Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain

First ge hammock

Hey all... so I entered the hammock arena last year and have been splitting time between my haven and amok. There is always a part of me that wonders why all the hubbub over ge hammocks when you can get a “lay flat” bridge, haven amok etc. id gate to miss out and I’d like to give it a shot and have decided to kinda go middle of the road do to speak. I’ve narrowed it down to an wb eldorado or a the bug netted hammock gear. I like the idea of the symmetrical hammock gear because I have no idea of my preferred lay but also like that the eldorado is reversible. Either way the price seems right for both and I like that they are in stock type hammocks as opposed to a custom order. Am I on the right track as far as a first time ge hanger?
    thanks
    kris

Images
    I'd say you're on the right track for sure with either of those. The Eldorado is a very popular hammock, and the Hammock Gear hammocks seem like they have also been gaining traction since they started making them and especially since they started offering complete bundles (Wanderlust kits). Until somewhat recently (2019?), they sold quilts and tarps - not actual hammocks, ironically.

Those two hammocks are not exactly the same breed of apples though. The Eldorado has the removable net, which could also be replaced by a winter top cover, if you wished or no cover at all when the bugs aren't out. The HG hammocks have a non-removable net.

Nothing against the hammocks you own at all, but one key advantage that would steer a lot of people toward the GE is that if made from like materials, they will most likely end up weighing less and taking up less pack space than other hammock styles (bridge, Amok Draumr, Haven, etc..).
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-03-2021 at 18:52.

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    If you just want to try a symmetrical GE, check out SLD’s The Starter.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    or get a crinkle taffeta tablecloth and whip one up!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-way-I-do-it)

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    Thanks... I actually figured I’d spend the extra and get one with an integrated bug net. I did check out the trail lair but that’s at a considerable price increase.
    kris

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    kmazuro - your second post so welcome to the forum. Here’s the deal - or one aspect of the deal. First is weight and bulk. In general, the GE will weigh less and be less bulky than a bridge and definitely the amok. Second is the tarp. Much easier, with more options (doors, internal/external pole modes, etc.), to tarp a GE. Note that the popular Ridge Runner bridge recommends a 13 ft span between apex points. That is not a rule, my friend likes hers at 12 ft. But if you want doors AND you want them to close completely AND you want a 13+ span, you’ll be looking for a 13 ft tarp (and 13 ft snake skins) and the standard 11 ft tarp and 11 ft GE hammock are much easier to match. Third is Flat Lie - my flat lie in the the RR feels different than the flat lie in a GE, both flat-ish, but different. Also consider under quilts. I have a specific Lynx UQ for the RR but several mix-n-match UQ’s for my GE hammocks.

One thing to keep in mind is though you can get a flat lie with the GE, it will feel different. And it will be much more influenced by the quality of your hang - amount of sag, stretchiness of fabric, head end vs foot end height difference, etc.

It’s like this … once upon a time I competed in archery tournaments. My bow was a Wing, not a top-of-line Hoyt (going back about 5 decades). When I finally moved up to a Hoyt, though a technically better bow, initially my scores dropped because the Wing had become part of my hand. I’m not saying it made it difficult to eat a meal, hold utensils, etc. It’s just that, even today, 40+ years later, when I lay it in my hand it just … fits. Unfortunately, Carter decided we weren’t going to the Olympics in protest to Russia’s actions. And then I had to focus on making a living. So I never bonded with the Hoyt like I did the Wing. But my scores did improve and got better.

So if you are use to your Haven and Amok, when you move to a GE, it will feel different and maybe, initially, not as good. But it’s not that it’s “not as good”; it’s just different.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Thank you everyone for your replies! My main reason for wanting to try the ge route is that although I truly do love how the haven sets up, there is no real learning curve, however, I can’t truly say I have a great nights sleep. I do not blame the product... same with the amok. I’ve just never been one to sleep all that great in the woods period. I never realized until reading this forum that people have ge hammocks set up in their house and sleep in them because to them.... they feel that good. Now, I have no illusions that this will be the case with me but who knows.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Flat lay in a gathered end hammock is not exactly flat—but flat enough...and the slight curvature holds ever so comfortably...you feel like you won’t fall out!
    If you’ve ever laid back in a recliner that lays all the way back—the lay feels flat, but is not quite flat as a board...but I think that just as in a gathered end hammock...the comfort is enhanced.
    I recommend getting a minimum of 11x5
    My hammock is 12x6
    Recently I got a gathered end hammock
    11 and a half feet long by around 6 feet wide
    Haven’t tried it out yet

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Well, to close this out, I went ahead and ordered the hammock gear bug netted hammock. It seems to be at least comparable to the other offerings, in stock and feature rich for the money. Probably order an ahe jarbidge Uq and give it a go.
    kris

• + New Posts