Haven XL vs Amock Draumr vs Lawson Blure Ridge

Looking for pluses and minuses.
    My brother and I have been doing BWCA and Quetico canoe trips for 35 years.
    Current ages 58,61 with more than a few aches and pains. 6'2 200lbs. 6'1 180lbs
    I have slept 2 or 3 nights in a generic hammock. And did well enough to take the next step.
    As you can tell by the title. We are looking at lay flat hammocks.
    Most trips are done late May or early June. So nights can get chilly. 40's maybe 30sF.
    Our current tent is nearly a screen tent with a tight fitting rainfly. So doesn't retain much heat. But good ventilation.

Observations.
    1 Lawson is wider than Haven xl 42 vs 30in.
    2. Lawson if strung tight can be tippy.
    3. The Haven might be tall enough to sit upright and get dressed with bug net and rainfly attached. Not sure about the other two.
    4.I have not seen a good video of any of the three being used with bug net and rainfly. Getting in and out of and getting dressed.
    5. Most likely we will use a larger tarp over the top of all three to extend "dry zone" .
    6. The Haven and Lawson has a rainfly that can be drawn down to limit ventilation on those cold nights.
    7. I have a new Big Agnes 20x78 insulated air mattress that slides in my big agnes sleeping bag.
    How will this air mattress work with these hammocks.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    Amok gets the most 'positive press' here.
    Here's a couple videos on them
    Earlier generation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfsGdsTUTAU , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXkzajtQTvA
    Current generation in XL size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWdatsAnu7Q

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I started with a Lawson but retired it.
    Have an Amok and Haven. Both lay very flat.
    Amok can be somewhat trick to master the ingress and egress loaded with gear and bug-net. Though "chair-mode" is amazing. I have used my Exped XP 9 downmat in my Amok. 25.5x77.5 Amok need pads with longitudinal baffles to be effective. So your Big Agnes may be OK but at 20 inches a bit thin. Amoks pads are 25 inches.
    Haven is an easy in and out. I heard they just started offering their wider version. One con to Haven is that it is narrow. Takes getting used to. The Haven pad is very specific and other pads do not work well with it.
    I'd like to add that I rarely ever change in my hammock. Sometimes sitting sideways in it but I usually stand up out of the hammock to change.
    I use the Haven out on a trip in the first video.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 02-24-2021 at 14:19.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    I know it's not on your list, but the Warbonnet Ridgerunner is a lay-flat hammock. You can get it in a double layer that will accept a 25" inflatable pad nicely; some people have stuffed partially inflated 30" pads in there I believe. I am a dedicated side sleeper and sleep very comfortably in my Ridgerunners, either with an underquilt (fall-winter-spring) or the pad in summer. Your weights are within the Ridgerunner single-layer specs (200lb max) although the double layer will comfortably handle 250lbs.

Not as tippy as my spouse's Lawson, but not something I have ever tried to change my clothes in. You can get a "Spindrift" sock from Warbonnet that goes over the whole hammock to create a floating tent, giving you some heat retention and privacy. The use of an underquilt with the Ridgerunner is extremely simple and foolproof: hook the 4 corners of the quilt to the suspension, get in, enjoy the warmth.

A random YouTuber review here: https://youtu.be/uqpwcX0PrTQ

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    I have both both the amok and haven. No experience with the Lawson. I just transitioned from tents last year and don’t have the experience of the other hammockers here so keep that in mind. They are both fantastic products but I prefer the haven. What I like most about it is what other hammockers seem to dislike... the rainfly. I absolutely love how it’s part of the design and stays attached. I don’t camp for extended stays (young kids) and choose to ideally not camp in rainy weather, so I don’t need a big footprint tarp over my setup. There is definitely more room in the amok. My least favorite thing about the haven is it’s width. It is narrow. The xl version coming out should solve that but I’m thinking it won’t be quite as flat a lay as the original.(wider pad, more deflection in the center) as for getting dressed in any hammock... I can’t even imagine that. I’ve never been a great sleeper when camping, even in tents, so I’m hopeful that as I “practice” more and more with the haven I’ll get more accustomed to its narrow width. That’s my hope anyway... I like it that much. The insulated haven pad is decent, not a true 4 season. But should be great at the temps you listed. Amoks winter lite pad will take you to lower temps. One thing I dislike about the amok is it sways a lot more from front to back. That might not bother others at all.
    Like someone else said don’t discount the ridge runner.
    Whatever you decide ....lay flat and prosper.
    kris
    Last edited by Kmazuro; 02-24-2021 at 18:02.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    getting dressed in a hammock just isn't really a thing. out of the hammock and under the tarp? absolutely

I'm a big Draumr proponent

the chair mode is something that just isn't really available in other hammocks.

lots of folks are able to sit side saddle, and lean back in a regular gathered end and are comfortable, but it's not quite the same

Haven and Draumr are good choices for canoe camp, as you may just end up on a rocky isle without great tree spacing. so they can go to ground much more comfortably than other hammocks (sleeping pads, obviously)

and as others have said, draumr and haven really require specific pads, and while you could cram the big agnes in the draumr, and it'll technically work, you really want a 25" wide pad for it

Images
    Keep in mind that the Haven XL is 6" wider than the standard version that some folks have used around here. Amazingly, it weighs about the same due to some changes in materials. Still, if weight is a concern, it seems to run several pounds heavier than most of my other hammocks + net + pad (or UQ) + tarp. It weighs 7 lbs 2 oz. with the 30" wide R value 4 pad.

Compared to say my older style( weight limit 225 LB? ) Hammocktent 90 which weighs about 26 0z with net plus a 20 oz X-therm pad only 25" wide, but a whopping R value of 6.9, plus say a 22 oz tarp = 68 oz or 4.25 lb. That is a pretty stout weight difference, I'm not sure what accounts for all of that? I have been on the verge of ordering a Haven for a while, but I keep hesitating. Wondering how much better it would really be(if any) compared to my HT90, or even my JRB James River or WB Ridgeline? Even those these later two are better with pads(for any who prefer a pad) than most other hammocks, I can tell the Haven would be better still(with a pad). As is the HT90 and probably an Amok. The main thing I think I would like better with the Haven vs the HT90 would be entry and maybe sitting around, using as a chair, and a more traditional tarp set up than the 90º.

I have the haven regular, a ridgerunner and a Hennessy explorer. To me, the ridgerunner is slightly more comfy than the haven. Ridgerunner much less convenient. ..and more tippy. For a quick set up with possibility of going to ground, haven. If you're a side sleeper, haven shoulder squeeze won't matter. It's stable enough to dress in, I have. I like the tarp set up. Tight against the hammock if needed and easy to space out, disconnect if not. Packs really fast. Appears waterproof on edges from wind driven rain.

FWIW I use a cosmo nemo pad that slides into a cosmo stratoloft bag and fits the haven. I'm a dirt biker and space is at a premium kn a saddlebag..long poles are an issue as well as complex set ups.
    Last edited by Prime_Beef; 03-18-2021 at 16:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmazuro View Post
    I have both both the amok and haven. No experience with the Lawson. I just transitioned from tents last year and don’t have the experience of the other hammockers here so keep that in mind. They are both fantastic products but I prefer the haven. What I like most about it is what other hammockers seem to dislike... the rainfly. I absolutely love how it’s part of the design and stays attached. I don’t camp for extended stays (young kids) and choose to ideally not camp in rainy weather, so I don’t need a big footprint tarp over my setup. There is definitely more room in the amok. My least favorite thing about the haven is it’s width. It is narrow. The xl version coming out should solve that but I’m thinking it won’t be quite as flat a lay as the original.(wider pad, more deflection in the center) as for getting dressed in any hammock... I can’t even imagine that. I’ve never been a great sleeper when camping, even in tents, so I’m hopeful that as I “practice” more and more with the haven I’ll get more accustomed to its narrow width. That’s my hope anyway... I like it that much. The insulated haven pad is decent, not a true 4 season. But should be great at the temps you listed. Amoks winter lite pad will take you to lower temps. One thing I dislike about the amok is it sways a lot more from front to back. That might not bother others at all.
    Like someone else said don’t discount the ridge runner.
    Whatever you decide ....lay flat and prosper.
    kris
    Has anyone rigged up anti-sway lines with shock cord for a Draumr? I dislike too much swaying. It seems like it would be easy run the lines to the same stakes for the tarp at the head and foot ends?

Another question for those that have used either (or both) the Draumr and the Haven: do either of them feel "fidgety" or tippy in any sense, as a bridge hammock does? I move around a lot in my sleep, and when I bought a bridge hammock to try the general "tippy" feeling actually woke me up every time I switched postions.

• + New Posts