warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery

Tarp: bonding circular patches for tieout reinforcements

Now I am trying and testing the circular patches bonded with silicon on the tarp. So far so good. Needed some practice to work it out, mainly not to turn the tarp into mess. Have been working with xenon .9 and xenon 1.1 so far. Amazing fabrics from Dutch. Lets see how long this will hold with weather and time.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    CLEAN! You hear "function over form" often, but sometimes good aesthetics just make you feel good

I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up.

And I like how you didn't sew the full "X" on the webbing. Totally overkill and nothing more than extra holes in the tarp.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Thank you, I always try to make as less holes as possible into the panel. That is why I tried bonding.

How did you get yours so be so clean?! All my patches look like a hot mess. Are you concerned any of the edges will lift since you didn't paint over them with si?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I put the patch on piece of newspaper /to trash/, and gently apply the silicone with my fingertip going form the center to outside. Once very close to the border, I take care about not mess the other side of the patch. That means to pass with my finger over the border and then move the patch on the newspaper to its clean unused part, and proceed the rest of the patch. I put as less silicone as possible. This way you end up with silicone on one side only. I clean my finger with tissue, take the patch, and apply on the tarp. Slowly, so the patch will not fold, stick together, or get dirty. I may end up with some air bubbles, thus, again with my fingers, I push the bubbles from the center towards outside. If there is silicone going out, I immediately clean it not to spread it more around. There might by some silicone on the border of the patch as moving it around pushing the bubbles. After 1,5 hours, I take the paper tissue /one that doesnt leave bits/, and clean visible silicone. This is the stage when silicone is not mature, but it is not too liquid either. So it gets of the fabric nicely without trace.

Will see how the edges will perform. But the worst scenario will be applying some very little silicon around the border again I used this method 6 months ago for the first time and the tarp that I use still looks new.

Hammock
    DIY silnylon 12ft
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly hex 12
    I've literally just applied circle patches and silicone myself, to a DIY silpoly tarp.

Seriously overestimated how much silicone I needed. When it came to pushing out the bubbles, tons smeered out of the edges... Oh well, next time I do it, it'll be as clean as yours!

Question though, did you bother to chalk / talcum powder / cornflour the patches to avoid sticking? I guess not, as you only got silicone on the inside of the patch...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerangBob View Post
    I've literally just applied circle patches and silicone myself, to a DIY silpoly tarp.

Seriously overestimated how much silicone I needed. When it came to pushing out the bubbles, tons smeered out of the edges... Oh well, next time I do it, it'll be as clean as yours!

Question though, did you bother to chalk / talcum powder / cornflour the patches to avoid sticking? I guess not, as you only got silicone on the inside of the patch...

No, I dont do powder or anything else. On the ridgeline too, I keep it shiny. TIP: if you want your silicone with matt finish, apply and leave the silicon dry out in very humid and cold conditions, like a bit of rain, and moisture. Was not my intention, but I took my tarp to seam seal in the forest and dry out during the night below another tarp. In the morning, the seam was finished with very professional matt look.

Well, if that happens, that some silicon leak out from below the patch while spreading it, dont worry. Clean the mess right on, and wait some 2 hours. Then the silicon is not wet but not dry yet... very easy to remove with tissue paper. Did it millions of times.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerangBob View Post

No, I dont do powder or anything else. On the ridgeline too, I keep it shiny. TIP: if you want your silicone with matt finish, apply and leave the silicon dry out in very humid and cold conditions, like a bit of rain, and moisture. Was not my intention, but I took my tarp to seam seal in the forest and dry out during the night below another tarp. In the morning, the seam was finished with very professional matt look.

Well, if that happens, that some silicon leak out from below the patch while spreading it, dont worry. Clean the mess right on, and wait some 2 hours. Then the silicon is not wet but not dry yet... very easy to remove with tissue paper. Did it millions of times.

Hammock
    CAMO DIY
    Tarp
    Sil Poly cammo DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Got to say your attention to detail is impressive it all looks very professional.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast