Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I have used the Kelty tarp pole many times, but I recommend something more heavy duty. Check your local Army Navy surplus store for a source. Trekking poles, NO, NO.
    18-24" sectional steel poles should be fine. The Kelty works for me, but I only weigh 160lbs.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
    What kind of poles?
    They said they were using Tensa Solos.
    https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...ory/tensasolo/

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakOverland View Post
    I echo this post. I have been reading and looking for ideas on what pole I could use. I am wanting to know if anyone has used a trekking pole if so what kind? I am trying to figure out what minimal pole I can carry in my pack. I am thinking while out on assignment I will be using the rack on my truck as one tree and trying to figure what to use on the other side that will work. I am not always in a treed environment. I realize the easy answer is go buy a solo pole from tensa but there has to be people out there carrying a pole in with them.

Any suggestions?
    I've used military camo-net spreader poles. They come in sections that are either aluminum or some form of plastic. I've been using the aluminum ones, two section for each end.
    They would definitely hold the weight. Of course they are not light but work for car camping

Oh, and if the ground is soft or sandy I put a soup can on the bottom and set them in a bit of a hole so they don't slip or sink.
    Last edited by LowTech; 03-18-2021 at 19:39.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    I'm planning on doing some backyard experiments with some regular lumber pieces to get a feel for the forces involved in hanging from one tree with a pole. I'm a big dude so I want to find out where the breaking stresses are.

But...

What about using a sturdy walking stick as the pole? I usually use trekking poles but a good sturdy stick would work just as well. I did some internet research on the strongest woods for walking sticks and found a few contenders:

https://www.lennyscanes.com/osage-or...walking-stick/

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/ironwood-walking-staff

Anyone tried this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I'm new here and so probably don't get the benefit of the doubt, but I've researched this idea pretty extensively and concluded that there are two categories of logical choice: (1) something heavy and sturdy that you don't want to lug around with anything other than a motorcycle or car and (2) Tensa Solo. The Tensa Solo is a bargain for what it provides. There's no comparison or substitute, only bigger or bulkier things (lumber, steel poles, other poles that only break down into large pieces, etc). I understand the reluctance to she'll out dough for something that seems like basically just a pole. But depending on your needs or wants, it could be well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by mmveets View Post
    I know I'm new here and so probably don't get the benefit of the doubt, but I've researched this idea pretty extensively and concluded that there are two categories of logical choice: (1) something heavy and sturdy that you don't want to lug around with anything other than a motorcycle or car and (2) Tensa Solo. The Tensa Solo is a bargain for what it provides. There's no comparison or substitute, only bigger or bulkier things (lumber, steel poles, other poles that only break down into large pieces, etc). I understand the reluctance to she'll out dough for something that seems like basically just a pole. But depending on your needs or wants, it could be well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    I agree and will be getting a Tensa Solo for kayaking, . . . but until then I'll just use what I have around camp.
    I did want to get the method worked out before spending some limited coin. Because of that I started w/ some of the previously mentioned spreader poles, some closet poles (didn't have enough spreader poles for the two of us), 8 ratchet straps, and some rebar stakes (they work well in the hard desert soil).
    Now that I know the angles that I like it's time to splice up some lines and drop the straps. Also adding some sand stakes to the mix for soft ground.
    The poles I'll keep using in our base camp as I carry them anyway.

If you don't need the straps and anchors the Solo is also available as just the pole.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
    The earlier link I posted was incomplete. Didn't work. My apologies.

This link is correct. One tree, one impromptu pole, and only one line to the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57I_HLsEnbc
    It is really brilliant idea but only if your anchor is very solid and heavy. It is a huge field for imagination and improvisation if you have many things to use around you. I'm not sure it is possible to anchor such pole using 1 rope and the stakes. I've tried to do such construction with stakes in the solid ground and always it was failed - I landed on the ground at the end
    Blessed are those who have nothing to say and yet remain silent...

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Its doable with a single line (dynema or something strong with no stretch) and pole. Tie to the tree at head height walk your pole out to where you need it (about 15' from your target tree. Attach hammock proceed to next tree strap it and hang it. I did it with my Kelty pole between trees about 40-50' apart.

Sent from my couch

Quote Originally Posted by cejot View Post
    It is really brilliant idea but only if your anchor is very solid and heavy. It is a huge field for imagination and improvisation if you have many things to use around you. I'm not sure it is possible to anchor such pole using 1 rope and the stakes. I've tried to do such construction with stakes in the solid ground and always it was failed - I landed on the ground at the end
    Pole experience from a Pole! Does it get any better than that!!! Cześć. (I don't really speak the language well, just enough to order a beer or two in Warszawa or Kraków.)
    Last edited by TominMN; 04-03-2021 at 09:48.

Nice to hear it TominMN especially you use all polish words with correct letters like: ć,ś or ó which are for foreigners very diffcult .

I agree ibgary but only if you anchor the pole to another standing or laying tree . I still try to find apropriate spikes construction very well anchored in the ground as well as in the sand and still light to carry.
    Blessed are those who have nothing to say and yet remain silent...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast