Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Yes, although more last year (I planned and deferred 2020 due to COVID). This year I’ve been working on conditioning and mainly just setting up on my property, we live near Shenandoah and the winds come down from the mountains straight through our woods. I’ve got some nice exposed ridgeline that has given me the chance to set up in fairly high winds and rain, although I haven’t tried a really cold wet night. Skyline drive has been closed a lot due to ice and snow and I don’t like to overnight park at the base of the mountains, some of the parking spots are sketchy.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I looked into Simply Light Designs and got a 40 degree synthetic based on an earlier recommendation from this thread. Jared is great to work with, and the quilt was completed within a couple of days. It's about $100 less than a high quality lightweight down 40 quilt, it's really simple (basically no choices, there is some advantage in not having to make too many decisions), and it's reasonably light at about 17 ounces; the stitching and details are great. I'll stick with down for my under quilts since that is what I have, and send a trip report back at some point. Since I'm starting north from Virginia in April I'll have to figure out when to switch from down at 20 to the 40 degree stuff, and then back again in the fall, or possibly going into the Whites. I may just use the 20 degree stuff all the way to Maine and ditch any specialty sleepwear, saving weight that way, then start south from VA around august with the 40 degree kit.
    I switched back to my 20F top quilt when my teeth started to chatter at night under that 50 F Enjoy your trip the AT is an amazing trail.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Were the quilts on those trips made with treated down? If some were and some weren't, did you notice a difference?

Thanks for your insight!
    The hammock gear quilts are 950 and from my looking on their site it looks like the 950 they use is not treated but don't quote me. Not sure on the EE quilt. There were a few days were my quilts weren't exactly dry in the morning. If the spot where I took a lunch was nice and sunny I'd take my quilts and hammock out and let them dry if they were moist from dew in the morning. We called it a hiker yard sale.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Yes, although more last year (I planned and deferred 2020 due to COVID). This year I’ve been working on conditioning and mainly just setting up on my property, we live near Shenandoah and the winds come down from the mountains straight through our woods. I’ve got some nice exposed ridgeline that has given me the chance to set up in fairly high winds and rain, although I haven’t tried a really cold wet night. Skyline drive has been closed a lot due to ice and snow and I don’t like to overnight park at the base of the mountains, some of the parking spots are sketchy.
    I’m actually pretty close to you; I’m in nova in Woodbridge. I wouldn’t be averse to meeting up for a hike or beer or something if you wanted to discuss at length

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123