Yes, can see it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Delen Trekker View Post
    Very interesting Brian, it seems reasonable to me that there is an optimal amount of tension/pull. From leivioa’s comments and pictures though he seems to imply the “right” tension is the amount needed to mimic the arc of the hammock (un weighted I assume). If that’s close to the mark then the tension will change from UQ to UQ based on how heavy the UQ is ( winter vs summer UQ etc).

Does this mesh with your experience?

For some reason I can’t see your pictures? Too bad because I’m curios to see how you use the ring

Thanks
    Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done up clews for my gathered end hammocks, I designed a new bridge for me, but I need to upgrade the planned suspension. I was going to post this when I completed everything, but I can show what I have done so far.

I cut a piece of 1/2" grosgrain to go across the entire UG end, cut a few pieces of 1/4" x 1.5" grosgrain for loops , lay it out and make a mark at each baffle ... this pic is a progression, the mark, the pin up, the stitch

The strip with loops attached

Position the completed strip at the junction of the suspension channel and the end of the down channels, lining up with the baffles. Run 2 lines of stitching, one on each side of the strip .... this leaves the suspension channel intact and provides a continuos grosgrain header to apply the "pull"

Make up your suspension ... I use a 1" nylon D ring for the top and thread through the split rings to save some work

The only thing I do a bit different at this point is to slide the rings on to a small dowel with a small spring clamp at each end to keep them from tangling, I undo the clamp, slide a ring off, redo clamp, open split ring and attach to loop .... repeat till all are installed.

As you noted Leivioa suggests using smaller shock cord and there is a very good reason for this .... that tension balance you mentioned. I have 13 clews and loop the shock as shown, basically creating 26 cords/suspension ... I planned to have each cord stretch 50% and end up with about 6 pounds of pull ..... at each end for a total of 12 pounds. It was a guess... unfortunately it wasn't a good guess. Something around 3 - 5 pounds may be best for my quilt (still guessing) ... i could just loosen the suspension, but there is also geometry here and the longer your suspension the better the pull characteristics are for a bridge. Going from 50% stretch to 20% is a big chunk and I will feel better, redoing the suspension with a longer base and adjust from there.

I did evaluate the implications of going to 1/32" shock cord, but it would be about 4x less pull and I think that will be too low .... so the current work will be to redo my current stuff at 20% stretch and about 4 pounds of pull.

Brian
    Last edited by Cruiser51; 02-28-2021 at 20:00.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Mtn
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    DIY 2x UQ soon TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie / Marlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    I have done up clews for my gathered end hammocks, I designed a new bridge for me, but I need to upgrade the planned suspension. I was going to post this when I completed everything, but I can show what I have done so far.

I cut a piece of 1/2" grosgrain , lay it out and make a mark at each baffle ... this pic is a progression, the mark, the pin up, the stitch

Attachment 184561

The strip with loops attached

Attachment 184562

Position the completed strip at the junction of the suspension channel and the end of the down channels, lining up with the baffles. Run 2 lines of stitching, one on each side of the strip .... this leaves the suspension channel intact and provides a continuos grosgrain header to apply the "pull"

Attachment 184563

Make up your suspension ... I use a 1" nylon D ring for the top and thread through the split rings to save some work

Attachment 184564

The only thing I do a bit different at this point is to slide the rings on to a small dowel with a small spring clamp at each end to keep them from tangling, I undo the clamp, slide a ring off, redo clamp, open split ring and attach to loop .... repeat till all are installed.

Attachment 184565

As you noted Leivioa suggests using smaller shock cord and there is a very good reason for this .... that tension balance you mentioned. I have 13 clews and loop the shock as shown, basically creating 26 cords/suspension ... I planned to have each cord stretch 50% and end up with about 6 pounds of pull ..... at each end for a total of 12 pounds. It was a guess... unfortunately it wasn't a good guess. Something around 3 - 5 pounds may be best for my quilt (still guessing) ... i could just loosen the suspension, but there is also geometry here and the longer your suspension the better the pull characteristics are for a bridge. Going from 50% stretch to 20% is a big chunk and I will feel better, redoing the suspension with a longer base and adjust from there.

I did evaluate the implications of going to 1/32" shock cord, but it would be about 4x less pull and I think that will be too low .... so the current work will be to redo my current stuff at 20% stretch and about 4 pounds of pull.

Brian
    Hey Brian, as low tech mentioned the split ring pictures came through but your most recent did. Even got a “contact the admin” warning for the first two.

That said, I really have no experience with bridge set ups but I get the feeling there are some big differences compared to a simple gathered end.

The good news it’s clear how you’re using the split rings. At first I thought you were using them to adjust tension but it really just a clever way to connect the clew to the quilt. And you say this weighs less than using plastic snaps? Interesting because I would not have thought so.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and experience.

A spool of 1/16 cord is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Hope to hit the trail on Wednesday with a knew clew. We’ll see what we see

Cheers
    Ken

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I redid the links, hopefully it worked ....

Brian

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Mtn
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    DIY 2x UQ soon TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie / Marlin
    Roger that, the pictures are up and it makes things a lot clearer. Looks pretty nice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12