Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Lightbulb Updated Hammock Hang Calculator - 2021

Hey friends!

I've updated my hammock hang calculator, making it more functional and robust.

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

hammock-calculator-2.jpg

What's New:

• Completely re-written from the ground up
    • You can now calculate either the hang HEIGHT or DISTANCE (perfect for those who are hanging from a known height, like a ceiling)
    • More robust calculation that accounts for a ridgeline (or not!)
    • Updated graphics
    • Mobile friendly, responsive design

What's Coming:

• I'm working on a better metric / imperial conversion. Right now, you can switch the calculation between the two options, which accurately calculates between metric or imperial, but the toggle doesn't do a magic convert. I need to write some Javascript to do that switch. For now, you need to be aware that your inputs needs to be in the right unit (e.g., 18 in vs. 45 cm)
    • Offline app. This one is much more complicated and time-consuming, but it's coming. As some of you know, I'm not an app developer, and since the app is not self-sustaining (e.g., it doesn't pay for itself), I'm relying on a friend to help me during his off time to build the app. This means we are focusing on basic functionality for offline access vs. all the bells and whistles I would like. If you are an app developer -- especially for Android -- let's chat. I've got a lot of cool ideas I'd love to have, it's just a matter of getting some help. It's truly a labor of love.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Would there be any way to put in an option for showing head end height vs. foot end height such as having the foot 1 foot higher? Not sure if something like this was ask before.

Images
    Side point: Maybe a comprehensive hammocking app would be good (and maybe profitable). It could include hang calculator, but also commonly used knots, measurements, field fixes, trip log, etc etc. Anything you would want in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    Would there be any way to put in an option for showing head end height vs. foot end height such as having the foot 1 foot higher? Not sure if something like this was ask before.
    This is a very good idea- if it can be done? I was just thinking the same thing- sitting here and looking at my nightly sleeper? Inquiring minds are curious?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    This is a very good idea- if it can be done? I was just thinking the same thing- sitting here and looking at my nightly sleeper? Inquiring minds are curious?
    I've had several folks ask this and my response is the same for both -- "why? when an off-center hang does the same thing?"

Let me explain. First, the niche use where you can adjust the head or foot end higher/lower, would require a lot more complication in both the calculation and output. Right now, the artwork is already condensed into a tight space. By adding an adjustment for raising one end, it would require showing head, foot, and hammock hang angles, and it further complicates the force calculations. If you want to maintain the same hang angle (let's say 30 degrees) on both sides, you hang heights would be higher than you may think.

On a more practical side, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO to have the SAME effect is keep the hang points the SAME on both sides and only shift your hammock OFF CENTER. If you put your foot end CLOSER to one anchor point than the head end, it will raise the foot end without the hassle of actually raising the attachment point. When you have a wide anchor distance, say 15 feet or more, your hang point is already pretty high for 30 degrees. At 18 feet, the hang point is close to 7 feet high. So, the wider the distance, the higher the hang point. If you were going to keep your hammock centered, you'd have to use a step ladder to raise the foot end. Don't do it! Just keep the hang points the same and shift the hammock off center. Try it. I illustrate this tip in my book, The Ultimate Hang. It works!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Side point: Maybe a comprehensive hammocking app would be good (and maybe profitable). It could include hang calculator, but also commonly used knots, measurements, field fixes, trip log, etc etc. Anything you would want in the field.
    Yes, I have a similar list of "cool" things I'd like to have in the app. The challenge is development cost. I've received quotes from a few app development companies a few years ago and I quickly learned that it's far too expensive. The app I proposed, which was still pretty lean (calculator + clinometer + tips) was a price >$30,000. Even with a paid app, the price doesn't even pay for itself to date. Believe me, I WANT to have a cool hammock app, but until I become independently wealthy or I learn how to code an app on my own, I'm down to very limited options. I know that some people have the perception that since I make money on book sales or app sales I must be running a nice business, but the truth is that my hammock work is all hobby and "fun" for me. I'm not Dutch I'm not HamomckGear I'm not even close to Shug, who I believe actually makes money on his YouTube videos. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful when someone buys my book, but I'm not quitting my day job any time soon

My biggest concern to date was getting cross platform reliability. It's been "easy" to get an iOS app to work, but Android is a challenge. Android is such a broad, shifting landscape, as soon as we were able to fix one variety, it would break on another, and as a result, the current app has just become unusable.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

• + New Posts