Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone here used the Silk Sleeping Bag Liner?

It looks like it may have been recently addedhttps://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...ing-bag-liner/. I wanted to see what people's experiences has been with it.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Haven't used that one. But a liner bag of any kind just gets twisted and tangled and makes me mad.

I use one to place my sleeping pad inside because cleaning my sleeping pad is a pain. Also, terrific for summer sleeping as a stand alone. Great for super hot days when you just can't tolerate cloths and you find yourself sticking to your sleeping pad. If you travel a lot it can become invaluable. In addition, it adds a few degrees of warmth to your sleeping bag if you get cold spots in the winter without the weight of a super expensive winter bag. Wouldn't recommend it as a substitute for buying a winter bag below 30°. Personally, I carry one of these and a cheap wool blanket in addition to my three season bag for winter camping down to 15°. Hope that helps.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I have a Rab silk bag, nice for high summer when a sleeping bag of any kind is just too hot, but only used it on the ground. That price is imo above the going rate for a silk bag liner though.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    +1 on what Otter said. I have a silk one, as well as some others, that I use for tent camping. I use a bag in TQ mode instead of a TQ for hammock camping and a liner would be too much hassle. However I do wear undies or longies versus going commando in my hammocks ;-).

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I'm not much on sleeping in clothes, as I've said before, or wearing shoes, so I think I will have to use one. I'll go w/ a wool or fleese one and I'm hoping to snap it to the TQ in a few key spots and avoid the twisted up problem, . . . we'll see.
    Once the short SW winter is over I'll probably be using it on it's own.

I have Sea to Summit's Silk Travel Liner and the Coolmax Adapter (both gifts when I was car camping on fishing trips before I got into hammock camping) Both are a pain to use as they are top entry only.

I found that the best way to use them (even with the hammock) is to place it on the ground like you were going to fill it like a stuff sack. Step into it and then pull it up around you to your shoulders. Then get into your sleep system be it a sleeping bag on a pad/cot or in your hammock.

Taking care of nature's call during the night. Keep the liner on you as you get out of your sleep system, stand up and let the liner fall and then step out of it.

This is much easier than trying to shimmy into the liner while laying down on your pad or in your hammock.

Overall, even though I find them a pain, it's suprising that something so thin can add warmth. They pack so small that I almost always bring one of the liners. Sometimes I will have the liner in the hammock with me and if I get a little chilly, I pull it over myself like a sheet under my quilt. (I grab the bottom of the liner with my toes and pull the liner down over me under the quilt.)

On hot summer outings I use the liner as a top sheet and not bother with a top quilt. The silk one is about the size of a baseball in it's stuff sack and the Coolmax one is about the size of a softball.

- Clyde

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I'm not much on sleeping in clothes, as I've said before, or wearing shoes, so I think I will have to use one. I'll go w/ a wool or fleese one and I'm hoping to snap it to the TQ in a few key spots and avoid the twisted up problem, . . . we'll see.
    My too. Even in the colder weather (near freezing temps) I will sleep in my skivvyies or less. I've got to be cold in order to have a shirt on when I sleep. You might find w/out clothes on you will have less of a twisting issue with the liner.

PS, I too don't like wearing shoes (or socks) You'll find me wearing Five Finger shoes most of the time as it feels as close to barefoot as I've found. And at camp, my camp shoes are huarche running sandals (thin material for a sole & paracord) They take up almost no room in the pack and it's nice to let your barefeet dry out and warm by the fire.

- Clyde

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    My too. Even in the colder weather (near freezing temps) I will sleep in my skivvyies or less. I've got to be cold in order to have a shirt on when I sleep. You might find w/out clothes on you will have less of a twisting issue with the liner.

PS, I too don't like wearing shoes (or socks) You'll find me wearing Five Finger shoes most of the time as it feels as close to barefoot as I've found. And at camp, my camp shoes are huarche running sandals (thin material for a sole & paracord) They take up almost no room in the pack and it's nice to let your barefeet dry out and warm by the fire.

- Clyde
    I'm planning to cut a liner so that it only has a foot box left as a full circle. The rest would be open like a TQ.

In fact I was just looking at a thin fleece airplane blanket I have and may just sew a footbox the same size as my TQ and add a few snaps in the right places to keep it connected to the TQ.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    I have Sea to Summit's Silk Travel Liner and the Coolmax Adapter (both gifts when I was car camping on fishing trips before I got into hammock camping) Both are a pain to use as they are top entry only.
    I used the Coolmax on a summer trip since lows were barely into the 70s. I found it really easy, but on its own with no quilt.

Just pull it up over yourself like a TQ. To get it the rest of the way up to your shoulders just sit up a little.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast