience with this subject, so hopefully they will chime in with their hard-earned advice.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    You’ve really nicely summarized my main concern. My son who completed a sobo 5 years ago tent camping used synthetic, borrowing a down bag from me for the smokies. He told me if you get your down wet on the AT you just bail out for a day and dry out. I think I’m going to look into the EE revelation apex, thanks again for your thoughts.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Jared / SLD is making an Apex top quilt, and he’s famous for turning around quality work very quickly. Depending on length and width, you can get a 40 degree quilt at under 20 oz for a better price than EE. I don’t have his top quilt, but do have his underquilt, and it is my new standard for comparison.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...ipse-top-quilt

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    [QUOTE=chef4;2047740]You’ve really nicely summarized m
    y main concern. My son who completed a sobo 5 years ago tent camping used synthetic, borrowing a down bag from me for the smokies. He told me if you get your down wet on the AT you just bail out for a day and dry out. I think I’m going to look into the EE revelation apex, thanks again for your thoughts.
    I can see it cutting both ways... carrying the down quilt and taking a zero when the quilt just doesn't work any more, or synthetic. But I'll bet your son will confirm that after multiple wet days you'll want to take a zero anyway, whether synthetic or down. And those periods where it's really socked in and drenched for multiple days will, on balance, comprise a fairly small percentage of your time on trail.

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWx View Post
    Jared / SLD is making an Apex top quilt, and he’s famous for turning around quality work very quickly. Depending on length and width, you can get a 40 degree quilt at under 20 oz for a better price than EE. I don’t have his top quilt, but do have his underquilt, and it is my new standard for comparison.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...ipse-top-quilt
    Good to know about that option! No zipper and not convertible to flat blanket mode, but nowadays that wouldn't be a show stopper for me... I actually prefer sewn foot boxes and sticking a leg out to vent.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    The sld looks great, synthetic quilts should be simple, and the pricing is reasonable. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast