Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR

Using a pole when missing a tree.

I've made several posts about using a pole when the tree situation was submitted optimal. Ive used an aluminum Kelty pole a couple of dozen times over the past couple of yrs. I weigh around 160 lbs. The pole failed the last time. Not a hit the ground failure, but a section bent when getting in to test.
    Normally I will set it up and watch the pole when I get in the hammock. The pole needs to be straight and vertical. If it isn't I will see it flex or start to bend, then I reposition the pole and try it again. When it bent, I wasn't watching the pole. I had placed the end on a flat rock, because I was in sand. I think the rock stepped out increasing the angle. Anyway a section bent.
    Ill check the local Army Navy surplus store for a stronger pole, probably steel and twice as heavy.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I "one pole" alot and never put my pole straight up vertical, it's always at a slope. The pole and the two straps going to ground anchors make a tripod in my setup. The pole being inline w/ the hammock.
    Hope that makes sense. I have some pics from this past week where we did a double pole setup for both of our hammocks in a campground that wouldn't let trees be used, but they are on my camera at the moment.

Found this one on my phone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Take a look at Tensa solo poles. They’re aluminum and designed to handle the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    I ran across this photo years ago, don't remember the source. I use these same Kelty poles but for tarps only. They come in two grades/strengths. I use the better one, quite sturdy.

kelty adjustable tarp poles for hammock.jpg

For a one pole one tree setup, I use a length of 1" EMT conduit, with holes drilled all the way up and long enough to hang a tarp, and two V lines to 2 large landscape spikes for the single pole. About the same as Tensa Solo does. I also have a second pole which gives me the same as a Tensa 4 would, almost anywhere.

Of course if there are any trees nearby, there's this simpler improv quickie method --or for near the home or car, try it with a 2 x 4, pointed on the ground end. Cheap and works fine as long as it doesn't have any knots where it would snap.

One Tree Hammock Setup

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Here, in the northern hardwood forests, trees are often old and big, and a single limb dropping suddenly, which they sometimes do even without a breeze, would kill you or least break you up badly. Happened south of here to a teenage girl tent camping with her church group in PA a few years ago. Tragic. Always look overhead. What the one tree one pole setup does in these situations is let you hang at the edge of an older woods, outside the perimeter of most of the trees, minimizing your risk. Or inside the woods but avoiding most or all of the big limbed trees. From the pics I see of places in Maine and Colorado, I don't see many big thick trees where there is a forest. Power and telephone poles often are great for one- "tree" setups, and no limbs overhead.

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I "one pole" alot and never put my pole straight up vertical, it's always at a slope. The pole and the two straps going to ground anchors make a tripod in my setup. The pole being inline w/ the hammock.
    Hope that makes sense. I have some pics from this past week where we did a double pole setup for both of our hammocks in a campground that wouldn't let trees be used, but they are on my camera at the moment.

Found this one on my phone.
    Thanks. I was thinking that angling the pole like you do would reduce the load on the anchors. Ill try that next time. Soon I hope, starting to warm up.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles

I carry my two solo poles everywhere I go in the canoe, skiffs, and truck. They stay home when I’m hoofin it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Thanks. I was thinking that angling the pole like you do would reduce the load on the anchors. Ill try that next time. Soon I hope, starting to warm up.

Sent from my couch
    It reduces it greatly. My first few attempts it really tried pulling the anchors out, then I got the angle down to almost the same as the hammock (30°) and have very little pull on the anchors.
    Now that I have it figured in a way that I like I'm going to splice up some lines and put the ratchet straps back in my "cargo hauling" toolbox.

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Thanks. I use amsteel but the dogbones are zing it. Ill probability switch to all zing-it to reduce the bulk.

Just below Hover **** last month.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    saltily - please describe your anchor (in the sand) system a bit. Are those Tensa Solo poles?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast