Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Overnight winter trip with a Beginner

My Friend James wanted to join us on an overnight trip for his first time ever backpacking and overnight camping. There was snow and ice packed trails and off trail the snow was easily a foot deep. Our plan was to hike about 10 or 11 miles for day 1 and about 4 miles out day 2. Deep down inside, I knew this would most likely not be possible for a first timer, especially in these conditions. He borrowed all the gear needed from me, everything except his clothes, so I knew in that aspect he would be fine. I did recommend he take the tent and set it up once or twice before we out there, but he insisted that he is an engineer.. and he also watched you tube videos about it.. so not a problem. I was concerned.. because I KNEW.. it would be on me to set up the tent for him.. and I warned him.. after hiking all day.. its a different ball game when you are exhausted and beat down and day light is fading.. but he insisted.. no problem. I knew!!!

Anyway, we changed plans during the hike, took a small short cut on an unmaintained winter road to save some time and cut some mileage because I could see and feel him struggling.. we also decided that he would not make the entire planned hike and found a place to make camp at approximately 1:30pm.. about 7 miles in. Of course, he had NO clue what to do with the tent when he unpacked it (Nemo Hornet 1P). On top of a foot of snow and ice.. boulders and small shrubs.. and he could not move another foot.. he was done! It was on me.. which I already knew. So I struggled to get his tent pitched ( wish I brought my MSR hammer this time). As soon as it was pitched.. he layed in the Hilton Hotel, as he said it.. and fell aslepp within 5 minutes. I continued to struggle to find my spot to sleep.. missed my hammock so badly here!!! All the trees.. boulders, snow, ice and small shrubs.. a hammock paradise!! After much cussing and puffing, i found a spot to lay my bivy and decided to pitch my Gatewood Cape since it was going to be in the hi teens and slightly windy thru the rest of the day and thru the night.

I managed to get a nice fire going and it definitely set the night perfectly for both of us. We both slept warm and cozy all night.

The other guys we started hiking with, Bob and Mike were ahead of us and they made it to the planned area for the night. I was able to communicate with them so they knew we were not making it there and knew we were ok for the night. They actually hiked into us the next morning so we could all hike out together that last mile!! Kuddos Bob and Mike.. very cool if you guys!!! My friend James was highly impressed and he had a great time and I think he had caught the bug now. Claims he will be back and already looking into his own gear and another trip!! In large part to meeting new people (Bob and Mike) and seeing how they hiked into us in the morning to meet up and hike out together. All in all it was a great trip.. check-out the trip video if you have 14 minutes to spare…

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Wow! Great decision making. 1) not leaving your friend at his own camp to continue on with others. 2) Having a means to keep in contact if the group gets separated. So many times with the person I hike with - if her older kids are with us, they go on ahead. It makes me anxious at every fork in the trail. And no one wants to carry those hiker walkie-talkies. I haven’t played your video yet but I’m sure I’ll learn something and/or be reminded of a mistake I’ve made in the past. Thank you for sharing.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Very neat. Yes, having a hammock to get off the snow and rocks is a luxury. And better to end on a positive note with lower mileage than to crush your friend's spirit on the first trip.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hey DBH, great hiking with you guys and meeting James... what a trooper!!

I get the feeling he'll be sticking with it and am looking forward to more outdoor stuff with you guys as the weather warms up. Good decision not to head over to Big Hill because it turned into a genyoowine slog! It was really a breeze the following morning, all nice and solid.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    @cougermeat.. we did not carry walkie talkies.. we did have cell phone service where we were. We also all carried our Garmin Minis' with us which if really needed would have been a means of communicating.. but our cell phones did work.

@Bobonli.. definitely yes Hammock a luxury in that spot..and yes it worked out perfect for a short exit!!!

@cmoulder..thanks for everything!! You guys really are great company and like I said.. James was so surprised when you met up with us in the morning to hike out together.. as I have told him the people in the backpacking community in general are mostly all friendly people and do look out for one another...

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Ha, we booked outta there right around 8am and were thinking we might get lucky and catch you guys.

James has certainly got a great mentor in you for backpacking and for hammocking (next time!)
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Lol @ next time (hammocking)

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    awesome video as always
    jimmy is the man
    i have done that loop before, i give props, especially in those conditions...
    i need to hike with jimmy, loved how he got over the last log

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    awesome video as always
    jimmy is the man
    i have done that loop before, i give props, especially in those conditions...
    i need to hike with jimmy, loved how he got over the last log
    Hahaha probably my favorite part of entire video.. He just sort of rolled over the log and ended up sitting on it for a break!! So funny!! We will all get out there again soon.

• + New Posts