DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4

Best line to use with Fleaz

I have 6 Fleaz with Zing-it loops attached to my D-Rings on my Tarp. I use Glowire on my Orange Screw ground anchors (my soft-ground pegs) and find it doesn't go far into the Fleaz, but mostly holds OK. I have added some 1.75mm Zing It to my titanium tent nails (my hard-ground pegs) and that works OK with the Fleaz, but if the wind is blowing hard there is sometimes some slip, this means I have to re-tighten the lines a bunch of times. Does anyone use the 2.2mm Zing-it with Dutch Fleaz? I'm thinking that it might be better than Glowire and better than 1.75mm Zing-it, it is also stronger than either of my current options and that is never a bad thing. My Glowire is 2mm, but it feels very hard and stiff, maybe 2.2mm Zing-it squishes better into the groove on the Fleaz than the very stiff 2mm Glowire?

After each camping trip I try to analyse my setup, looking at what works well vs what could be better and making improvements to make my life easier on the next trip. I've ordered a 180ft mini spool of 2.2mm yellow Zing-it from Dutch and I'll give that a try with the Fleaz. Overall I've found that going to Fleaz was a good move, it makes my setup quicker & easier as well as making the take-down quicker and easier too. I leave the Fleaz on the tarp and just use some lengths of line with a bowline loop as guy lines - attach the lines to the Orange Screws (feeding the free ends through the loops) the free end of the lines then go around the Fleaz and I'm set.

Images
    Pretty sure they're designed for 1.75mm Zing It. You could try with the 2.2, and maybe pry the wing open slightly if it's too tight.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Trapeze line maybe?
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Pretty sure they're designed for 1.75mm Zing It. You could try with the 2.2, and maybe pry the wing open slightly if it's too tight.
    To be fair, it is only when it is really windy that my 1.75mm Zing-It pulls through the wing. But I'll give the 2.2mm a try and see how well I like that, I did need a new mini-spool of Zing-It anyway.

Images
    Different bug shown here, but have you tried multi wraps?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Different bug shown here, but have you tried multi wraps?

That would probably do the job, but I'd like to keep everything quick & easy for faster setup & take down - that's why I went to Fleaz. If the 2.2mm Zing-It goes in & holds well then it would solve my issue perfectly, but backup option could be to go with a multi wrap just when it is very windy.

One issue is that when I had a problem on a recent trip I had setup & gone to sleep when it was dead calm, but I woke up to a howling gale and my tarp flapping about a lot. I really want a system that is super quick & easy while also being near 100% reliable, if that is possible.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    I have Fleaz on both 1.75mm and 2.2mm zing-it.

I haven't had an issue with slippage using a double wrap, in fact I find that the first wrap (the 2nd unwrap) is sometimes difficult to undo and resort to unhooking the line so I can grip it from both sides of the Fleaz to slide the line from under the wing. That's because the Fleaz is so small it's not easy to get leverage on it when the line really gets wedged in. FYI, my Fleaz are very old so newer versions might have a different spacing under the wing.

When I've had to readjust tarp tensions, it's usually because the tent pegs have adjusted to soil/dirt/snow compression/failure rather than knot or hardware slippage.

Anyways, that's my experience with them.

Good luck.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiblets View Post
    When I've had to readjust tarp tensions, it's usually because the tent pegs have adjusted to soil/dirt/snow compression/failure rather than knot or hardware slippage.
    I also had an issue with one of the pegs, hammered into hard ground and unlikely to move, but the rain softened the ground and the peg go pulled out. But I definitely had the 1.75mm Zing-It pull through my Fleaz on all four corners. To be fair it is a large tarp and the wind was very gusty, there would have been a lot of force applied - 13' ridgeline winter tarp with doors.

Dutch has shipped my 2.2mm Zing-It, so I'll be trying that out to see how it works. I won't really have a chance to test fully until the next time I'm camping with strong gusty winds.

How strong was the wind? Once I had taken down my setup and loaded everything on the Motorcycle I went to the ferry (from Picton to Wellington), another ferry crossing the Cook Straight in the other direction (from Wellington to Picton) was unable to safely dock due to the strong winds and the passengers had to sit on the boat and wait for an extra 9 hours - normally a 3.5 hour sailing, they were on the boat for 12.5 hours. Luckily it wasn't so bad in the other direction and my sailing was under 4 hours, less than 30 minutes above normal.

• + New Posts