Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

40 degree UQ - Full length - What temps can you get down to?

anyone using a 40 deg underquilt. I have a 10 and 20 already and I'm wondering what temps you've taken the 40 down to. I know everyone is different but just trying to get some input. I'm not a cold sleeper. This is for a full-length UQ I'm about to purchase for my upcoming (May 10th) BWCA trip.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I picked up a 40° Phoenix from the forums two years ago and I feel it’s very comfortable to its rating. On two occasions, I buffered it with a NeoAir x-lite (short) and was comfortable to the mid 20°. This works perfect for those shoulder season nights when I didn’t want to pull out my 0°, but wanted a lightweight buffer just in case. It worked beautifully.

But overall, in the 40° range for UQs,I feel most of the vendors are pretty conservative and “survival” rating, at least the one I have, is likely right around freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Mid thirties is were I switch out my 40 degree Wookie. That's about where i find the limit of my comfort rating with it. I feel the heavier underquilts seem to stretch further past their rating compared to the lighter, summer ones.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dantolz View Post
    anyone using a 40 deg underquilt. I have a 10 and 20 already and I'm wondering what temps you've taken the 40 down to. I know everyone is different but just trying to get some input. I'm not a cold sleeper. This is for a full-length UQ I'm about to purchase for my upcoming (May 10th) BWCA trip.
    I'd bring that 20º UQ for a May trip in BWCA~~!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    To me, there is nothing worse than being cold. I always go at least 10 degree higher than what I could possible need on the trip. If it’s tough to estimate and you want to push it then maybe plan on more TQ than you need.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use the 10* buffer rule - always take quilts that are rated at least 10* lower than the expected lows. So a 40* quilt will never see anything lower than 50* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dantolz View Post
    Yep, people are different and there's no substitute for experiencing things for yourself.

For me most temperature ratings work and I don't need the 10-degree buffer. A couple of times I've had my 3/4 40deg EE Revolt down to around 35 degrees (confirmed with digital thermometer) and was so warm I never even knew it.

However, if you don't know for sure what works for you, I'd go with the 10deg buffer and listen to the folks with lots of knowledge of BWCA. I've done trips to Algonquin Prov Park in Canada (similar latitude) in late April and May, and the weather can get downright nasty.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For me most temperature ratings work and I don't need the 10-degree buffer. A couple of times I've had my 3/4 40deg EE Revolt down to around 35 degrees (confirmed with digital thermometer) and was so warm I never even knew it.
    Similar here. I've taken my 20° down to single digits plenty of times. I'll also look at the forecast for all the nights. If it's something like 19°, 28°, 33° for lows, I would never take the 0° just for that one borderline night. And how long will it be at that low? Possibly not even an hour, and maybe even after/while I wake up. Then consider the TQ, tarp, hiking distance, space in pack, etc. since they all play into my decision.

I have used my 40 deg wookie down to 23degrees, felt like the limit, its perfectly fine at 30 deg (I am a warm sleeper). I do agree with Shug I would take a 20 deg UQ for a May trip to be guaranteed comfortable.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    I've done May BWCA trips for the past 5 years, and never take less than a 20*. Based on the forecast, I even took a 0* one year. Only one year of the five did we not have at least one night below freezing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast