Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'll try that next time. Even if I can get a few good uses it's better than nothing.
    The company I work for downpacks various silicones and other adhesives into really small syringes for use on the assembly line. They store them in a deep freeze (-40°ish) and put a shelf life of 6 months on each one. That's just protocol though; I'd wager they'd last much longer unless they're frequently reopening and closing them.

Most of these silicones are RTV or room temperature vulcanizing. The freezer definitely slows things down.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-04-2021 at 14:08.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donig View Post
    Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer is sold at most auto parts stores and works great. $6 for a 1.5 oz tube.
    That's all I've ever used, but also effectively threw away 4 nearly-full tubes now. I can sometimes get a second use by piercing the tube itself after the main hole gets clogged.

A .25oz tube or something similar would be perfect.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I understand the frustration with a dried up tube - happens to me every time I use a bit of superglue. But for me, the application of sealant is a “one time” event - with that time maybe being a 5 year (or more) interval. In the paddling community, after I expressed an overly concerned about a piece of gear, an old-timer reminded me that “gear wears out”, then you get to replace it (usual with something better/lighter/more focused). If I had to buy a tube of sealant every 5 years (arbitrary length to time), it would be one of the least expensive costs of my adventures. But I’m not a DIY guy so most my gear either is already sealed or comes with sealant. Just curious what the need is to use the sealer so often?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I understand the frustration with a dried up tube - happens to me every time I use a bit of superglue. But for me, the application of sealant is a “one time” event - with that time maybe being a 5 year (or more) interval. In the paddling community, after I expressed an overly concerned about a piece of gear, an old-timer reminded me that “gear wears out”, then you get to replace it (usual with something better/lighter/more focused). If I had to buy a tube of sealant every 5 years (arbitrary length to time), it would be one of the least expensive costs of my adventures. But I’m not a DIY guy so most my gear either is already sealed or comes with sealant. Just curious what the need is to use the sealer so often?
    I just patched a hole in my hot tent from an ember. Literally the size of sharp pencil tip. Now I'm looking to reseal my kayak skirt since the tape is dried and flaky. Awhile back I used some on a drybag.

That's a pretty big waste to spend $19 on some small jobs. Not terrible if you consider the gear is fixed now. But I'm still throwing away about 16 of that $19. Three small tubes of the warbonnet size would have been perfect.

Images
    I freeze SeamSeal between uses and thaw out before use. Then refreeze- lasts for years.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I see. I thought a tube was more about $5.00 - $7.00.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I think it one of those things where the tube costs more than the contents so a large tube of sealant costs only a little more than tube half the size. It is like when you get a soda at a fast food restaurant, the cup costs them about 5c and the contents about half that so they do any size for $1.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12