Underquilt for Darien

I am so on the fence about an underquilt. Not questioning the need for one but which one. Primary purpose is for long trips backpacking so weight is a concern. I have a DH 11ft Darien coming so need to combine with that hammock. I know there are several great companies so not worried about making a bad choice but am new to a hammock as I have been a (words we cannot say) tenter for years. Looking forward to the transition and getting off the wet ground.

Open to suggestions but leaning towards the UGQ or HammockGear 20 degree UQ’s and do not want 3/4 length as I will be camping in 20’s in the winter. Packing size and weight have me leaning toward HG. Dream Equipment is always top notch. Both have the sleeves to prevent getting cold. Thinking either 850 or 950 fill.

Open to inputs or other suggestions. Maybe I should buy used if I can find one. Just thought I would reach out to this group before pulling the trigger.....

Images
    The Darien can be paired with pretty much any underquilt; there's nothing about it that's especially different from other gathered end hammocks.

If pack size is a concern, you should look at getting a quilt with 10D or at most 15D fabrics. The fabric actually makes more of a difference to the finished weight and compressed volume than the down fill does.

UGQ gives you the choice of fabrics on their custom quilts. (Most vendors do, really.) Hammock Gear is sort of an exception, as you have to step up to the Premium line to get 10D fabric... but if you want 850 or 950 FP, you'd need to get the Premium version anyhow.

For 10D, look for fabrics by the names Membrane 10 (M10) or Argon 67. If you choose UGQ, note that the MRS20 fabric they offer is a 20D fabric, and therefore heavier and bulkier than the M10 they also offer.

Edit: Dream Hammock does have something of a partnership with UGQ, but I wouldn't really let that sway your decision about which quilt brand to buy.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just make sure that whatever UQ you get you learn to set it up correctly.
    That is where most new hammockers have issues.
    I have a UQ Playlist to peruse if you want to take a gander.....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    By the way I used to live in Charlotte. 4th grade though college years. Left 1979 to join the circus.
    West Meck high school class of 1976.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Shug,
    Seen a lot of your videos, thanks so much for all of the early help in my decision. Love Charlotte, live near Providence High. Did not know you were Minn., have been to BWCA many times. Great place.
    Both of these quilts look like they will work well with the Darien so it is left up to user error. ��

Also, my Dad was a Carnie and we ended up in MB where he managed the pavilion. Know the circus well
    Last edited by RobertMo; 03-05-2021 at 16:34.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    I promise that you will be very pleased with a Hammock Gear Incubator Premium in either 850 or 950 fill. I would normally recommend the 20 degree as temp-wise it's so versatile, but if you are camping in the winter and expecting 20 degree lows, you may want to go with a 10 degree underquilt so you have some margin for warmth.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMo View Post
    Shug,
    Seen a lot of your videos, thanks so much for all of the early help in my decision. Love Charlotte, live near Providence High. Did not know you were Minn., have been to BWCA many times. Great place.
    Both of these quilts look like they will work well with the Darien so it is left up to user error. ��

Also, my Dad was a Carnie and we ended up in MB where he managed the pavilion. Know the circus well
    Ahh...Providence Day...old football rivals.
    Our family was an Ocean Drive family but we did go to Myrtle Beach Pavilion a couple of times. MB was up-scale for my Dad. Seafood at Murrel's Inlet though nightly.

Sean Emery...Linebacker 1975 Junior Year by Sean Emery, on Flickr
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks again for the help and all of the great videos. I think I have narrowed it down the HG premium with 850 down (waterproof) and 20 degree. Like the zipper footing so I can use it for 3 seasons as a top cover during warmer months.

Going to do a top cover and UQ.

Love the picture. We were a murrelet inlet fan too, great seafood....

Images
    I have an 11' Darien with top wind cover. All of my UQ's from different vendors fit perfectly. 11404071965_2db06c63e1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by unshavenman View Post
    I promise that you will be very pleased with a Hammock Gear Incubator Premium in either 850 or 950 fill. I would normally recommend the 20 degree as temp-wise it's so versatile, but if you are camping in the winter and expecting 20 degree lows, you may want to go with a 10 degree underquilt so you have some margin for warmth.
    The HG 10 degree is "marvelous"! I have an econ 20, a premium 10, and 3/4 length 20 all from HG. Below freezing, I'd go with the 10. I hate waking up because my underside is chilly.

• + New Posts