Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

Velcro or tape to assist in UQ fit

So, seeing as I'm having pretty consistent fit issues with my UQ in one particular spot (under where the calf ridge either is or would be), I've been pondering using velcro or something else to pull the UQ up that 2" in the problem spot. Has anyone done something similar? Probably best not to use velcro with down I'd assume.

Images
    Tape comes off nylon pretty easy. Even duct tape. Velcro is a bit intrusive i think, but has same problem - sticky backing wont stick long. Pulling the suspension tighter, pulling up, using triangle thingies, or other simplistic suggestions won't fix this either.

The real solution is to pull the quilt lengthwise so it fills the calf ridge space. You need a DYI quilt suspension hack for that though. I fixed this problem switching to clew suspension.

The other (much easier) solution is to avoid the problem altogether: Get yourself a giant knee pillow that takes up that entire space and flattens the ridge too. I'm currently using a vacuum travel bag. With that, you won't feel an air gap under the calf ridge, or even the calf ridge itself! These are <$5 so i recommend this option first.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Have you tried shortening your primary suspension yet to keep it in place, or use the triangle things to bring it up.
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Yeah, there's a 10 page thread on the adjustments. I'll get it right one night, make no changes and be miserable the next. I'm really more interested in how to make this more bulletproof via modification at this point.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Maybe something like THIS?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Tape comes off nylon pretty easy. Even duct tape. Velcro is a bit intrusive i think, but has same problem - sticky backing wont stick long. Pulling the suspension tighter, pulling up, using triangle thingies, or other simplistic suggestions won't fix this either.

The real solution is to pull the quilt lengthwise so it fills the calf ridge space. You need a DYI quilt suspension hack for that though. I fixed this problem switching to clew suspension.

The other (much easier) solution is to avoid the problem altogether: Get yourself a giant knee pillow that takes up that entire space and flattens the ridge too. I'm currently using a vacuum travel bag. With that, you won't feel an air gap under the calf ridge, or even the calf ridge itself! These are <$5 so i recommend this option first.
    Reading the clew thread, I like the idea, but have an incubator.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The trouble with Velcro Tape is you have to be real careful how much you use so the “stick” of the velcro isn’t stronger than the stick of the adhesive tape. For example, I one put three strips on the bottom my kayak to hold a foam seat in place, yet allow occasional adjustment, front to back. But when I tried to move it, the adhesive would come off the kayak bottom because the Velcro stuck more to itself than its tape adhesive the bottom of the boat. Once I reduced the strip to one smaller strip, it held the seat in place, yet stuck to the bottom of the boat so I could lift/move the seat without peeling off the bottom tape.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-25-2021 at 15:54.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You really have seemed to struggle with that UQ.
    Maybe try a different UQ or look at a hammock like the Superior Hammock with built in UQ. No gaps at all.
    Not every piece of gear works for everyone the same unfortunately.
    At a certain point the time you put in trying to get it to work out weighs the time you could just be enjoying it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You really have seemed to struggle with that UQ.
    Maybe try a different UQ or look at a hammock like the Superior Hammock with built in UQ. No gaps at all.
    Not every piece of gear works for everyone the same unfortunately.
    At a certain point the time you put in trying to get it to work out weighs the time you could just be enjoying it.
    Shug
    Superior hammock is on order. I've got to do something while I wait. Idle mind and all.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    I'll get it right one night, make no changes and be miserable the next.
    That's the frustrating thing. I still have no idea. I just cross my fingers and hope for the best. I seem to be good 9/10 times lately.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast