SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps

Overwhelmed - starting from scratch and seeking light weight + comfort

Hi all - just joined the forum and brand new to hammocks. I’m the process of trying to rethink my backpacking kit and get down to a reasonable base weight for longer trails. My gear is decent but heavy (e.g. I still carry a 6 lbs 4 season Sierra Designs tent from early 90s). I am not looking to go ultralight and at my age I need to balance comfort with weight. But halving the weight of my sleeping system would be a good start.

I have been reading a lot of reviews here and elsewhere and it is a bit overwhelming. I want to build a modular 3 season hammock system and I am leaning towards a gathered end set-up. I am 5’10” and about 185 lbs so it sounds like a 10-11 foot hammock with 11 foot tarp would fit the bill. I am a back sleeper which seems like a positive based on reviews I have read, but not sure what material, width, suspension, will bring me the best balance of weight to comfort / ease of set-up that I am looking for. Most of my trips are in the humid spring/summer months in NC so air circulation, bug control and rain coverage is important. Hoping to use my down bag, pad, etc. in the beginning until I can budget to add a top quilt/under quilt combo. So starting out with the hammock, suspension and tarp are my current goals.

Based on reading countless reviews I am thinking something like the DH Sparrow, Warbonnet Eldorado or SLD Trail Lair could fit the bill. I kind of like the idea of removable net for weight savings in shoulder seasons. Would love something even lighter for summer but I am not ready to commit to multiple hammocks so looking for a flexible kit. Would be great to get some feedback on options from those that have gone through a similar weight savings process.

TIA - Twistytee

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yessir...you are facing the Hammock Learning Curve. I suggest taking a breath and remembering that you are learning a whole new way to sleep in the woods so enjoy the journey.
    Be patient.
    Enjoy being new at something at your age.
    Here are videos on using pads and sleeping bags in hammocks.....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...PBkH55Ns90zkAu
    Suspension Series.....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm
    And some tarp info.....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL851BCD042A98F269

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Thanks For the links Shug. Important to keep things in perspective. BTW- I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your Hickery Brothers videos in the Linville Gorge. I’m heading up to do the loop next month with my brother. Raising kids and life got in the way so we haven’t done it together in 25 years. Really looking forward to it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Thanks For the links Shug. Important to keep things in perspective. BTW- I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your Hickery Brothers videos in the Linville Gorge. I’m heading up to do the loop next month with my brother. Raising kids and life got in the way so we haven’t done it together in 25 years. Really looking forward to it.
    What loop ya' doing? Keep in mind that Gorge is rough~~!
    Factor that in. Not about miles there.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    twistytee, Welcome to the forum.

Taking out that 6 lb tent AND focusing on 3 seasons will clearly save you some weight. I can’t address the bug issue as I live in an entirely different environment. But I do know that only one mosquito can ruin a night's sleep. As a minimum, I carry a HUG net. It covers my head down to my chest - with the idea that the rest of my body is inside a UQ. But you may need two net solutions. One would be the off (bug) season HUG for “just in case”. The other could be a fully independent net - like the WarBonnet Traveler net. The reason is, it might allow you to sit in your hammock (like a chair) and still be inside a protective net.

Be sure to read the posts about Permethrin treatment for your gear and Picaridin treatment for you. You might also look at the new thermacell devices (USB style so you don’t need to use extra stove fuel) for protection out of your hammock if you use a built-in net (like the Trail Lair).

I have a few hammocks but it’s not that one was better than the other. Part of the acquisition was just learning that. I could be comfortable in all of them. But it’s fun to play, to try different fabrics, and styles.

In kayaking we talk about TIB - Time In Boat. There is no substitution for it - nothing a person can read in a book or watch on YouTube. They just have to sit/paddle in the boat, on the water. Almost any (sea) kayak will do. Then, after a year/season, then they will have a better idea of what THEIR next step is. Same with hammocks. The mistake is not in choosing the wrong one, the mistake is waiting and waiting, thinking the next post will provide the deciding information. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the hammocks you listed. Does it mean you’ll want to stick with your choice after a year; maybe, maybe not. But take care of your gear and if you want a change and don’t want to keep your first choice for a friend/demos, you can sell it in the For Sale forum to help pay for version 2.0.

With both tents and hammocks, a person can chase the UltraLight Rabbit. But I’ve found that generally, my pack weighs about the same (except I never carried a 6 lb tent - unless I shared half of it with an adventure partner) but I’m so much more comfortable, get a far better night’s sleep, in a hammock. I hope you will too.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Overwhelmed - starting from scratch and seeking light weight + comfort

Get 11x5 minimum
    You can get an 11 footer in wide fabric
    Roughly 11x5&half or 11 by 6

Some hammock campers are comfortable in a ten footer—not me

Lots of choices, maybe go to a local hang and ask to try out their hammocks for size.
    Yates Hang is calling you

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    What loop ya' doing? Keep in mind that Gorge is rough~~!
    Factor that in. Not about miles there.
    yep, well aware of the distance vs. effort in the gorge. I spent a month up on the trails in the Pisgah and Smokies and know what the gorge can do to you. We would love to do the grand loop but work schedules may may dictate cutting it short and doing east rim to Spence Ridge from Wolf Pit and back down the west LGT. Checked the water levels today and it was 153 CFS and sub 2 feet so crossing should be doable. Last time we did it together the bridge was still intact.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Length - I'd highly recommend a 11' hammock, as a longer one is typically more comfortable. 11' seems to be a sweet spot for most people.

Width - at 5'10 I think you'd be happy with a Wide version, typically in the 62"ish range. Wide just allows a more diagonal lay which means you lay flatter, which is typically more comfortable. A lot more comfortable.

Material - I find 1.6 thickness a good blend of light weight and comfortable. It feels nice against your skin. Dutch and SLD offer Hexon 1.6 and others probably do too. I have a 1.6 HyperD from Dream hammock and its nice as well, but I prefer the chameleon over the sparrow. I think the sparrow is regular width while the chameleon is Wide, and the wide is significantly more comfortable to me. I just noticved a note on SLD site that they have 1/6 ripstop nylon thats only rated to 200lbs but 1.6 Hexon is rated to 350, so I'd look for a hammock-specific fabric like Hexon, HyperD, or MTN.

Tarp - look on the classifieds here. A 12' tarp just sold for $75! I like at least partial doors like the Warbonnett Minifly, or full doors like a HG Journey. Many are just fine with a hex tarp, but I like doors for wind blocking if you'll ever be in cool/windy conditions. Same for wind+rain. Doors will significantly increase the dry area under your tarp and protect from sideways rain.

Bugs - I like the integrated / zip on bug nets. Mosquitoes will bite through a single layer of fabric (on the bottom). You will need to permithrin treat the bottom, use a UQ 100% of the time, or get a double layer hammock.

For suspension like Whoopie slings with Dutch Hooks because they're UL. Straps work fine too. They are heavier and take up more volume but also require a couple feet less span between trees so provide more flexible hanging options when trees are not plentiful

I'm partial to Dutch and Hammock Gear stuff, but am now branching out and trying some Warbonnett stuff and selling my Sparrow. You'll more than likely be happy with gear from almost any cottage mfg. They're all high quality and know what they're doing.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I have Warbonnet and HammockGear stuff and love it and it's very well made, both vendors are very good quality and good service.

You will pay more for lighter stuff. Comfort can be hit or miss no matter how much you pay or how much it weighs, you'll just have to go on a YouTube review bender and find out from others who may have similar sleeping or hiking habits to your own.

My suggestion is to be willing to spend a bit more out of the gate. Don't cheap out with a $50 hammock off Amazon; if you hate it, you'll never know if it's a hammock itself or a low quality hammock...true, not everyone can tell the difference in sleep quality but many, many can. It's funny that many people will shop for mid-to-higher end tents but then only look at the cheap hammocks �� (not pointing fingers just an observation).

Generally, it goes like this: Pick any two: (1) Cheap, (2) Lightweight, or (3) Good quality. Cottage vendors like Warbonnet won't be the cheapest option but it will be light and it will be good quality.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Thanks again all. I’m willing to spend a little more to get the weight down and build a quality kit. Just have to do so incrementally. Will plan on starting with the hammock that works for 80% of my needs: comfort, bug protection, light weight, 3 season - probably in that order. Everyone has given me solid feedback so I’ll take the plunge shortly and try one out that seems to best fit these criteria.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast