SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Shoulder Cold Spot

We're all use to hearing about "Cold Butt Syndrome" but what about cold upper back/shoulder area?

I was setting up my Warbonnet XLC with a Loco Libre Habanero 0F degree underquilt. I was mostly warm but kept getting a chill right at the top of my back and shoulders. I tried shifting around some but finally got out to take a look. Everything seemed right so I went back in and same thing was happening again.

Finally I got fed up, put my pack in the hammock, it was probably about 20 pounds or so at the time, and took a look to see if there were any gaps. From looking at it, it appeared that I had over tightened the secondary suspension and the hammock was riding up to high if that makes sense.

I had never heard of anyone over tightening a secondary suspension! Once I loosened that, then cinched down the end a bit I was warm as could be.

Just goes to show you, you can learn something new with each hang and each setup.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    UQs are all about figuring out the problems. So many adjustments like what you had. Ride up past head....cause a gap.
    It is why I have been suggesting the Superior Gear hammock to many brand new hammockers. I think their UQ, whether built in or snap on is a no-brainer and gives the newb a fighting chance. UQs seem to be the deal-breaker very often.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    Finally I got fed up, put my pack in the hammock, it was probably about 20 pounds or so at the time, and took a look to see if there were any gaps.
    It's so tough to figure out what's going on while in the hammock OR looking at it without that extra weight in it for sure. I should get a crash test dummy... 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    UQs are all about figuring out the problems. So many adjustments like what you had. Ride up past head....cause a gap.
    It is why I have been suggesting the Superior Gear hammock to many brand new hammockers...
    As much as I love my Trail Winder, it's rated to 20° and as a cold sleeper, I start getting uncomfortable when it gets dipping below 30°. I can stack an extra layer under it to give me extra warmth, but then that's two layers under me to tension, pull back up to my shoulder or disappear completely under me when I get in and out of my hammock at 2am.

The SG system looks so appealing and unfussy. I'm thinking about getting their setup with snap-ons so I have one less thing to worry about in freezing temps.

• + New Posts