Double-ish layer hammock unpicking layer... folly?

Hell friends!

I have a question for which I seek non-binding advice!

I have a 2(ish) layer hammock. The second layer is not structural and is actually a big rectangle sewn onto the hammock layer. Think of a sewn on insulation layer but without the insulation.

I like the hammock but don't like this feature, and am wondering if it is stupid to un-pick the stitches and remove this layer. My hopes are to reduce the weight and volume of the hammock.

Here are some pics of the stitching at one of the corners. The black is the main hammock body, and the green is the non-structural, outside layer. In my mind the stitching, or removing it, shouldnt affect the weight bearing capacity of the main hammock body any more than has already been done by the needle in the first place. Or are these corners now so stitched up that the thread is actually supporting the hammock body material, and unstitching it could lead to big holes that might get bigger? I am not heavy, at less than 75kg.

Am I going to ruin this hammock by unstitching the bottom layer? The only case I can see for leaving it is to ward off mosquitos biting through in summer time. I can sort of appreciate this but I wonder if its a bit of a myth outside mosquito infested swamps. I never ever car camp, always carry stuff in my rucksack, and value simplicity and lightness, hence wanting to do away with this obsolete layer. I do have another, lighter hammock but the bug net doesnt unzip all the way as it does with this one, which is a really nice feature for daytime lounging.

Thank you for any thoughts, experiences or advice!

IMG_20210301_183305.jpg

IMG_20210301_183327.jpg

Images
    Those stitches will come out easy. It will be fine as long as you dont accidentally nick the fabric with the ripper.

Sewing does not inherently damage fabric. The needle "holes" are not actually holes - they are just fabric fibers pushed aside. It only becomes "damage" if it was subsequently stretched, ripped, or worn out.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Is it an Amazonas Thermo hammock?

Generally, if the manufacturer added seams in the hammock body, the fabric should be sturdy enough. It shouldn't matter if you pick out the seams. Just try not to damage the layer any more than it already is.

Thanks both for your responses. Hutzelbein, no it is called a bushcraft hammock made by a uk makers, easyhammock.co.uk

Images
    You don't want to stuff it full of leaves and other woodland detritus to stay warm?

Haha haven't felt that desperate yet!

• + New Posts