Hampton Roads Virginia. Longtime lurker finally trying to contribute.

I first found out about Hammock Camping in 2014 and couldn't believe it existed! People camp in hammocks!! I love backyard hammocks and down here where I live is close to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. "Nags Head Hammocks" is a thing. That's those beachy rope hammocks with the big bridge bar at each end. This "gathered end" thing was way different. It didn't flip you out if you leaned the wrong way!

I learned everything I could from Shug's video's and searching this forum. I bought the cheapest Amazon hammock and cut up some tow straps to hang from. I learned how to make amsteel continuous loops and whoopie slings. I got a Skeeter Beeter and made polycro tarps for my first "real" backpacking weekend up on the AT (Paul C Wolfe shelter). Just used a pad and it worked fine. I made a PLUQ from info I learned here. I made a summer weight "clew" quilt from that epic thread. I even made the Hammocalc app for the Windows Surface app store just to see if I could make an app.

I lurked here, searching and reading often but never felt like I had anything to add that was helpful but I'm trying to change that. These communities need participation and so I'm gonna try and be better.

My forum name is Chicondaman but I'm Matt. I used Chicondaman becuase of that old TV show Chico and the Man was mentioned on a show I was watching a while ago and no one ever seems to have it as a username anywhere but every version of "matt" is taken.

Thanks for all the help over the years. Talk to you soon.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Nothing like, getting out in piney woods. Impressive that you’ve made some of your gear.
    Shout out from Denton NC
    Yates Hang is calling you

• + New Posts