DD superlight
    Tarp
    DD superlight, reg
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 5 M
    Suspension
    DD Superlight tree

Polycro hammock/tarp sleeve/snakeskins

Hello all! I've just found how to get my password reset, been meaning to do so for years

If I've done this right, I've found how to make a post and I'd like to say hello to the hammocking world!

So to the point, I've wondered why people haven't seemed to have tried using polycro as a hammock or tarp sleeve, I've not found anything on the internet nor this forum. If they have tried, I wonder why it hasn't been shared or the notion put forward.

What do people think, doable? Too flimsy? I'd love to hear from people and their opinions

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Yup doable - doubtful how durable it is.....

https://youtu.be/fXiDoZanYTU

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I’m having a hard time picturing polycro as a snakeskin / tarp sleeve. Seems like it might be ok the first time then continue to lose shape / get holes. That got me thinking you could get a loaf of bread and use the wrapper as a sleeve. If nothing else you can eat the bread.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Oh and welcome back

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rick View Post
    Hello all! I've just found how to get my password reset, been meaning to do so for years

If I've done this right, I've found how to make a post and I'd like to say hello to the hammocking world!

So to the point, I've wondered why people haven't seemed to have tried using polycro as a hammock or tarp sleeve, I've not found anything on the internet nor this forum. If they have tried, I wonder why it hasn't been shared or the notion put forward.

What do people think, doable? Too flimsy? I'd love to hear from people and their opinions
    Two issues: 1) how to fabricate, although I can see how it could be done with the tape that comes with the window covering kits, and 2) polycryo is indeed quite tough but once you get even a tiny rip in it, it's off to the races. I've fixed small holes with packing tape and it has worked well, but that is only for a ground sheet application.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DD superlight
    Tarp
    DD superlight, reg
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 5 M
    Suspension
    DD Superlight tree
    Thanks for replying, Gilligan's world, I watched your link but didn't notice anything which would explain why polycro wouldn't be suitable? I've noted what you think though, thanks

Hammock
    DD superlight
    Tarp
    DD superlight, reg
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 5 M
    Suspension
    DD Superlight tree
    Thanks Paul, it's good to be among like minded enthusiasts its just occured to me America can become quite hot - this seems to be an American based forum, anyway. I gather heat is why you think it might deform? I'm having a hard time believing polycro might be perforated easily, from all the use it gets as a tarp and groundsheet? YouTubers say they get about a years use from it before replacing them, mind for the sake of wasted plastic I wouldn't want any more landfill if I can help it. Maybe I've misunderstood the limitations of the material :/
    Also, genuine question-how are loafs of bread wrapped where you are? I appreciate this may seem or come across blunt, sorry, but I can't see a wrapper being that long?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rick View Post
    Thanks for replying, Gilligan's world, I watched your link but didn't notice anything which would explain why polycro wouldn't be suitable? I've noted what you think though, thanks
    That was just for purposes of showing you that PolyCro has been made into a tarp. Take the comments that you heard on here as proof that it's not durable. It takes a bit to puncture it but just like the other users have said if a tear develops it's catastrophic. I use these as a ground sheet it's the best $13 I've ever spent. 5 years running on I've only changed it once. But my ground sheet has a lot of duct tape on it now where I have developed rips and have stopped them with the tape.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    DD superlight
    Tarp
    DD superlight, reg
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 5 M
    Suspension
    DD Superlight tree
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Two issues: 1) how to fabricate, although I can see how it could be done with the tape that comes with the window covering kits, and 2) polycryo is indeed quite tough but once you get even a tiny rip in it, it's off to the races. I've fixed small holes with packing tape and it has worked well, but that is only for a ground sheet application.
    Hey bud, that makes loads of sense in one way, I guess as a sleeve would get lots of strain but what about their use as tarps, which seems regular? I hear you on rips, apparently it's not often but I can imagine as you say, any rip would keep going til there's no more material :/ I'm not a super light person where this is a concern mind, I'm just skimping because I have some, and am enjoying MYOG now I've started but with the three replies here it seems polycro isn't right very interesting though. I could just save up, too-i know a source for cheap imports from the likes of dutchwaregear: henge hammocks. I can't remember exactly but the price for materials is really awesome and he seems sound. I've bought from him before...I need to get my sewing machine working, bought from an antique store

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Go to Walmart and buy some mainstay window shears. Probably cost you like $5. Anyhow it's basically like no-see-um bug netting. Use that as your material for your snake skins.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here's a pattern you can use;

https://gear-report.com/how-to-make-...-or-tarp-myog/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast