New hammock angles

Feel like I’m doing something wrong, the center of my hammock is super taut and uncomfortable behind the legs.

I’m hanging in my workroom, the anchors are 15ft apart and at 7’2”... I used the hang calculator to make sure I was close to 30 degrees as possible.

This is 12’ Dream Sparrow, 72” wide.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wookiedrool; 03-01-2021 at 22:00.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Without even trying to calculate anything, I would suggest you just start playing around with those cinch buckles. Head end lower than foot end etc. Except for the fact that it's a bit harder to change the actual height of attachment vs. on a tree, not much difference otherwise. Well actually a lot harder to change I guess. Do you have a pair of trees you can try things out on somewhere to find what feels comfortable for you and your hammock setup and then transfer that to indoors? Gotta find your sweet spot the usual way

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    Are both anchors at the same height?
    The conventional wisdom says to have your foot end a couple feet higher than your head end, gets you into the sweet easier, and I think it helps with calf ridge.
    So of they're the same height, maybe try tightening the leg end and loosening the head end a little

Images
    What brand hammock? (never mind, I see the brand now in the OP) Is that a manufacturers installed structural ridgeline(RL)? If so, it actually looks slightly loose. Though hard to tell, t does not look like the angles on your straps is too tight. Along with that loose RL, my guess is you are not pitched too tight. Can you use the thumb/iindex finger( like a kid making a pistol) to mak sure you are at about 30º? (but looks like you are close)

You might not be too tight, but rather you may have simply discovered the curse of the gathered end hammock's infamous "calf ridge". A pretty common complaint for users of GE hammocks. Some are much worse than others, but all have it for me, at least sometimes. If this is the problem, folks will be along to give you a dozen suggestions for how to beat it. But the easiest way for me to deal with it is with a big, fat knee pillow.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-01-2021 at 23:59.

I shortened the foot end by a little over a foot and lowered the head end about 6” made a big deference.

Now I just need the weather to cooperate a little so can get some actual tree time.

Hammock
    XLC, Superior Gear 0deg
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas
    I find I also had to shorten the ridgeline just a small bit. I used a biner and wrapped the line around it twice. I also have gotten into the habit of pushing the foot box end out with my heels as I get situated and if my hang trees / stand / walls are to close but it is all I have to hang from I use a short pad I made from a walmart z style closed cell pad. I cut it in half. I have a double layer xlc so I put it between the layers at the foot end and follow my routine. I have found for my personal best lay is to make sure my trees are at least 15 but usually 16 or 17 feet apart. But when indoors you are somewhat limited at times. So I use the other tricks I found to work for me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like you may have your hammock hanging a bit high. At least the photo looks that way.
    Like others mentioned, you could lower it a bit from your cinch rings.
    Ridgeline looks pretty loose so yes try wrapping a small biner. Try some different ridgeline lengths for that particular indoor hang.
    Shug
    biner on ridgeline.jpg

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks for all the responses! Feel like I’m getting closer, just need to get out and find some trees.

Lowering the head end significantly has made a big difference, I’m still not sure about the ridgeline yet, but the boy slept in the hammock pretty comfortably last night.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Even if you get the numbers right, people and hammocks are different. So another “aid” is a small knee pillow. What’s a “knee” pillow? Just a small-ish something you can place under a knee. Could be an actual mini-pillow, something inflatable, or extra clothes in a stuff sack. Which knee? Whatever works best. There is no “right way” here. But sometimes a lift under one knee helps things just enough.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-03-2021 at 18:38.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Is that a manufacturers installed structural ridgeline(RL)? If so, it actually looks slightly loose.
    That's likely just because the UQ suspension is lifting the hammock a bit.

wookiedrool - nice action shot in the first photo.

• + New Posts