Thread: Going To Ground

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Suspension
    Poly with Beetle B

Going To Ground

Experienced hanger here, but never "gone to ground" (live in the east and use tent when out west). Planning Collegiate Loop (Colorado) and concerned about lack of trees. My set up seems good for ground (i.e., Hammock Gear Tarp with doors and I use hiking poles) -- so not too concerned. Considering a Nemo Switchback closed foam pad instead of my Sea to Summit inflatable (for "ground" purposes). Thoughts or suggestions? Anyone hammocked the Collegiate Loop -- love to hear experiences or problems???

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    Hey, I dont know what the collegiate loop is, so grain of salt, but have you considered not going to ground? There are a variety of hammock stands out now, with different pros and cons.
    I'm looking at getting a couple of tensa solos, seem like the budget backpacking option, although a lot of people seem to like the tensa free standing one. I also like thunder-domes hang solo, though that might be more of a car camping one.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I sometimes have to go to ground when kayak camping. Because it’s a kayak, I can bring REI collapsible poles - but hiking poles would work. I set down a ground sheet - black visqueen - and put my pad (old Therm-a-rest ¾ length) on that. Then I put down some hammock that has a built-in bug net (so the hammock bottom is protected by the ground sheet and pad). I tie the bug net (hammock ends) to the poles to lift it off my face. The poles also hold the tarp. Not my favorite setup, but it isn’t intended for the majority of days - just an occasional use.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Suspension
    Poly with Beetle B
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I sometimes have to go to ground when kayak camping. Because it’s a kayak, I can bring REI collapsible poles - but hiking poles would work. I set down a ground sheet - black visqueen - and put my pad (old Therm-a-rest ¾ length) on that. Then I put down some hammock that has a built-in bug net (so the hammock bottom is protected by the ground sheet and pad). I tie the bug net (hammock ends) to the poles to lift it off my face. The poles also hold the tarp. Not my favorite setup, but it isn’t intended for the majority of days - just an occasional use.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Suspension
    Poly with Beetle B
    Thanks. Your rig is essentially the scheme I am trying to figure out -- i.e., having the pieces in mind for a "what if?". . . . .

Images
    @cougarmeat: How much does your black plastic weigh? and what size did you cut it to?

I am planning to head down to the Illinois River area next month. Most of the Kalmiopsis has been repeatedly burned over. Trees may not be safe to hang from. But i also hate carrying extra stuff just in case.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have hiked quite a bit in the Sawatch range, including some of the collegiate peaks, and definitely thing you'll be able to find places to hang. I often bump into places in Colorado where it would be easy enough just to go to ground so that you can sleep above treeline and wake up early to summit. Honestly, 11,500' is about where treeline is, so you can camp below treeline and summit early for a sunrise summit push (3,500' of elevation gain for a 14'er is not uncommon). If you want to go that route, consider the durability of your pad, TBH. I carry a 1/8" gossamer foam pad to go under any other pad I might bring, but I'd worry about putting a 20D fabric on bare rock (which there is plenty of in Colorado).

Also, my base weight is in the 12 pound range, so on some 14'er trips, I'll bring both my hammock and my 1-pound tent (Tarptent Aeon Li), and forgo an underquilt for a pad, knowing that I may go to ground depending on what I find there.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Suspension
    Poly with Beetle B
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    I have hiked quite a bit in the Sawatch range, including some of the collegiate peaks, and definitely thing you'll be able to find places to hang. I often bump into places in Colorado where it would be easy enough just to go to ground so that you can sleep above treeline and wake up early to summit. Honestly, 11,500' is about where treeline is, so you can camp below treeline and summit early for a sunrise summit push (3,500' of elevation gain for a 14'er is not uncommon). If you want to go that route, consider the durability of your pad, TBH. I carry a 1/8" gossamer foam pad to go under any other pad I might bring, but I'd worry about putting a 20D fabric on bare rock (which there is plenty of in Colorado).

Also, my base weight is in the 12 pound range, so on some 14'er trips, I'll bring both my hammock and my 1-pound tent (Tarptent Aeon Li), and forgo an underquilt for a pad, knowing that I may go to ground depending on what I find there.
    THANKS! Exactly the info I wanted to hear.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    FireBall, The size of the visqueen is around 6 feet long about about 4 ft wide. It’s about 3mil thick and hardly weighs a thing. If I’m not using it as a go-to-ground sheet, it’s under my hammock (maybe folded in half) as a ground sheet. But I do have to be a little careful getting out of the hammock wearing socks because the plastic sheet can be slippery. I chose the black visqueen because I figured it would dry faster in the sun. I also put a little duct tape on each corner. Just that little weight helps it stay put in a very slight breeze, plus, I write Top/Botton on the tape so I can keep one side a little cleaner. Because the ground sheet is borrowed from a tent setup, I also write the model of the tent on the tape so I can put it back with its tent. Over the decades, I’ve accumulated a few tents and other gear. I think they party at night in the garage and sometime rainfly, ground sheet, poles, stakes get … mingled.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts