Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.7 XL 10'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly/doors
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been using aluminum spreaders bars from Dutch Ware, .665 36" for the head end and .582 32" for the foot on several Bic pattern hammocks I've made over the years without any problems. I haven't looked into lighter options like graphite. For me, I actually made the hammocks shorter(78") than the pattern calls for due to my smaller than average stature (5'7", 130 lbs.). I have made them out of different fabrics and find a heavier one more comfortable, but now I'd like to try WV's design. Oh yeah, I got the printed out Bic pattern from Ripstop By The Roll. Fun to make!

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I splurged for the carbon fiber poles from Ruta Locura (in the Ridgerunner sizes for a modified Bic pattern I'm doing), but have another set of aluminum ones from Quest Outfitters for the regular ones in the Bic plan (36").

As far as the pattern goes, I've done the regular pattern from Ripstop, which was a great jumping off point, but I have modifications that strengthen it a bit and save a few grams...I'm not obsessive but if I can I might as well save weight. I'm not sure if the benefit of channeled amsteel will outweigh the extra fiddling in the People's Bridge but I am curious about making one.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The biggest possible weight saving measure is probably to use trekking poles as spreader bars. It's not an easy swap, as it requires different spreader bar attachment method and paying attention to possible additional forces acting on the trekking poles, but most gram weenies celebrate when they cut as much as an ounce or two, and this offers 5 times that. What if you don't use trekking poles? You should be - not just when you're my age, but next year, or sooner. Your body will thank you.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    The biggest possible weight saving measure is probably to use trekking poles as spreader bars. It's not an easy swap, as it requires different spreader bar attachment method and paying attention to possible additional forces acting on the trekking poles, but most gram weenies celebrate when they cut as much as an ounce or two, and this offers 5 times that. What if you don't use trekking poles? You should be - not just when you're my age, but next year, or sooner. Your body will thank you.
    I got some last year. I'm just not used to using them. I really don't think I want to use them as spreader bars either. I'm comfortable with them for porch mode - hell I've even done a one tree hang using them so far. I just want this to be a alpha model if you will. I like a true bridge hammock versus the spreader bar hammock

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I understand your hesitance about using trekking poles as bridge spreaders. By all means, start with what you're comfortable with. It does take some extra effort to make sure the materials are up to the task. I'm not clear on your distinction between a true bridge hammock versus the spreader bar hammock. All bridge hammocks have spreader bars, either at the ends or recessed a bit.

I was responding to Packman9000's post about splurging on carbon fiber poles to save weight. Not using additional poles when you're already carrying some to hike with saves even more. It is still possible to splurge, however. Just Bill sent me a lovely bridge built to be used with carbon fiber trekking poles. (He sent the poles to go with it, too. They weigh 8.13 ounces - that's both of them.)
    Last edited by WV; 03-11-2021 at 15:33.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    ......... I'm not clear on your distinction between a true bridge hammock versus the spreader bar hammock. All bridge hammocks have spreader bars, either at the ends or recessed a bit.,............
    I'm not really sure either what the distinction is exactly - It seems to be the distinction between a hammock that integrates the spreader bar with the body of the hammock (think bic design) vs the kind that "drape" Rather than be stretched?

Anyhow I appreciate the help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    That's what I think, too. It's the tension on the sides, whether tendons in channels or sewn on webbing, that make it act like a suspension bridge.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Brilliant update. GrizzlyAdams & I have been in contact. What a great guy. He has confirmed some general finished measurements I had questions on. I have made plans and drawn them up.

Materials are almost here - spreader bars still coming. I have decided to cut fabric, hem and set aside for later. And am now adapting XTRekers catcurve generator for the body, and tracing out the cuts (this is actually the case for every cut I need to make). I need a hot knife I hate to say but can't afford to have it fray at all. Using 2.2 HEX70 XL I don't want to lose anything.

Hopefully the next update you see is the finished product.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I finally finished the plans. Available for any and all to download.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wdy...ew?usp=sharing

I tried downloading but it says I don't have the rights.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn POCO F2 Pro met Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast