Dutchware chameleon (wide)
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hangtight and diy
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle

Wide Underquilt Needed?

Hey all! I just got a wide dutchware chameleon. Are there benefits to also having a wide UQ? I’m thinking it will be that much warmer and more comfortable but would love to hear from anyone with a wide hammock what they prefer. Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    I like my 20° Cedar Ridge Wide underquilt and I have a wide Chameleon. Took me a bit to get it dialed in but I'm just learning and I've had the setup down in to the teens and my low was 8° with the help of a Costco down quilt.

Wide UQ definitely reduces the fiddle factor, which is a huge plus when you’re trying to eliminate a pesky draft in the middle of the night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    I took advice from HG and went for one of their UQ’s and they don’t offer any width other than 44”....at 6’5” and 240lbs I’m not getting any issues yet on my wide hammock.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I also have a Wide chameleon and use a regular HG Incubator. I have no problems with it sleeping diagonal and im 6'1".

If the UQ slips off your head or feet (slips under the hammock that is), it helps to tuck the shock cord into the 2nd hook from the end on the chameleon which forces the quilt to stay attached where you need it. Also I believe dutch or someone sells plastic clips that can be used to hold the quilt to the hammock near your head and feet if slipping is an issue.

But overall, no special width is needed IMO.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    I'm 6'4"-- I haven't been able to keep a standard width quilt from sliding off under my feet in general (all my hammocks are wide), even with the pack hooks that I think mcimes is describing on the Chameleon that are there to help lock the quilt in place. I think part of my problem is that I'm a more *active* sleeper-- it's the moving around that creates the problem. My younger brother, who is even taller than I am at 6'7", sleeps just fine with a standard width quilt, once he gets it in place, the hammock is so comfortable that he does not budge during the night. (He's only slept in 12' long, wide hammocks, since I'm the one providing him with hammocks and gear.)

I do have some wide HG incubators from back in the day when they still did custom requests, and I do have better luck with those.

I am still experimenting, I have a wide UQ on order from UGQ currently. They put shoulder locks on their Zeppelin under quilts; I asked them to put some on the foot end of the quilt as well just to see how that might help with my foot-end quilt creep issue. We'll see in a couple months.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    @sloanie, I just remembered this - to help get the best UQ seal on my last trip, i tightened the off-side secondary suspension and loosened the Head/Foot side suspension. This caused the quilt to naturally gather in a slightly diagonal lay. Also the secondary suspension was not pulling against my head/feet as much, so it lessened the force trying to pull the quilt off them. This seemed to help the quilt find its happy place and is worth trying out, maybe with someone else laying in the hammock and with you adjusting while they flop around simulating your sleep. Probably wont solve your problem, but it might help

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I had a custom incubator made for me a few years ago
    I had an extra baffle added
    It works very well for me
    I think it helped me due to my broad shoulders
    I do use a shock cord up and over ridgeline on the foot end on all my under quilts wide or regular as it helps seal the leg gap area for me
    I am a huge individual

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    @sloanie, I just remembered this - to help get the best UQ seal on my last trip, i tightened the off-side secondary suspension and loosened the Head/Foot side suspension. This caused the quilt to naturally gather in a slightly diagonal lay. Also the secondary suspension was not pulling against my head/feet as much, so it lessened the force trying to pull the quilt off them. This seemed to help the quilt find its happy place and is worth trying out, maybe with someone else laying in the hammock and with you adjusting while they flop around simulating your sleep. Probably wont solve your problem, but it might help
    Thanks for the tip! Makes sense, I will definitely give it a shot.

Interestingly, I've never had to fiddle to avoid cold pockets underneath me-- seems I might have been lucky that way. It's just been the head/foot end where it would slide off at some point and I'd end up with a cold arm or feet. (usually have a pillow of sorts under my head such that it's not quite as critical on the head end.)

• + New Posts