Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I used down the whole way and never really had a problem

If I did it again I’d use down again. Surprisingly my top quilt got more wet on the PCT.

I swapped out 20s and 40s too. I was a nobo and when I got to New Hampshire it started getting a bit chilly at night or in the rain and ended up trying the 20/40 UQ/tq combo and it was perfect

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I used down the whole way and never really had a problem

If I did it again I’d use down again. Surprisingly my top quilt got more wet on the PCT.

I swapped out 20s and 40s too. I was a nobo and when I got to New Hampshire it started getting a bit chilly at night or in the rain and ended up trying the 20/40 UQ/tq combo and it was perfect
    No better endorsement than that!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket
    Shrewd, could you be more specific on what you used? I'm curious for my own sake and for the thread if you used treated down or not, full or 3/4 UQ, weights. If you haven't posted about it already, be glad to hear about your journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Shrewd, could you be more specific on what you used? I'm curious for my own sake and for the thread if you used treated down or not, full or 3/4 UQ, weights. If you haven't posted about it already, be glad to hear about your journey!
    I have post at/pct hike threads on this sub forum which might be a fun read for ya (I think we even touched on treated vs not in one), but I’m always happy to go down the gear nerd tunnel!!

I believe the down in all of my quilts is treated. The debate on treated vs non is kinda splitting hairs, from my point of view. Even if one side is right we’re getting to the point of diminishing returns here. I’m not sure you’d really notice a difference in practical, real life use.

I used 3/4 length UQs. I’d probably do it again, too. I carried a butt pad (which was wonderfully useful, for numerous reasons) so I put that under my feet in the footbox of my top quilt. That kept my feet and calves warm - almost too warm some nights. I’ve never owned a full length so I can’t really say how much I appreciated the size/weight difference, but boy did both 20s take up a lot of space in my pack.

I’m lazy now and care a bit less about weight on shorter hikes, so I’m curious about full lengths. I did have to fiddle with the suspension on my UQs occasionally. Depending on conditions, I could be swayed to check out Warbonnet’s Wooki for the convenience. Especially in colder weather.

I don’t have a clue what mine weigh, but the TQs are from Jared at Mid Atlantic Mountain Works and the UQs from George at Loco Libre gear. Both make great stuff. I used both on both hikes. I actually slept under my 20 degree top quilt last night and am sad to say, after years of abuse and two thrus, it is no longer warm at 28 degrees

I’d buy from both again.

What else have ya got for me?

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I used down for my entire AT/PCT thru hikes as well and never had an issue. Used 20-EE/20-Hammock Gear until about Pearisburg, VA. Then swapped to 50-HG top 40-HG UQ until the Whites and got my 20 degree top quilt back. I used a 20 EE top quilt and enjoyed it I switched to a 3/4 UQ for the PCT from hammock gear and have been using it ever since. I recently switched over to a hammock gear 20F top quilt that I am getting ready to take on a fairly long hike but it has been pretty comfortable for weekend trips.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I looked into Simply Light Designs and got a 40 degree synthetic based on an earlier recommendation from this thread. Jared is great to work with, and the quilt was completed within a couple of days. It's about $100 less than a high quality lightweight down 40 quilt, it's really simple (basically no choices, there is some advantage in not having to make too many decisions), and it's reasonably light at about 17 ounces; the stitching and details are great. I'll stick with down for my under quilts since that is what I have, and send a trip report back at some point. Since I'm starting north from Virginia in April I'll have to figure out when to switch from down at 20 to the 40 degree stuff, and then back again in the fall, or possibly going into the Whites. I may just use the 20 degree stuff all the way to Maine and ditch any specialty sleepwear, saving weight that way, then start south from VA around august with the 40 degree kit.

You’re all squared away man.

Just start and have fun. By the time any such decisions need to be made you’ll be an old pro and this will all seem routine

Have fun

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    My son went sobo 2016, I joined him a couple of times, slowing him down. He told me not to bother planning much beyond the first 10 days, except for a few mail drops.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    I used down for my entire AT/PCT thru hikes as well and never had an issue. Used 20-EE/20-Hammock Gear until about Pearisburg, VA. Then swapped to 50-HG top 40-HG UQ until the Whites and got my 20 degree top quilt back. I used a 20 EE top quilt and enjoyed it I switched to a 3/4 UQ for the PCT from hammock gear and have been using it ever since. I recently switched over to a hammock gear 20F top quilt that I am getting ready to take on a fairly long hike but it has been pretty comfortable for weekend trips.
    Were the quilts on those trips made with treated down? If some were and some weren't, did you notice a difference?

Thanks for your insight!
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    My son went sobo 2016, I joined him a couple of times, slowing him down. He told me not to bother planning much beyond the first 10 days, except for a few mail drops.
    Have you been doing some local-ish tune-up hikes? You can learn and discover quite a bit with a couple of 2- or 3-night trips... especially if the weather is kinda crappy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast