Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Yeti UQ with Chameleon hammock

I got my brand new Chameleon hammock about a week ago, and my Yeti UQ arrived yesterday. I'm planning to set them up in the yard this weekend for an overnight test before going on a short backpacking trip in a couple weeks. Based on Warbonnet's directions, since the Yeti is designed to work with the Blackbird XLC, it should also work with my 11' (standard width) chameleon. I saw a couple comments about lengthening the Wookie UQs to fit 11' hammocks. Is that also a concern with the Yeti? I also have a set of the Dutchware Quilt Hangers. Does anyone have experience with those?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by docbrown View Post
    I saw a couple comments about lengthening the Wookie UQs to fit 11' hammocks. Is that also a concern with the Yeti?
    That is not a concern, due to the design differences between those two models. The Wooki essentially has only a short, heavy rubber band to provide any give in the suspension, and since it is designed for one specific hammock, that's really all the flexibility that's needed for its suspension. The Yeti has a more typical suspension that makes it more universal and easily adaptable to different gathered end hammocks.

However, those quilt hangers were probably a good call, as the Yeti relies on the "ball-shaped" gathered ends of the WBBB hammocks to support it. The quilt hangers will allow you to hook the UQ suspension into the continuous loops of the Chameleon.

If you find you don't like them, a simple plastic S-biner or aluminum mini-biner works just as well, which is what most UQs come supplied with.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-03-2021 at 12:07.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I now have 7 nights completed with my Chameleon+Yeti. I don't have anything to compare it to, since it's my first hammock/UQ setup. I have noticed that the UQ suspension is pulled much tighter than I would expect when I attach it to the hammock. It hasn't broken on me, so perhaps it's by design.

The bigger issue I have is that the UQ always rides up when I'm using it. I can position it so the top end is at my shoulder, and then I shift around in the hammock to get comfortable (pushing out the calf ridge and all). When I check again a short time later, the UQ has slid up so the top end is under my head. With a 2/3 length UQ, that extra foot makes a difference in warmth on chilly nights! I tried staking out the head end of my chameleon on this past trip, and it didn't make any difference. Does anyone else have much experience with the Yeti to tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Would something like the AHE triangle thingies help me out here?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a yeti with the warbonnet xlc and run into the same issue. Two things that might help.

1. Getting a real good diagonal lay to kind of tuck your shoulder into a corner of the quilt.
    2. Those real cheap quilt hooks that snap on top of a ridgeline and kind of pull the sides up.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. Whipped
    Tarp
    WL-Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Doesn’t the Chameleon have quilt hooks in the side hem? Try clipping the suspension into those.

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    Here are the quilt hooks, I've found that they make a pretty big difference on my Phoenix.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ri...e-quilt-hooks/

Images
    Does the Yeti now come with a secondary suspension? The shorter JRB's do, I'm not sure about the Yeti. If not, I highly recommend you add one(but check to make sure a mod will not void warranty). With a secondary suspension(primarily to prevent the accordion effect). Using these, my shorter UQs stay put.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uKRt3PaUgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIiHN6Y88iw

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Does the Yeti now come with a secondary suspension?
    Not as of a few weeks ago.

Hammock
    SLD 1.2 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    I have a similar issue with the suspension, I have an Eldorado and can feel the suspension on my head or shoulders. Didn't really experience any sort of sliding though; WB does say in the instructions that you may need to use some carabiners to attach properly to other brands of hammocks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravbad View Post
    I have a similar issue with the suspension, I have an Eldorado and can feel the suspension on my head or shoulders. Didn't really experience any sort of sliding though; WB does say in the instructions that you may need to use some carabiners to attach properly to other brands of hammocks.
    Try sliding the UQ back on head end just a bit. May help.
    Oh the mysterious and baffling UQs......https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast