Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    cmines, you have a valid point about laivoia and I being from Oregon and perhaps having a “belt and suspenders” mentality. My point is, the tarp is not just for rain. Once, at Patos Island (San Juans, north of NW of Orcas, WA) a golden eagle landed on a branch about 15 ft (vertical) from my hammock/tarp. We were all “Look, an eagle!” and taking pictures. Apparently the eagle was not pleased with the attention and before flying away, the eagle “let fly” out the bottom end. The “detritus” just barely missed my tarp. Maybe it didn’t look enough like the jeep’s hood/roof. If I were just using the Envoy-S - sort of like a trail lair with netting and wind shield - it would have been a mess to clean up. Same with any tree sap.

There are lots of things I carry that I don’t need; And I’m glad I don’t need to use them. But should the need appear, I’d be happy that they are there.

I can completely appreciate the freedom of not carrying a tarp or other heavy-ish gear that time after time has proved unnecessary. When I did the Oregon PCT, I just had a Gore-Tex bivi bag. I didn’t know about tarps. I figured the waterproof bivi bag was lighter, smaller footprint, than a tent. And it was. Except the only time I was “sheltered” was when I was in the bivi bag. All other activity meant I was out in the elements (AND I LIKED IT!). So understand you will be in the “shelter” of your hammock for sleeping but out in the elements for everything else. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just say’n.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    All good points guys.

The ultimate goal is a DCF tarp and that will happen eventually, but that's $300-450 for a 16-20oz weight savings. I just bought a couple lightweight things like a lighter pack and stove and cut over 38oz for less than $300, so the DCF tarp is the ultimate solution, but cant be justified until I cut the cheaper weight (or have a hankering to hike a long distance in a rainy area. On that note I'll be in OR in July and would love to stay a night at Mirror Lake near Mt Hood. Definitely bringing the tarp for that)

Although after this latest round of equipment cutting and lightening, I think the only thing in line before a DCF tarp is a warm weather top quilt like a 40* Burrow (PM me if you have one to sell, or for that matter a small/cheap/old DCF tarp. high cost is the only reason I dont have one already).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    On that note I'll be in OR in July and would love to stay a night at Mirror Lake near Mt Hood.
    Don't. That is the most overcrowded, overhyped hike in all Oregon. There are millions of other places you can find that are as good or better without the crowds and terrible parking situation.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Also, there’s a Mirror Lake near Bend, OR. So make sure any description you read applies to the right lake. As with the one near Mt. Hood, the trail to Bend’s Mirror Lake can be very busy. The good news is … shhhhh (don’t tell anyone), if you keep going beyond Mirror Lake (near Bend), there are many other small lakes and good trees (remember, camp 200 ft - ish from the lake) just a little further down the trail.

I used to think Sullivan’s 101 Hike’s book was a net loss because of all the crowding on the trails he described. Of course it got me out of a chair and into the woods back in the mid-70’s. And now I see it as a guide for were NOT TO GO - at least on the weekends. Or if I do go on a describe hike, I know I won’t be “alone”. At least, as a retired dude, I can wait till mid-week.

Just a note about Oregon in July - once I hiked into Strawberry Lakes on the 4th of July weekend. We had to cut our trip short because we had light summer gear and got a inch or two of snow. And these years, the summer is not complete without a few weeks of “stay indoors” smoke from fires in or around (looking at you CA and WA) states.

I am not trying to discourage you, I just want you to be prepared. Have a Plan-B. From SoCal, you’ve probably seen enough ocean. For me, living in “high desert” country, it’s a treat to watch crashing waves. The downside is, all the official camp areas on the coast are state run. Maybe I should say $tate run.

If you hike anywhere in WA or OR and see all those tall green trees, they didn’t get that way with just a two or three month “rainy season”. Whole lot-o-difference between the area west of the Cascade Mt. range and SoCal.

On the other hand, you might have perfect, warm, summer days. It’s a dice roll.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I've camped 2 nights with no tarp so far and have had a good experience. The semi-arid southern california conditions around me work perfect for no tarp, so its usefulness is limited by climate, but with just the Argon 90 top cover, I've been comfortable and happy. Nights were 45ish, low to no wind. Trees were deciduous (no sap drips to worry about). The birds are sparse (no poop). Rain/dew is non existent (going to be another bad fire year). I'm rocking the tarpless setup for the quick overnights and low-consequence spring/summer/fall semi-arid camping.

Also my new-to-me 11oz/20d Minifly worked nicely during my last 20 mile hike. Nice to have options!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12