Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    One thing to note about ordering a wide hammock, if you decide that's for you -- getting a wide hammock means the vendor will use a wide version of the material, like Hexon 1.6 wide or HyperD 1.6 wide etc. Those can be very wide, like 72-74" or so. You don't need to get the 'wide' hammock made as wide as possible though. Most if not all of the vendors will cut the wide fabric to the finished width of your choice.

For example, I got a Dutchware Chameleon hammock in the Hexon 1.6 wide but paid an extra $5 to have them customize it to 60" width. In other words, even though you specify a wide fabric, you can get the hammock made to just a touch wider than the regular version. At your height, that might be enough extra width to ensure your comfort.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, Twistytee!

I'd like to offer one alternative approach to your thinking. Forget the hammock!

(I can almost hear the audible gasp from across the forum. Blasphemy! Naysayer! Kick him out!)

What I mean to say is that given that you're a backpacker, and given that you're planning to build from scratch, and given that you're going to piecemeal your purchases, your first priority pricey purchase consideration should not be your hammock. For most hammock backpackers, their most expensive from-scratch purchases (in cost order, more or less) will be Underquilt, Topquilt, Pack, Footwear, and Tarp. The hammock doesn't make the top five for a lot of folks. There are exceptions, of course, but the fact of the matter is that you can get a decent (not great, but decent) hammock from Amazon for next to nothing. Even Dutch sells a hammock/bug net combo for fifty bucks. And the only significant distinctions between most GE hammocks are material and features. (I can't wait to read the backlash on THAT comment!)

My point is that it can be a lot less expensive to buy-and-try hammocks than the other items. I've tried at least a half dozen different hammocks, and though there are definitely differences between them, my comfort level didn't improve nearly as dramatically as it did when I switched from a pad to an underquilt. Here's another way of looking at it: I had trouble really getting comfortable no matter what hammock I tried when I was using my pad. I even debated going back to ground. But with an UQ, I can usually get reasonably comfortable in even my cheapest hammocks. Your mileage may vary, of course, and no two people are the same, but that's been my experience.

I would argue that you should start with an inexpensive 11' GE hammock and make a quality underquilt the focus of your first major expensive purchase. Trust a fellow backpacker when I say that the weight-to-comfort ratio is significantly more relevant with your UQ than with your hammock.

But please don't take my word for it. Mine is just one viewpoint among hundreds. There are several other threads on the forum that discuss what to buy first. HF is unlike any other forum I'm on in that the members are helpful and insightful and welcoming almost without exception. There is a wealth of information here and a few hours spent searching, reading, asking questions, and learning from those with years of experience will almost certainly save you time, pain, and (perhaps most importantly) money.

Welcome to life above the ground. And as Shug says: Enjoy the journey!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Popcorn fool is right. You’ll be shocked at how much more comfortable an underquilt is over a pad in the hammock.

That said, I’d go to Dutchware, get an 11’ gathered end (with continuous loops, and a ridge line), with a bottom entry net. Simple, easy, and modular. Get 12’tree straps with beetle buckles for suspension. It’s a slightly heavier suspension systems compared to some others, but it’s significantly simpler to setup, and has a much smaller learning curve.

For tarp, you have options. I’d start with something in silpoly, for cost, weight, and durability. I’d get at least a hex tarp, many swear by winter tarps for coverage. I love my 11x10 rectangle myself. It saves a little weight, but can be rigged like a winter tarp.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Twistytee!

I'd like to offer one alternative approach to your thinking. Forget the hammock!

(I can almost hear the audible gasp from across the forum. Blasphemy! Naysayer! Kick him out!)

What I mean to say is that given that you're a backpacker, and given that you're planning to build from scratch, and given that you're going to piecemeal your purchases, your first priority pricey purchase consideration should not be your hammock. For most hammock backpackers, their most expensive from-scratch purchases (in cost order, more or less) will be Underquilt, Topquilt, Pack, Footwear, and Tarp. The hammock doesn't make the top five for a lot of folks. There are exceptions, of course, but the fact of the matter is that you can get a decent (not great, but decent) hammock from Amazon for next to nothing. Even Dutch sells a hammock/bug net combo for fifty bucks. And the only significant distinctions between most GE hammocks are material and features. (I can't wait to read the backlash on THAT comment!)

My point is that it can be a lot less expensive to buy-and-try hammocks than the other items. I've tried at least a half dozen different hammocks, and though there are definitely differences between them, my comfort level didn't improve nearly as dramatically as it did when I switched from a pad to an underquilt. Here's another way of looking at it: I had trouble really getting comfortable no matter what hammock I tried when I was using my pad. I even debated going back to ground. But with an UQ, I can usually get reasonably comfortable in even my cheapest hammocks. Your mileage may vary, of course, and no two people are the same, but that's been my experience.

I would argue that you should start with an inexpensive 11' GE hammock and make a quality underquilt the focus of your first major expensive purchase. Trust a fellow backpacker when I say that the weight-to-comfort ratio is significantly more relevant with your UQ than with your hammock.

But please don't take my word for it. Mine is just one viewpoint among hundreds. There are several other threads on the forum that discuss what to buy first. HF is unlike any other forum I'm on in that the members are helpful and insightful and welcoming almost without exception. There is a wealth of information here and a few hours spent searching, reading, asking questions, and learning from those with years of experience will almost certainly save you time, pain, and (perhaps most importantly) money.

Welcome to life above the ground. And as Shug says: Enjoy the journey!
    ^^^^^^^This is dead-bang on.

It is possible to backpack comfortably and safely with a dramatically lighter pack if you take a holistic approach to the entire process, not just the hammock.

In line with what PopcornFool mentioned, last Fri-Sat I did a quick overnight trip with some friends and our packs were all in the 16-17lb range, and these were confirmed total pack weights (TPW) measured at the trail head with a digital luggage scale. This was kit for 20°F camping, and we were all carrying chairs as well! My hammock was not UL at all, a Dutchware Chameleon in Hexon 1.6 with a top cover, and I was also using an underquilt protector.

I know there is a lot of fascination with gossamer light hammocks, but even as a strong UL advocate I swim against the current on this one and recommend something slightly more robust because the hammock is one piece of gear that must not fail! I do have and use Hexon 1.0 and Robic 1.2 hammocks, but for longer trips farther away from home — where bailout would be tough and hammock failure would ruin the entire trip and put a burden on other people's plans — I'll carry a Hexon 1.6 or Robic 1.7 every time.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I’ll keep the UQ comments in mind when looking. I have a nice 30 degree Arroyo bag with 800 fill to use as a TQ for now. Unfortunately my pack weighs as much as my tent, but it’s super comfortable and carries loads well. So I’ll update that last after focusing on a sleep system. Although there appears to be a seat for every budget, I’m beginning to appreciate the hammock system can be more expensive than a light weight tent set-up when factoring in all of the added components.

In the same context as Popcornfool, I would suggest, an alternative to the initial Tarp Purchase. I wasnt sure what I wanted in a Tarp. I went and bought a 12 X 10, blue, Wally World Tarp with grommets. I was able to modify the tarp to have side pull outs ( Duct Tape and "D" Rings).

You can make full doors from a rectangular tarp. Look at "The Ultimate Hang " book on how to configure this. Derek Hansen has simple diagrams showing how to configure doors.

Playing with this inexpensive tarp, taught me what I wanted in a tarp. I ended up with the 12 foot, USA made, Hammock Gear "Journey" tarp. The Journey is the perfect Tarp for me. That said, the blue tarp is extremely durable. I still use it car camping and backpacking. The weight to me, is a non issue. The blue tarp also can be used for many other things around camp. Multi use at its best.

Have fun.

BTW Shug's videos are incredibly helpful.

Bob

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    2 cents.

They’re right about underquilts being the most important. I spent three long, agonizing nights with a pad shoved in my first hammock. It wasn’t very comfortable, it moved around like crazy’s whenever I tried to roll over, and it made a heck of a lot of noise.

With that said, don’t forget to look at some of the other pieces of kit that come with hammock camping. When I moved from carabiners and kammock python straps to dutchware spider 1.5 straps and the j-bend, I cut a ton of weight. I decided to also get dutchwear spider 1.5 huggers, using evo loops as my “hardware”, I’ve been super happy with that change.

Given that you’re starting from scratch, be intentional about each purchase. Good luck.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Thanks again for all the tips/suggestions. Both the process of putting together a hammock kit and trying to reduce my pack weight is an interesting process. I used to just throw everything in my pack and weigh it fully loaded before heading out the door. Never gave much thought to weights of individual components. I’ve finally started weighing things and keeping a log for my next trip. Budget will dictate me reducing weight over time, but I take everyone’s point about prioritizing quilts and comfort. I’m also somewhat focused on volume as I’d like to move to a smaller pack with side packets and a bit more organization.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Try 900fp down or higher, on your quilt, then. And try to get 10d or 7d fabric?

The higher the fill power, the less feathers needed, the lighter and more compressible the resulting quilt, as I understand it.

And the lighter the fabric (the lower the number), the lighter the resulting quilt. It will be more prone to tearing, though, so be gentle on it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, woopies,
    Images
    FWIW, I have had real good experiences with the Ridge Outdoor Gear hammocks. Real value for the dollar considering how comfortable they are and how well built they are with all the bells and whistles. I was doing a double hang experiment in my hammock laboratory last winter and bought two of them just because they were cheap but “real” hammocks and I was really surprised by how much I liked them. I use one exclusively now for my winter setup because it’s really comfy. American company but not America made unfortunately but really good customer service. Anyway, good luck with the journey. When it comes to gear, there is a certain thrill of the hunt when you find something that works for you. Here’s the link if it helps:

Camping Hammock with Mosquito Net- Pinnacle 180 11 ft Ultralight Hammock Tent with Bug Netting, Straps, Carabiners, Structural Ridgeline, Ripstop Nylon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088SF1N1W...D5F8WAY7C94JFX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Marthe Troly-Curtin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast