Hammock
    Dream Hammock Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Cosco Quilt

Winter Tarp Selection DELIMMA

Im am planning on buying a winter tarp this year however I'm not sure which vender i should go with I'm considering Dutch Xenon, UGQ Winterdream, Wallhalla Hammocks, or TrailHeadz. I want and 12ft ridge line and the option to use an internal pole mods later. So my question is does anyone have any experience with two or more of these brands and are you able to compare and contrast for me Dutch and UQG seem to shorter Lead time but cost more. Any help is greatly appreciated I tend overthink these kind of things.

Sincerely,
    Big_Bear

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Insulation
    UGQ/???
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bear View Post
    Im am planning on buying a winter tarp this year however I'm not sure which vender i should go with I'm considering Dutch Xenon, UGQ Winterdream, Wallhalla Hammocks, or TrailHeadz. I want and 12ft ridge line and the option to use an internal pole mods later. So my question is does anyone have any experience with two or more of these brands and are you able to compare and contrast for me Dutch and UQG seem to shorter Lead time but cost more. Any help is greatly appreciated I tend overthink these kind of things.

I am thinking about the same thing so I hope we get some replies.

Sincerely,
    Big_Bear

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    A couple of additional details might help. For example, your profile shows you are in Florida. My guess is winter in Florida is like Summer in Bend. And Winter is Bend is probably like Summer to SeekSolitude. If you have snow in the winter - not a given - you can use it to build a wind break or berm around the tarp. Or you could get a tarp with doors - extra material at the ends that can close to make the enclosure similar a single wall tent (with hammock inside).

Your mention of “winter” seems to indicate you are concerned with heat retention/warmth. But that issue is usually handled by your Top Quilt (or sleeping bag) and Under Quilt (or Pad). Certainly a WinterDream will enclose you more than a WB MiniFly. One’s candidate list can go on and on, but I’m surprised you didn’t include the venerable WB SuperFly.

I would think many of the Cottage Industry tarps could have an internal pole mode added by the vendor, modified by 2QZQ (now with Dutchware), or added youself by attaching Beastie Rings to the guyline tie outs - either at the edge ends, in the middle, or both.

Then you have material - Silnylon, Silpoly, or DCF. Some colors/patterns only come in one fabric.

For me, the doors are worth the cost/weight/bulk increase. They extend the comfort range in a variety of conditions. But WarBonnet made it a more complicated decision with their “Fly” series - Mountain, Thunder, Mini. For some, that “half door” is enough.

If you are in Florida, your “winter” is significately different than winter in other parts of the country. What is it that you want the tarp to do - as a “winter tarp” contrasted to a “summer tarp”?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts