Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have you had your inflatable pad break due to hammock use?

Hi!

Was wondering since you are not lying flat on the ground which the pad is constructed for. The pad is bent around you and creates odd load and creases that might break it. I have large Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm...

All things wear out eventually but does hammock use shorten the lifespan of a pad?

BR
    Fred

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I used a pad in hammock I had it only lightly inflated.
    So no...never a breakage.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Same here, no issues. I use several different pads. If I'm using a self-inflatable, like a Thermarest Prolite, I just let it "self-inflate" and don't add any more air. If I'm using an air pad, I only inflate it to maybe 75% (even on the ground, I leave it pretty soft). I'm certain that the loads and wrinkles are less likely to lead to a leak than the loads and sharp objects that one experiences sleeping on the ground. The one pad that failed on me failed on the ground, not in the hammock.

One nice thing about the self-inflating Prolite - I've experimented with it by leaving the valve open to simulate a bad leak. Even in that "failed scenario" test, the open cell foam in the self-inflator provided enough insulation for cool nights. The same experiment with air pads proved that they are of no value without air.

Thanks for the replies and advice! Great video as usual Shug, definitely need to get me a SPE! I side sleep and usually just shove what ever cloths i have under my knee.

I had an uberlite pop a chamber in a 90° hammock after very little and gentle use. Though I have heard of chambers popping with those pads also on the ground, so I doubt, it's the hammock. Also as you hear nothing like that from other pads.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred77 View Post
    Thanks for the replies and advice! Great video as usual Shug, definitely need to get me a SPE! I side sleep and usually just shove what ever cloths i have under my knee.
    Last spring, I got my old Speer SPE out to play around with in my JRB bridge and HT90 hammocks. I did not have all of the side wings in, but still enough to cover my elbows and shoulders. I was using one full length TR Ridgerest CCF pad in these pictures. Years ago, with the addition of an ancient TR self inflating 1" thick torso sized pad stacked on this same full length CCF, all inside a Speer Gathered end hammock, I was toasty warm a bit below 20F. And still pretty comfy overall. First pic SPE in the JRB James River bridge.

2nd pic inside HammockTent 90:
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-03-2021 at 09:20.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    As Shug opined, I also only partially inflate an inflatable insulated pad in a hammock. Not because of concerns that it might cause damage, only because it is more comfortable. Especially in a HT90.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    As Shug opined, I also only partially inflate an inflatable insulated pad in a hammock. Not because of concerns that it might cause damage, only because it is more comfortable. Especially in a HT90.
    Though that reduces the insulation quite a bit I'm realising.
    So unless you're using a high r-value pad such as xtherm it might not do the job...

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Yes, but I blame the construction rather then the hammock. Was a kylmit inertia pad, not longer made. The type that had holes cut out for the ultralight crowd. Used in my case to add some cushion, rather then insulation. When I moved the pad under me, it ripped wide open. Kylmit failed to reply to my warranty claim, guessing because it's a ground pad used in a hammock.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    When I first got my Draumr, we set it up at Firesong's Little Shop of Hammocks, and tried a few different pads

the synmat 5, popped an internal seam/baffle while moving around on the hammock (warranty replaced, thankfully)

but other than that, I'm on 4ish years with the synmat9 in my draumr, and it's been good

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast