Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    In your info box it shows you have a Dream Hammock Darien...that's fairly lightweight, but doesn't have a removable net. Did you recently pick it up (after you started this thread)?

I think I would stick with it and build the other gear around it. If you get to the point you want to go netless, then look for those netless hammocks (which are significantly cheaper and lighter). I can remove the net from my Chameleon, however I still have 20+ feet of half a zipper that I have to lug around.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    In your info box it shows you have a Dream Hammock Darien...that's fairly lightweight, but doesn't have a removable net. Did you recently pick it up (after you started this thread)?

I think I would stick with it and build the other gear around it. If you get to the point you want to go netless, then look for those netless hammocks (which are significantly cheaper and lighter). I can remove the net from my Chameleon, however I still have 20+ feet of half a zipper that I have to lug around.
    I agree completely. Unless the hammock is a double-layer of 2.4 something-or-other, it isn't the hammock that's gonna bust the weight budget.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post

Yes, after getting feedback here and discussing directly with Randy at DH I decided to go with the Darien. I started out thinking modular was the way to go, but given the majority of my camping is during bug season in the Carolinas the Darien seemed to be a good balance of weight to utility. I also picked up a second-hand Thunderfly from another forum member so I’m focused on finding a UQ next. I’ll keep using my 3 season down bag as a TQ until I find a lighter UQ/TQ combo, plus I can continue to use it with my tent when I have my dogs along.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Nice. My first 'real' setup was the Dutchware Half-Zipped (similar to the Darien) and a WB Thunderfly. Still use the Thunderfly.

Ok, so for the UQ maybe look at a 30F or 40F 3/4 length, like the HG Phoenix or similar. My first UQ was a 40F Phoenix. Works pretty much year round here in Florida. I used it up in NC, at South Mountains SP in October. My legs got a little chilly one night...I didn't bring my sit pad, so I put my hiking socks back on and gutted it out. Ordered a 20F Incubator when the Black Friday sales went up.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Thanks for the recommendation. I posted a WTB for Phoenix or similar yesterday. While I see that many here recommend a 20 degree as a first quilt, we’re heading into warm weather season and I sleep warm to begin with. I may do similar to you and go with a 40 degree first. I’m also somewhat interested in the SLD trailwinder given the combo insulation/UQ cover and the humid conditions in NC. Although it looks a bit bulkier to pack.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I posted a WTB for Phoenix or similar yesterday. While I see that many here recommend a 20 degree as a first quilt, we’re heading into warm weather season and I sleep warm to begin with. I may do similar to you and go with a 40 degree first. I’m also somewhat interested in the SLD trailwinder given the combo insulation/UQ cover and the humid conditions in NC. Although it looks a bit bulkier to pack.
    For something more compact, also specify 10D (Argon 67) shell. Big difference with Econ version and also more $$, but well spent IMHO. In the long run you won't regret it!
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    +1. Fabric is so important there’s a big difference between the economy 20d packability and something made from 7 or even 10d.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For something more compact, also specify 10D (Argon 67) shell. Big difference with Econ version and also more $$, but well spent IMHO. In the long run you won't regret it!
    You know, with the HG Econ 40F Burrow/Phoenix my pack isn't too bad. But, I when I did a cold weather camp with my Econ 20F Burrow/Incubator along with proper clothing...I noticed that the Blast was looking kinda tight. I'm rethinking that Econ 20F set...maybe selling/gifting and going with the HG Premium (or similar). That cost though...I thought I was done buying stuff.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Isn’t the 10D a bit delicate for an underquilt? I can see the attraction for a top quilt, but I think it would be less splash resistance and higher probability of tearing hanging off the hammock? Although something as small as the Loco Libre Habenero would be awesome from a UL pack perspective.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Isn’t the 10D a bit delicate for an underquilt? I can see the attraction for a top quilt, but I think it would be less splash resistance and higher probability of tearing hanging off the hammock? Although something as small as the Loco Libre Habenero would be awesome from a UL pack perspective.
    I have a few 10D UQs and even a 7D UQ with no issues. Of course I'm always careful to clear any snags, thorns or brambles where I hang, but other than that there's nothing that's going to damage them.

I'd make the argument that Argon 67 might be the best material overall for an underquilt because it's 10D and also fairly wind and splash resistant.

Also, the TQ I've owned the longest is an EE 50deg quilt with 10D shell that I used to have my dog snuggle with when I was tent/tarp camping and it has never sustained any damage — I still use it regularly!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast