Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Polyester tablecloth fabrics will not stretch.

These are available in 156"x90" and all you have to do is to get a seamstress to sew a channel (I use four stitch lines to ensure integrity).

That is a 13-foot long hammock (minus the two channels), so make it 12-foot 8-inch in length.

https://tableclothsfactory.com/produ...12639782699093

I can add a link to some images in another thread on this site if you have an interest.
    IMG_1415.JPG

I use two of these so that I do not need underquilts, those sleeping bags are synthetic 0-deg F and quite heavy. Very warm though.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Polyester tablecloth fabrics will not stretch.

These are available in 156"x90" and all you have to do is to get a seamstress to sew a channel (I use four stitch lines to ensure integrity).

That is a 13-foot long hammock (minus the two channels), so make it 12-foot 8-inch in length.

https://tableclothsfactory.com/produ...12639782699093

I can add a link to some images in another thread on this site if you have an interest.
    IMG_1415.JPG

I use two of these so that I do not need underquilts, those sleeping bags are synthetic 0-deg F and quite heavy. Very warm though.
    Hi Joe ..that looks a fantastic setup and very comfortable no doubt. Also love the use of 2 together with the sleeping bags. If you do have the time the offer of a thread with more info/photos would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance ..Bill in UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortalviking View Post
    I did this quick clip awhile ago to try and show people the leg room and lay between the different hammocks.
    Without an underquilt the 12' is the most comfortable. I can move my right leg over as much as i want without it falling back into the center. But once you put that underquilt on, it directs and restricts how your legs and feet lay. Once you do that, the Wide Chameleon is the winner because the comfort of the 12' is negated by the underguilt.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/7DVnrvRACdY?feature=share
    Thank you for the quick comparison. I'm 6'3" and wondering if there's more comfort out there somewhere than my WB Eldorado is providing. I have an 11ft Superfly, so I'm mostly considering a 11ft Wide Chameleon. If under quilts limit the lay of a 12ft Chameleon then that's two strikes when a new tarp is also factored in. One thing I noticed in your video, is you were able to lay off center more with the Chameleon than the XLC. I watched where your left foot was aimed at a light hanging from a beam, and you had to sacrifice several degrees of off-line rotation to keep your feet the same distance from the edge of the hammocks. I'm now VERY seriously considering a 11ft Wide Chameleon, unless the comfort is a dead even draw. Do those extra degrees of rotation make for a larger sweet spot? Is there any less calf ridge? I'm sleeping well in my double layer Eldorado, but I'm being greedy and wanting more if it's available. I'd also try a single layer next time. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Remember, your tarp doesn't have to be the same length as the hammock. Usually, the hung hammock is about 83% of its physical length. for 12 ft, that means just under 10 ft. Of course a larger tarp will give you a larger dry coverage area - which I like. But you can get by with less - saving money, weight, bulk.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Remember, your tarp doesn't have to be the same length as the hammock. Usually, the hung hammock is about 83% of its physical length. for 12 ft, that means just under 10 ft. Of course a larger tarp will give you a larger dry coverage area - which I like. But you can get by with less - saving money, weight, bulk.
    Thank you. I'm aware that the math works out, but I'd prefer to maintain around a foot of extra space at each end if possible. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the under quilt issue though. The 11ft Wide and 12ft Chameleons are both 68 inches wide. How would the under quilt limit space the useable comfort zone in the 12 ft enough to make it no better than the 11 ft? Is this possibly a specific UQ problem that is fixed with another brand?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My 12' Tarp BARELY covers my 12' Chameleon and would need to be very confident in my drip line. In regards to the UQ fitting the 12' Chameleon, it is a non-issue, contrary to what i was anticipating. I just loosen all the lines on the UQ and everything has been tickity boo. At 6'3", i think you'll LOVE the 12' Chameleon !

Ya gotta love "tickity boo" !

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Ya gotta love "tickity boo" !
    Sorry. Old Army slang ��

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsteele View Post
    Tremendously helpful and to the point �� — thanks for sharing!

I've got an 11x65 SLD that I really like but have wondered about going 12' or even ~70"... videos like this really helps get a truer sense of the interior space
    Thank You so much.

Well as a quick update, I JUST ordered an 11ft Wide from Dutch (in Dark Olive) with the Beetle Buckle suspension. I went Netless rather than Chameleon however. I liked the entry price to test the size before maybe going to a 12ft, the lack of zippers for more stretchiness, and the overall simplicity. I plan to order a bottom entry bug net later which I think might prove best for my needs and personality. I'm generally an over-packer/preparer, but as of right now, my hammock happiness involves comfort rather than playing with lots of bells and whistles. I also enjoy looking out and around, and unless directly under attack, don't want a bug net in the way................or a top cover. I'll test drive this hammock for the rest of the summer in my back yard. I've got a tiny creek six feet from my hang, and a bug zapper plugged in about 20ft the other direction. Airflow and an unencumbered ride is my goal for now, and under quilt will be my next purchase.

I'm 6'03", 200lbs and middle-aged busted up enough to appreciate comfort. I'll report how she rides after logging a some nights.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast