Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    My tentative opinion after some experimentation is that 60" wide is plenty IF AND ONLY IF the hammock is long enough, where twice your body length is the gold standard. If the hammock is a little short (like 11' for a 6'er) then extra width and a more generous sag can help (Amok Draumr being an extreme example: so wide you lay sideways!), but the simpler remedy is more length. Note that UQs are not generally available in extra wide, so if you exploit extra width in your lay, something's going to be hanging off the insulated edge...

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    very interesting thread. My second hammock was a trail lair from SLD. I really like it though now I don't remember the width, it is very wide and 11 feet long. I was surprised how differently it felt to sleep in the Warbonnet Eldorado or the traveler. I think it is the width, but the Trail lair has much too much of a wall on my right side for my liking but on the other hand the Trail Lair is much nicer to sit in as the suspension is up over my head in a nice way, while I have to duck when sitting in or getting in on my Eldorado. I have also had an easier time fitting my under-quilt ( an UG 40 degree economy quit) and having it stay in place on my Eldorado, but that could be down to more experience over time. I really should get the trail lair up and do a side by side hang after I measure the Trail Lair.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I’d call Dutchware and see what they say. I’ve messagyback and forth with them in the past and found them very helpful with their recommendations for my set up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Does anyone know the width of the Warbonnet Eldorado?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    Does anyone know the width of the Warbonnet Eldorado?
    It's 11' by 62" according to Warbonnet website.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    It's 11' by 62" according to Warbonnet website.
    Thanks. I measured a Traveler that I have, which I thought to possibly be a non-standard (it was a special 12 off make for a festival) size and it was 62". I find it remarkably comfortable and thought it to be wider than my Warbonnet Eldorado, because I find the lay distinctly different, and more comfy in the Traveler. It's interesting that it's the same length and size - and so it must be the material that gives the different feel. My Traveler is made of some crazy thick material, rated for elephants I think. Much to ponder on that score.

I also did a side by side yesterday between the Traveler and my SLD Trail lair double layer. The Trail lair, yet again, feels completely different from the others, and it appears to be 65 inches wide. Much too much for my six feet height. There is a saggy wall of fabric that reaches up to almost the ridge-line near my shoulders on the right hand side. It is the one also that causes me to have a ridge at my calves most often, and I have to twiddle the most to make it comfy. Now I really like SLD but the warbonnet suits me better, and it's interesting how small changes can lead to large changes in impressions of comfort.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    All of my main hammocks are DIY made to 11.5". I notice a definite difference in comfort with added width but less so with lengths much longer than 11'. That said, 11.5 does give me a bit more head room but I would be almost as comfortable in 11' but really appreciate the added width. I'm about 5'll".

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I did this quick clip awhile ago to try and show people the leg room and lay between the different hammocks.
    Without an underquilt the 12' is the most comfortable. I can move my right leg over as much as i want without it falling back into the center. But once you put that underquilt on, it directs and restricts how your legs and feet lay. Once you do that, the Wide Chameleon is the winner because the comfort of the 12' is negated by the underguilt.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/7DVnrvRACdY?feature=share

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortalviking View Post
    I did this quick clip awhile ago to try and show people the leg room and lay between the different hammocks.
    Tremendously helpful and to the point �� — thanks for sharing!

I've got an 11x65 SLD that I really like but have wondered about going 12' or even ~70"... videos like this really helps get a truer sense of the interior space

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post

For a cheap comparison, order 4-5 yards of fabric to try. No sewing/hemming needed. Just larkshead some loops to the end and go hang.
    I did that but i used meters-the civilized measuring system.

I basically figured out that twice your own height gives the best comfort level without adding extra fabric/weight.

At 1.67 m(5'6") my ideal hammock length is 3.354 m or 11'(11' is 3.355 m).

This still allows me to use an 11'tarp with room to spare.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast