Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images

HG Burrow - 50 or 55" wide?

I currently have a Econ Burrow 20, regular length, Wide width (55"). I feel like I dont really need the extra 5" and could do fine with a 50" regular quilt. Seems like I just stuff the extra quilt of my Wide underneath me where it does no good.

Im going to pick up a Burrow 40 for warmer nights and to cut 7oz from my pack.

As I only expect to be sleeping in a hammock, is there any reason to get another Wide? I feel like a regular will be fine but will feel better about it if you all tell me to do it. You give me that warm fuzzy feeling before spending $

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    mcimes - you might have mentioned it in another post but it depends on your size. The marketing idea behind the extra wide - mentioned in HG’s description at one time - is somethings a person has to go-to-ground; like a thru hiker who will sometimes have to tarp camp. In that case, the wider UQ is easier to tuck into your sides AND STAY THERE. So you are right that what is under you is compressed - no benefit there. But as you change position in the hammock, it might open an air gap that needs tucked in. The wider TQ minimizes the tendency for such a gap. It’s amazing how much difference the extra width will make. But is it necessary… Not for me. I’m tiny (5’5”). Maybe in winter, cold night in a RR - which doesn’t come up on the sides (hug me) as much as a GE - I might use it. So it has a purpose. But a Burrow 40 in a GE for warmer nights should leave you feeling warm and fuzzy.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Considering you say:

- you don't need the extra width of the 20° you already have
    - the extra width gets tucked under (you'll most likely still be able to do that with a 50" wide)
    - you'll only use it in a hammock

there's no reason for you to get another wide version, IMO.

I suggest you contact HG and see if you can sell them back the extra 5" from your 20° quilt for a discount on the 40°.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I'm the opposite...my first quilt was the wide HG Econ Burrow 40. Then, I picked up a standard Econ Burrow 20F. No issues with the narrower width.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    I would go with the 50" as the extra width of the wider quilt can create air spaces next to you that are hard to heat with your body.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Im going to pick up a Burrow 40 for warmer nights and to cut 7oz from my pack.
    If your eventual goal is to cut pack weight significantly, perhaps consider going with a Premium Burrow with 950fp and sewn footbox which will increase your net weight savings by a whopping 13oz(!!) — 25.97oz vs 13.06 according to HG calculator — and will also reduce pack volume enormously. With other weight reduction strategies applied to your total kit, you'll also be able to use a much smaller pack when the weight and volume savings are compounded.

IMO it is good to ponder this at this point because the quilt is one of "The Big Four" where the largest chunks of weight savings can be realized. And in Gramweenieland 13oz is a *very* big chunk.

I mention this only because I've personally experienced (and have seen it quite a few times on HF) the situation where folks are selling heavier quilts in order to purchase the exact same quilts in lighter, more compact versions. It doesn't matter if you're a car camper or only hiking a short distance to set up camp, but for a backpacker who hikes longer distances for multiple days it becomes more and more of an issue and one starts looking for any and all ways to trim the kit where-ever possible.

There's lots more to this and to take it further would be off topic, but for donating members (highly recommended!) there is an Ultra Lite Gear forum where this and all other gear weight reduction techniques and strategies are discussed.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Alright, you all have made me feel good about 50, so it will be!

RE the premium vs econ, the weight difference (according to the HG estimator) is only 3oz and its $100 more. I know 10d packs down significantly smaller so the size benefit is real, but the weight benefit of premium insulation is horrible! (just looking at the incremental savings of Prem 40 vs Econ 40)
    My easy-to-cut weight is dwindling. I've purchased all the items that cost $100/lb weight savings. Now the next round of lightening will cost about $200/lb. Premium insulation is $400-500/lb of weight saved, ignoring the size savings, so I think I'll only go Premium once my pack size requires it. But I just got a Mariposa 60 and dont plan on going much smaller than that as im trying to blend light weight with glamping. I still need to fully pack the Mariposa so I'll do that before pulling the trigger. If im right at the edge of pack space the Premium might be in the cards, but am hoping the econ will suffice.

I like this idea, but somehow dont think Harry would be on board
    "I suggest you contact HG and see if you can sell them back the extra 5" from your 20° quilt for a discount on the 40°. "

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I mention this only because I've personally experienced (and have seen it quite a few times on HF) the situation where folks are selling heavier quilts in order to purchase the exact same quilts in lighter, more compact versions.
    I actually did with two identical premium quilts but just to change colors. I know. That's messed up.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I actually did with two identical premium quilts but just to change colors. I know. That's messed up.
    LOL well I wouldn't do it for color! Although I did buy a camo version of the HG Hex tarp, but I actually have used it for its stealth aspect and not just cuz camo is cool.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Is there a limit to the comfort on a 50” width if you’re broader through the back/shoulders? I’m not tall so would prefer to stay standard length and width but I sometimes have to bump up to XL jackets because of this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast